Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:36 PM

11 posts, read 32,624 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Although I've been to New Hampshire many times through my life (I live in Boston) I have only ever considered making it a future permenent home relatively recently. My grandparents have lived in New Hampshire for years, and I've always enjoyed how beautiful it is up there.

However, I'm a lesbian, and I'm not sure how this historically Rep state citizens really feel about the LGBT community. I know marriage is legal there now and all that, and that's great for me, but of course that doesn't really tell me how communities react to gays and lesbians in their community.

I am no rainbow-wearing, gay flag twirling, stereotype from gay pride parades. Besides being a life long tomboy (always in sneakers and a tshirt), I'm pretty conservative and quiet. Being from Massachusetts, I've always thought maybe I was spoiled by the general acceptance here. I've never hidden I was gay if someone were to ask, because I never think twice about it, I hardly think about it at all.

My dream is to build my own house from the ground up, and have a small self-sustaining gardening/livestock area, and NH seems like a pretty sweet spot for this. I would need to live near a city too because I work in the financial sector, so I was thinking somewhere close to Manchester, or some other city.

But really, what kind of welcoming can I expect from NH residents? Is it okay to be myself and introduce my wife to my neighbors?

Old 07-28-2012, 04:16 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
If your not pushing it in peoples faces , no one realy cares how you spend your free time. That being said just because you are gay dosnt mean ya have to vote democrat.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:55 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
If your not pushing it in peoples faces , no one realy cares how you spend your free time. That being said just because you are gay dosnt mean ya have to vote democrat.
What he said.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:01 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,155 times
If you're into a self-sustaining lifestyle, growing your own food and meat and building your own house you would be a welcome addition to NH.

Let's face it, there are a*&^%$#s everywhere, but generally folks here are tolerant and accepting of most, regardless of your political views, religious beliefs or sexuality. Again, as long as your not pushing your agenda down peoples throat.

I would be far less concerned about what people thought about you being gay and more concerned about what they will think about you being from MA. JMHO

Peace

Old 07-28-2012, 08:04 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,849 times
you don't have a wife you have a girfriend.. but come on down anyway

Old 07-28-2012, 08:39 AM

497 posts, read 953,088 times
Move here, build your dream.

no one will stop you, no one with threaten you.

common sense prevails.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:51 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNHguy View Post
Move here, build your dream.

no one will stop you, no one with threaten you.

common sense prevails.
Nope.. though we will work to repeal stupidity ( ie the gay marriage law ), in day to day living you would be just another person going about their daily lives. Don't much care who you are sleeping or living with.. pay your bills, live your life, enjoy the beauty of the state,

Old 07-28-2012, 09:00 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
no worries, like everyone has said: no one cares about it that much. Sorta like no one really cares what your skin pigmentation is either! It's how you conduct yourself that tells people who you are.Sometimes you run into people who worry about semantics of words, just be yourself.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:38 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
you don't have a wife you have a girfriend.. but come on down anyway
You do have a wife.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:39 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Nope.. though we will work to repeal stupidity ( ie the gay marriage law ), in day to day living you would be just another person going about their daily lives. Don't much care who you are sleeping or living with.. pay your bills, live your life, enjoy the beauty of the state,
Thankfully this is totally untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire