Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 02:43 PM

14 posts, read 22,262 times

Advertisements

I didn't want to hi-jack Sluni's thread so I figured I'd make my own. We (My wife, 2 year old son, and myself) are planning on visiting the great state of New Hampshire for the first time next year. The only states I've ever visited were Texas (where we presently live), Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Mississippi. Needless to say I'm quite excited to get out and see other things and meet new people. I've always said I would never leave Texas but, I feel like Texas has left me. Without getting into too much politics I'll just say that of everything I've read, and all the people I've talked to about all the states; New Hampshire sounds like a perfect place for me.

My wife is in HR and has her MBA, and I am an EMT currently going for my paramedic and then attending an academy to become a certified fire fighter. I think I can work pretty much anywhere and my wife isn't opposed to getting into another field of work. We would prefer to be in a more rural area. The city really isn't for me anymore. Considering many paramedics/fire fighters work 24 hours or more at a time I wouldn't mind driving a bit to get to work. I would be looking to buy property and build our house myself. How bad is the permitting process up there? Do you guys have agriculture exemptions or homestead exemptions like we do in Texas to help keep property taxes low?

I think ideally we will be looking in the center to Northern center part of the state for property. I was thinking maybe around the Franklin line up as high as Littleton or so. Though I wouldn't be opposed to going outside of those lines if the place was right. We would also prefer good schools for our son to attend.

Also, If I could be within an hour of a hockey rink I wouldn't complain! Not that it's a deal breaker as it's something I would be willing to give up to move.

The trip we are planning up there next year is to explore a bit. Like Sluni, if it was just me I'd spend every day driving and exploring. However, having our son with us while he's excellent in the car we are going to need to entertain him with other things than just scenery. We are planning on coming up in September or October.

I put together a trip plan. Is there anything you guys would suggest we do in addition to this? Anything I should remove? Is there a recommended airport we should fly into or is Manchester ok? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully we can call each other neighbor in the next 5 years or so!

Day 1
Fly into Manchester, NH
Drive to Portsmouth, NH (45 Min)
Eat at “The Friendly Toast”
View the town
Drive to Dover (20 Min)
Eat at La Festa
Visit the Children’s Museum Of New Hampshire
View the town
Drive to North Conway (1.5 Hours)
Check into hotel
Day 2
Stay around North Conway
Take Conway Scenic Railroad
Visit Sherman Farms
View Conway
Day 3
Drive to Laconia
Visit Kiddieland
Visit Funspot
Eat at Lagos for lunch in Meredith
Go to a drive in movie in Weirs
View fireworks if it’s late enough
Day 4
Drive to Sugar Hill (1 Hour)
Eat at Polly’s Pancake Parlor
View the town
Drive to Lincoln (30 Min)
Visit Clarks Trading post
Drive to Jackson (1 Hour)
Shop at the outlet mall
Drive to Glen (10 Min)
Visit Storyland
Day 5
Stay around North Conway
Day 6
Check out of hotel
Drive to Concord (2 Hours)
View The city
Drive to Manchester
Return the car
Fly home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 03:54 PM

73 posts, read 118,722 times
Looks like a good itinerary to me!

My thoughts:

- Not that it's a huge difference, but Portsmouth can take about an hour to get to from Manchester depending on the time of day, etc.

- I don't know if you've Googled the Friendly Toast, but I'd suggest doing so; read customer reviews and any news articles that come up on the first couple of pages. I'm not going to say much more about that; you can decide for yourself once you read up on it a little. My husband and I always loved going to the Toast...the decor/ambiance is fun...the service is meh, but in our experience the food has been great. But it's been a couple of years since we've gone there due to the issues they were having. There are lots of other good restaurants in Portsmouth too!

- There's a state park called Odiorne Point in Rye (near Portsmouth) that can be fun for kids. It's like a big park right on the water, and kids often like to walk through the rocks on the water to look for sea life. There are walking/biking trails, and the Seacoast Science Center is also there. May or may not be something you'd be interested in.

- I suggest planning to spend more time in Portsmouth than Dover. Portsmouth's downtown is much bigger than Dover's, and has Prescott Park, which is fun for kids and really anyone (it's right on the water, so you can watch boats go by, etc.). Dover's downtown is cute, but it really just consists of one street and there isn't nearly as much to do there, aside from the Children's Museum, eating at a restaurant, and maybe checking out a shop or two. Portsmouth just has a lot more shops and walking area; it has a couple of toy shops too.
In fact, you could even allot a whole day to Portsmouth, and reduce a day in North Conway...in my opinion. I guess it depends how much time you'd prefer to spend in a walking-friendly port city vs. a mountain-view town where you mostly drive between places.

- While you're in Lincoln/Franconia Notch: Both 93 and the Kancamagus are very scenic. You will likely be taking portions of both from Sugar Hill to Lincoln anyway. But if you're interested in taking in the scenery, give yourself a little extra time - especially on the Kanc - because there are some stops along the way that you can make at designated scenic outlooks and trails with little waterfalls.

- There's an aerial tram at Cannon Mountain that takes you up to the summit, where you can walk around, check out the views, take photos, etc., then go back down on the tram.

- StoryLand is often a full-day event, depending on the age of the child. Even the smaller kids (i.e. ages 2-3) usually do at least a half day there. Maybe do StoryLand on Day 5, and leave the rest of Day 4 just for shopping around North Conway, etc. StoryLand is great...definitely a must-visit place for families with kids.

- If you like ice cream and are looking for a place to stop on the drive between Portsmouth and North Conway, about 25 minutes north of Portsmouth, you could stop at Lone Oak in Rochester. Best ice cream I've ever had in my life.

- You might want to visit Littleton if you're interested in that town. It's not too far from Lincoln. It has a small, cute downtown area that includes Chutters, a candy store with "the world's longest candy counter."

That's all I can think of for now! Hope it's somewhat helpful.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:24 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
One thing to be aware of: most of the towns in NH are fairly small (low population)... therefor most fire dept tend to be volunteer. Make sure you check to make sure towns you're looking at actually hire! You're more likely to find that in Manchester or Nashua.....

Old 08-29-2012, 08:04 PM

477 posts, read 899,975 times
It will take you more than a day to do Story Land and Clark's.

Otherwise sounds great. You will love Lago's!

Old 08-29-2012, 08:16 PM

Thank you Maire8 I will look those all up and add some of that in! Ice cream? Yuck, I hate the stuff! But, I suppose I could force down a gallon or so of it if I had to. I kid of course. Thanks again for the tips.

WannaComeHome I did think that was probably going to be the case. I'm planning on having most of our debt payed for before I move up there so we can start with a clean slate so to speak. Hopefully, that will negate the need for the second job.

NHForester, how much time do you think it would take to do both? Do you think each are an all day deal?

Thank you all very much. It is truly appreciated.

Last edited by Mlarsontx; 08-29-2012 at 09:17 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarsontx View Post
Day 1
Fly into Manchester, NH
Drive to Portsmouth, NH
Visit Prescott Park
View the town
Drive to Dover
Eat at La Festa
Visit the Children’s Museum Of New Hampshire
Leave for Conway
Stop at Lone Oak in Rochester
Drive to North Conway
Check into hotel
Day 2
Stay around North Conway
Take Conway Scenic Railroad
Visit Sherman Farms
View Conway
Day 3
Drive to Laconia
Visit Kiddieland
Visit Funspot
Eat at Lagos for lunch in Meredith
Go to a drive in movie in Weirs
View fireworks if it’s late enough
Day 4
Drive to Sugar Hill
Eat at Polly’s Pancake Parlor
View the town
Drive to Littleton
View the town
Drive to Lincoln
Visit Clarks Trading post
Drive to Jackson
Shop at the outlet mall
Day 5
Visit Storyland
Day 6
Check out of hotel
Drive to Concord
View The city
Drive to Manchester
Return the car
Fly home
Added to it and removed some things.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Employment note:

I have a friend that is a certified EMT but cannot find a job because she is too old to be a firefighter and towns only hire people with both qualifications. I strongly suggest getting hired before moving.

Itinerary looks ok. Note: Polly’s Pancake is deservedly famous.

Suggestions: check out Lahouts clothing and camping store at the north end of Littleton. Try the Littleton Diner for Lunch. Avoid Conway/North Conway because they are one big mall traffic jam. Just go north on Rt 16 to the Kancamagus and avoid the fray.

Go a bit south of Manchester airport on Rt 128 to Mack’s Apples in Londonderry. Buy some fruit and maple syrup to take home. The syrup is made by Henry Peterson and is about the best in the world.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Employment note:

I have a friend that is a certified EMT but cannot find a job because she is too old to be a firefighter and towns only hire people with both qualifications. I strongly suggest getting hired before moving.

Itinerary looks ok. Note: Polly’s Pancake is deservedly famous.

Suggestions: check out Lahouts clothing and camping store at the north end of Littleton. Try the Littleton Diner for Lunch. Avoid Conway/North Conway because they are one big mall traffic jam. Just go north on Rt 16 to the Kancamagus and avoid the fray.

Go a bit south of Manchester airport on Rt 128 to Mack’s Apples in Londonderry. Buy some fruit and maple syrup to take home. The syrup is made by Henry Peterson and is about the best in the world.
Nice! Thank you for the advice. Should we stay in another location other than Conway? If so, where? I talked to a few people that had taken a vacation there and they loved it. Are there any other towns that we should view as a potential future home while up there?

Old 08-30-2012, 11:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I suggest driving to Lincoln by the Kancamagus highway, great views in late afternoon, and looking for lodging between there and Woodstock or continue north from Lincoln through Franconia Notch (pass) to the Franconia and Littleton region. The hotel right off exit 37 in Franconia is not great but OK. It may not be even OK by now but I do not know. It does set you up for taking the Sugar Hill road (Rt 117) the next morning for Breakfast at Polly's. If you have some extra bucks look at the Sugar Hill Inn. This is one of the few remaining huge residence Inns that once populated the region. Google it for info. It is right across from Polly’s but probably serves a breakfast of its own.

The entire area is mostly bring your own job area but some others may be available. I would avoid Conway because of the commercialization and crowds. South of Franconia Notch is Plymouth and Lincoln (another tourist trap) and the Lakes Region. North of the Notch are Littleton, Groveton, Lancaster and Whitefield. The last three are small paper mill town’s one factory shutdown away from obscurity.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:07 PM

122 posts, read 313,366 times
Regarding The Friendly Toast in Portsmouth ~ We went there a month ago on a trip to Portsmouth. The service wasn't bad, the food was really good, and it has a funky feel to it (the restaurant, not the food). Very large portions, though not cheap for diner food. Portsmouth is a fun, welcoming city; you'll enjoy your visit there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire