Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 03:08 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,145 times

Advertisements

Interesting info here: New England Fall Foliage Outlook For 2012

"To sum all this up, and give my official outlook, I would say that chances are good for an autumn season that comes a bit early, especially in the western portions of the region. I would also say that it the trees in New England have been through some rather unprecedented events in the past year, and it is therefore difficult to predict the strength of the overall colors, but conditions could be favorable for the development of red pigments this autumn. Otherwise, it may just shape out to be an average color year that emerges a bit early."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 06:13 AM

221 posts, read 483,844 times
I hope so; I have yet to take some good pictures as it's been too wet the last few years.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:21 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
Yeah, 2007 and 2008 were the last really good foliage years. 2009 was alright, but the colors were very sporadic. 2010 was definitely sub-par and last year was just horrendous. I've got my fingers crossed this year; there are so many factors at play so it's hard to really predict anything.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:59 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,873,009 times
Wish I could come see your Autumn peak- never seen true Autumn foilage in person. That is my name so of course is my favorite season as well It is a beautiful season, isn't it.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,304 times
I live in New England and I've only lived here for 10 yrs but I can't imagine living anywhere else... (don't tell my wife that as she want to live in FL) :-)
Anyway I tend to agree with the first gentleman and I think it will be an interesting your for the fall colors but it has to be 200% better than last year... (at least I hope so)
I found in 2010 great color to photograph. You just had to be persistent.
Like...
http://jeff-foliage.com/wp-content/u...all-colors.jpg

I'm a fall foliage photographer and loving it.. :-)
Jeff

Old 08-24-2012, 04:48 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
I was in NH in 2010 and I was amazed by the foliage. But it wasn't the foliage in the mountains that did it for me. I actually thought the colors were better in southern NH and in the lower elevations.

Either way, you guys are blessed with a wonderful show in the fall. If 2010 was "subpar," I would love to see a good foliage season.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:51 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
Interesting info here: New England Fall Foliage Outlook For 2012

"To sum all this up, and give my official outlook, I would say that chances are good for an autumn season that comes a bit early, especially in the western portions of the region. I would also say that it the trees in New England have been through some rather unprecedented events in the past year, and it is therefore difficult to predict the strength of the overall colors, but conditions could be favorable for the development of red pigments this autumn. Otherwise, it may just shape out to be an average color year that emerges a bit early."
Fall foliage forecast from Connecticut is an early burst of color has already begun to approach the central Connecticut area. Patches of red, orange and gold can already be seen on the tops of most hardwood trees. When blended in with the few softwood trees..i.e., fir, spruce and pine, the color is proving to be heading towards magnificent this year! Enjoy.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:57 AM

It's still early for any real color changes. Trees that begin to turn in late summer are usually stressed by various factors and are not necessarily an indicator of the foliage season to come. Still, it's a nice teaser.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I was in NH in 2010 and I was amazed by the foliage. But it wasn't the foliage in the mountains that did it for me. I actually thought the colors were better in southern NH and in the lower elevations.

Either way, you guys are blessed with a wonderful show in the fall. If 2010 was "subpar," I would love to see a good foliage season.
You probably got there a bit too late for the best color in the mountains, as it progresses from the higher elevations to the lower elevations over time. In fact, I would argue that one of the characteristics of a truly "good" foliage season is when you can travel for long distances and see consistently good color, rather than in spotty "pockets" as we've seen more in recent years. Ideally, a good foliage season will also be relatively dry and sunny; a good rain or high winds can strip away peak color in a single day (particularly red leaves, which for some reason are more susceptible to the elements than other colors).

Old 08-24-2012, 05:59 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
You probably got there a bit too late for the best color in the mountains, as it progresses from the higher elevations to the lower elevations over time. In fact, I would argue that one of the characteristics of a truly "good" foliage season is when you can travel for long distances and see consistently good color, rather than in spotty "pockets" as we've seen more in recent years. Ideally, a good foliage season will also be relatively dry and sunny; a good rain or high winds can strip away peak color in a single day (particularly red leaves, which for some reason are more susceptible to the elements than other colors).
I think this is a very accurate description of what I saw when I was there. Now that you mention it, I think a fairly substantial wind/rain event went through the mountains a few days before I was there. I also noticed that there were "pockets" of excellent color, and other spots were so-so. Interestingly, one of the best pockets I saw was actually just across the border into Massachusetts, I think near Townsend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire