Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:26 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,178,551 times

Advertisements

The house we bought last year has a metal roof and it also has gutters. Sometimes it looks like the gutters cause the snow/ice to get "caught" rather than slide off. A friend in Maine has a metal roof with no gutters and has never had a problem being "gutterless." Which is the preferred/recommended way to go - gutterless or gutterful? <g>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 11:51 AM

215 posts, read 584,028 times
A metal roof is to let the snow slide off. The gutters are preventing the metal roofing from doing their job. IMO I would take your gutters off .

Old 02-28-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebrook View Post
A metal roof is to let the snow slide off. The gutters are preventing the metal roofing from doing their job. IMO I would take your gutters off .
Thank you for the quick response - That's what it seemed to us, but we've never had one and weren't sure. They wouldn't have to be put back up in the spring/summer, would they?

Old 02-28-2008, 12:07 PM

215 posts, read 584,028 times
I would keep the gutters off. To much BS to keep changing but to re-install for the rain in spring/summer may be worth it, to keep the water away from the house. I guess the question is how much gutter do you have and how high is it ?

Old 02-28-2008, 12:35 PM

223 posts, read 1,003,834 times
Colebrook has answered your questions, but I will add to it. I have a degree in architecture and have designed a Japanese style house that was gutterless. Fun job, but a royal pain! As long as your yard slopes away from the house the water will naturally pretty much drain away from the foundation. This is typical in design plus other drainage designs that I won't get into. The real problem with no gutters is the splash, and during your "mud season" that can get ugly! Something you can do on your own to prevent backsplash is to dig a 4" deep by about a 36" (depends on your roof overhang) wide trench so to say and fill it in with a layer of sand, small gravel and then top it off with decorative rocks (sometimes you see them around towns in white or red). It looks very nice too. Just becareful around where you dig ... ground wires, etc. Think about putting up only enough gutter in the spring time to cover entry areas. That might help simplify things. Hope this helps create more options.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:42 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,950,928 times
The age-old questions, gutters or not... They are great to keep the water away from the house, diverting the flow elsewhere, but it so much increases the chance of ice dams (on non-metal roofs anyway) and all the problems that go along with them... It makes sense that the gutters would get in the way of the snow sliding down! Let's hope that jthibodeau notices this thread, as a home inspector he'll probably have an idea on what is actually best.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:53 PM

248 posts, read 805,501 times
I also have a metal roof... our house now has gutters and our old house did not. It is much better without the gutters. The snow and ice slides off easier and you don't get the build up of ice and such in the gutters either. Good luck!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:21 PM

Thank you all for your responses! I went out and stomped around in the snow checking to see where exactly the gutters were, because I couldn't remember...good old CRS syndrome setting in, I guess Anyway, the gutters are at the back of the house, none in the front and where the gutters are, there is more ice and snow, even though hubby had raked the roof before this last storm.

When I think about it, after a sunny and relatively warm day, when there is snow on the roof we do have an "avalanche" from the areas where there are no gutters - the only place we don't have the avalanche is where there are gutters........didn't even think about that before.

Anyway, thanks again! Reps to all I can give them to!

Old 02-29-2008, 07:25 AM

452 posts, read 1,734,293 times
As usual, great information comes from the posters here. I'll add my 2 cents. Gutters are a wonderful addition for your home if your strictly dealing with liquid water. If properly installed, they divert rain water away from the building, as well as prevent backsplash from the edge of the roof which can cause excessive moisture on the lower sections of the siding. However, here in New Hampshire with all the snow and ice that can accumulate, gutters tend to hold back ice and snow especially on metal roofs.

Aluminum gutters can take a beating and become damaged or bent as the ice and snow force their way down, including being torn away from the building. Vinyl gutters fare a little better only because they can be re-installed if not cracked or damaged beyond re-usage.

Installation of gutter materials varies also. Some vinyl gutters may be able to snap right back into place where many aluminum gutters hard fastened with the use of large nails. This type of installation lends to difficulty in removal and/or re-installation.

If your also considering adding gutters to your home, remember the maintenance aspects, especially if trees are located nearby. Leaves can clog gutters and down spouts and prevent proper operation. You also may consider the need for a heating tape to prevent gutters and downspouts from freezing solid.

In my opinion, I would use gutters sparingly and only over any foot traffic areas such as steps and decks. These gutters would tend to be short runs and open on both ends to allow as much water to exit as possible. I've learned over the years that about the worse thing a builder can do is place a deck, usually with a sliding door, or entry steps directly under a drip edge. Areas such as this are usually the first spot where water infiltration creates damage, causing the area to become a prime location for wood deterioration or mold growth.

And one additional point I'd like to make. Metal roofing is great for the shedding of snow and ice. However, please be aware of the dangers of the snow shedding from these roofs. There can be literally tons of snow cascading from these roofs at times. Make sure you keep objects that you treasure, such as your car, lawn furniture and even your children away from the edge of the roof. You may also consider protecting shrubbery, exterior lighting and sliding glass doors if they are located in a vulnerable location.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 13,755 times
Default jthibodeau and others - HELP!

"I've learned over the years that about the worse thing a builder can do is place a deck, usually with a sliding door, or entry steps directly under a drip edge. Areas such as this are usually the first spot where water infiltration creates damage, causing the area to become a prime location for wood deterioration or mold growth."

J - my home has almost the exact situation you describe! just two days ago, we started having some water infiltration from beneath the door that leads to our deck. our house is gutterless and there is constant drip over the door and around it as well whenever it rains or there is significant melt (as there has been these last couple of days)!

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting someone to help fix the current situation?

Any gutter recommendations?

We're in the Concord area... HELP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire