Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 08:04 PM

385 posts, read 586,945 times

Advertisements

The whole area is great, and a nice drive.

I'm heading out tommorrow and a nice round trip, which will include leaving auburn, Maine and heading to Berlin, nh, then onto Burlington vt area, to mount philo, then down to see ollie the camel, then onto Waterbury and cold hollow cider then back to Maine via the kangamagus highway to Conway and into Oxford Maine then home.

Skip

Last edited by slalemand; 10-27-2012 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Signed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 10:02 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,227,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
This area fits me just fine.
I'm a big outdoors person and the access to trails/lakes/mountains is just the best. My favorite spots are Red Hill and Copple Crown. The big lake is great, but can't afford to live too close to it!

Old 11-01-2012, 03:23 PM

30 posts, read 42,530 times
how did everybody make out with the hurricane? i did not suffer any damage to my house or car. we just had to throw out a bag of chicken cutlets. the after effects are not good-can't get gas,food in stores running low etc. just glad that me and my family made it through without a scratch. 14 dead on staten island. terrible tragedy.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:57 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,869,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman1 View Post
how did everybody make out with the hurricane? i did not suffer any damage to my house or car. we just had to throw out a bag of chicken cutlets. the after effects are not good-can't get gas,food in stores running low etc. just glad that me and my family made it through without a scratch. 14 dead on staten island. terrible tragedy.
Iv'e forgotten where you live roughly.....

I have been out and about in my area central and eastish NH and not much happened here, other than power losses. The rivers rose to lower flood stages, but no roads of much importance were washed out. A bunch of larger trees came down mostly because of the rain wetted the soil too much and the little winds we got blew them over root balls and all.

I took a few pics 'IF' you see that page the same way I do pics 4 and 5 are before and after. before is about 3 weeks before. After the river is up and one side runs dark and clear the other muddy. Kinda interesting. These are where the Swift meets the Saco.

Hurricane Sandy pictures by Mac_Muz - Photobucket

Old 11-01-2012, 05:44 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,227,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Iv'e forgotten where you live roughly.....

I have been out and about in my area central and eastish NH and not much happened here, other than power losses. The rivers rose to lower flood stages, but no roads of much importance were washed out. A bunch of larger trees came down mostly because of the rain wetted the soil too much and the little winds we got blew them over root balls and all.

I took a few pics 'IF' you see that page the same way I do pics 4 and 5 are before and after. before is about 3 weeks before. After the river is up and one side runs dark and clear the other muddy. Kinda interesting. These are where the Swift meets the Saco.

Hurricane Sandy pictures by Mac_Muz - Photobucket
Did any trees block roads? It always does surprise me a bit how easily they can fall due to shallow roots and wet soils.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Did any trees block roads? It always does surprise me a bit how easily they can fall due to shallow roots and wet soils.
Here and there trees few from wet roots and after the main storm passed a T storm followed that had somewhat more or lower ground winds that took out trees here and there too, but not in any real impacting ways.

Like coming back from Maine on a back road Rt 160 in Parsonsfield Me. there was a crew cutting one big spruce out of the road......

But no not really....

The biggest tree I am aware fell root ball and all right next to my driveway. This one is better than 100 feet tall and is a sugar maple. I don't think the pic does this majesty justice, but it is what it is. And next year by this time that wood will be all worked up in the field out back drying for the next years to come.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:33 AM

30 posts, read 42,530 times
glad to see that everyone is ok. the devestation out here in staten island is horrific. thankfully i live so high up on the island that i was not hurt at all.entire parts of the island wiped out.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:52 PM

This place wolverines grill is newer..... The building was a eatery before, and i forget since they come and go so quickly whay it was called.

My son didn't recall the place with the new name when i asked him and he would have driven by the place until his recent move twice a day.

He was living in Jackson NH up by the red covered bridge, and driving to Fryeburg Maine to work.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:18 PM

385 posts, read 586,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
This place wolverines grill is newer..... The building was a eatery before, and i forget since they come and go so quickly whay it was called.

My son didn't recall the place with the new name when i asked him and he would have driven by the place until his recent move twice a day.

He was living in Jackson NH up by the red covered bridge, and driving to Fryeburg Maine to work.
Nice area. Is wolverines in that area? Was it the Scarecrow before? Is your son a reacher? I ask because there isn't a whole hell of a lot in Fryeburg other then the school. Yes there is some stuff, just not much.

Skip

Old 11-13-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
Nice area. Is wolverines in that area? Was it the Scarecrow before? Is your son a reacher? I ask because there isn't a whole hell of a lot in Fryeburg other then the school. Yes there is some stuff, just not much.

Skip
No, Wolverines is just east/ south i guess of N Conway on the right leaving town. The Scarecrow is still there and seemingly doing fine. On rare occasions i go there, but almost never.

I have no idea what a reacher is, and guess you made a typo. At least that is what i want to believe..

But no my son is a engineer, and if you know the area you know who he works for. He is also NHNG.

That's 2 jobs he does and he is also a full blown carpenter when he wants to be, which could be on some of his off time, but he doesn't get much off time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire