Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 05:51 PM

73 posts, read 118,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

4. The little towns, landscape and I love the farmers markets (abundant) in the summer. I see so much more when I'm on my motor/scooter zipping about.
I wouldn't say that farmers markets are "abundant" in NH. I guess it all depends on what you were used to before. My local one is once per week from around May to October, but the items for sale are not very varied and it has limited vendors (maybe 8?).

Just visited Portland, Oregon, and that place DOES have abundant farmers markets (you can find one on any day of the week some place in the city, with lots of options at each). Just don't want someone to think that that's the way it is here in NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 06:22 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
Sluni,

There are only 7 towns in the entire state of NH that have more than 25,000 people, so you have plenty of options to choose from. Your interest in walkability makes me think that you would really prefer the towns in the Seacoast region - these are the oldest towns in the state and have dense, vibrant, historical, and walkable downtown cores. At the same time, they maintain that peaceful, quiet, leafy green atmosphere that makes NH such a desirable place to live. Oh, and safety is almost entirely a non-issue when talking about places to live in this state - seriously.

Portsmouth, of course, fits this description to a T - it's on the larger end of your size requirement, but it really is an exciting little city with a decent array of cultural amenities for its size. The other towns in the Seacoast region that fit your needs are only a short drive from Portsmouth - Durham, Dover, Exeter, Newmarket... and these towns all have cultural offerings of their own. Durham is home to the University of New Hampshire, while Exeter is home to the renowned Phillips Exeter Academy. These two towns, in particular, are considered as having two of the very best school systems in the state. But the other towns have good to excellent schools as well.

These towns are all under an hour's drive from the Manchester airport, and just over an hour to Logan Airport in Boston. Dover, Durham, and Exeter all have train stations in the middle of town that can take you to downtown Boston, and Portsmouth has frequent bus service to Boston.

Of course, there are also some fantastic school systems in the Merrimack Valley region, closer to I-93, but I would argue that most of the suburbs of Nashua and Manchester are definitely less pedestrian-friendly than the Seacoast towns. Places like Amherst consist largely of autocentric suburban development. These towns tend to have larger, more spread-out populations and feel more like bedroom communities than cultural centers of their own. That's my general feeling, anyway.

Either way, you're going to pay a premium to live in a town in southern NH with great schools - whether through property values, property taxes, or both. If you gave us an idea of your budget, maybe we could help narrow down the choices.

The Seacoast definitely gets snow in the winter, although it's usually much less than the more interior parts of the state. However, the mitigating effects of the ocean air disappear pretty rapidly as you head inland - it can be surprising sometimes how much snow will fall in Dover versus Portsmouth. I think Dover actually gets a bit more snow than Nashua on average.

It's about an hour and a half drive between Portsmouth and the edge of the White Mountains (near Conway), and I would allow two and a half hours of driving (NOT including stops) to make the scenic loop through the mountains. So for a day trip from Portsmouth, it involves a lot of time in the car (about 5 and a half hours) - which is why it may be worthwhile to spend a night in the mountains too.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Manchester Airport has far more scheduled service than Portsmouth and is probably a lot less expensive. Google car rental locations and plan on taking a taxi to an off airport location to avoid airport fees. Then drive to Portsmouth. I suggest buying a DeLorme New Hampshire Road Atlas for both the maps and the information. It is available from the company or Amazon. Be certain to get a State road map at the rental place.

I agree with most of the posters that Portsmouth or some of the surrounding small cities are the first place to look. You should also check out the towns on the Merrimack River between Manchester and Concord. They have small downtowns but are very pretty and quiet. The towns west and south of Manchester are auto based suburbs until you get to Milford, Wilton and, eventually, Peterborough. If we had sufficient income we would have looked at Portsmouth when we moved here from NYC over 25 years ago.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:46 AM

40 posts, read 79,377 times
Thank you, everyone. All this info helped us sit down last night and chart out our itin a bit. Looks like we will have to fly to Boston since the tickets are much cheaper for the long weekend flying to Logan than Manchester. And times 5, the difference on a ticket becomes significant! We will rent a car and will drive to Portsmouth and make our base there or one of the smaller towns around. Since we only go for 4 full days, we will stay there and drive around the Seacoast mainly. We I wiould like to drive up to the Lakes region for one day to see the foliage and the lakes. WOlfesboro and around - but we will drive back to stay over night in Portsmouth. As we talked about NH more last night, the train/bus option that Verseau mentioned that exists from coastal towns to Boston is a big advantage both for my work travels and for my husband who untilmately thinks Boston and around may be where his job may land him. So that will be our focus on this short trip - and if we get a good vibe, we will need to come back again :-)

I need to do some more research tonight and look at logdging options - thanks for the ehads up on the fact that it will be touristy due to the foliage season. I did not think of it! And will need to do some legwork regarding housing market, schools etc prior to the trip so we know what we can afford and are not looking at places out of our price range. I think we would need to rent first for a year or so and once we get the feel for the place, start looking for a house.

I am so excited!! I am really looking forward to this trip and want to thank you all for your nice and informative posts!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Enjoy! Check out Bob's Clam Hut across the river in Kittery Maine on Rt 1 next to the Trading Post. Check out the Trading Post as well. As NY'ers you will enjoy the gun room.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:39 PM

73 posts, read 118,722 times
I'm not sure what weekend in the fall you'll be visiting, but just wanted to share that Apple Harvest Day in Dover is Saturday, 10/6.
Also, October 6-8 is the Fall Craft Festival in Lincoln (Franconia Notch area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire