Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:23 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times

Advertisements

I actually considred moving to Nashua from Portsmouth. I wanted to be closer to Boston and I liked Nashua's downtown area, not that keen on Manchester. Manchester versua Nashua reminds me of when I lived in Australia (Melbourne versus Sydney), people tend to prefer one or the other and pretty much hard to find folks that love both equally.

I liked that Nashua had more diversity, interesting restaurance choices, an Asian market next to the Mill apartments I looked at and was much closer to Boston than Psmith.

Alas it looks like my days in NH are numbered anyway, I will remember my time living her fondly. No complaints, except for when we have a bad winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 06:36 AM

16 posts, read 28,454 times
Thanks for the responses everyone, glad to see that the distaste for Nashua I've seen in other posts was not because it's a high crime/drug ridden town that I somehow never heard about.

Portsmouth is beautiful and we have quite a few friends that live there, but I'm pretty sure we couldn't afford to buy there, and I don't think there is much of a job market. I am in marketing and fiance is in IT, I think Manchester and Nashua would offer a lot more, in addition to the proximity to Route 3/MA.

Growing up in Manchester I always had the desire to leave, but it really does have a lot to offer...big name performers come to Verizon, the fishercats, the palace is trying to bring in bigger names, and the restaurant scene is really blowing up. Now that I live in a town that has NO downtown at all, I'd be happy living in Manchester again, but it's too far for my fiance as he'll still be working in MA. However, it is saddening to see that the bad parts of Manchester only seem to be getting worse.

I 've heard that parts of Nashua are crappy too but I'm not looking to move into a multi family apartment, so those neighborhoods don't concern me too much, unless it comprised a majority of the town, which it doesn't seem to. I did notice that Nashua taxes were pretty steep, more so than Hudson.

I'm glad I can keep our options open, thanks for the input everyone!

Old 09-02-2012, 08:20 AM

18 posts, read 31,415 times
I can't report on Nashua now, but we're moving there from the Seattle area in 3 weeks so I'd be happy to post my impressions once we get settled. So far it looks like a convenient place for our first step into NH, with shopping and all major employment areas within a reasonable distance. I've seen the same negativity toward it, but after reading this forum for a few years I think perspective (Nashua probably seems like a teeming metropolis to some and a large town to others) and regional bias are at play with a lot of it.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,983 times
Thumbs up I grew up in Manchester as well

I have just recently found an apartment in Manchester and am finally moving back home after living in Nashua for the last 8 yrs., I have found Nashua to be low in crime. Of course if you walk down ally ways at 1 or 2am in any neighborhood you are risking becoming a victim. I was also under the impression Nashua had a problem with crime/gangs but quickly realized Nashua is pretty quiet and safe. Hudson seems like the ideal place to live if your looking to buy a home, very residential town with all your basic necessities but close enough to Nashua if your looking for a night out or specialty stores etc.,not to mention a quick commute to Massachusetts. As far as property taxes in NH, yes you will pay more property taxes but the upside to that is their’s no sales tax, the public schools are great, and your at the age and place in your life where you are settling down and starting a family, this is an ideal location. Many things to do with kids, including a wide array of free and low cost activities. Good luck to you& I hope this helps make your decision easier.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 AM

51 posts, read 121,864 times
Nashua, in my opinion is a quaint city. It has som really great places to eat, lots of great shopping, lots of fun stuff to do, health services, and a lot more. I used to live in Greenville, NH, which was a tiny town, on the MA line. I spent a lot of my time, with my kids and husband, in Nashua, and those surrounding towns!

Every city will have it's bad and it's good. I have never seen a begger, in Nashua...It is very pleasent, there. We are never board! I live in MA, now, but, still take my kids to Nashua, about once a month. The stores are just much better, there. People are more friendly.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,524 times
Is Nashua really that bad?

Yes. Yes it is.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
Random thoughts:
My feeling is Hudson doesn't allow people that don't have visible tattoos, a motorcycle, and/or an old school bus for your lawn.
I know this is from last year, but it's funny you mentioned this: Growing up, I would pass through Hudson and someone DID have an old School Bus on their lawn. Key word is "did," because I passed by recently and it's no longer there.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I know this is from last year, but it's funny you mentioned this: Growing up, I would pass through Hudson and someone DID have an old School Bus on their lawn. Key word is "did," because I passed by recently and it's no longer there.
I noticed it was gone too. I'm sure there are others. Hudson has a certain feel. It's great for many people. Great location if you commute to MA. The thread is about Nashua so that's all I'll say about Hudson.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 PM

4 posts, read 9,933 times
I've lived in Nashua most of my life since I was 3 off exit 6. I have lived in all four corners of the U.S. and been to almost every state. I can honestly say Nashua is a very safe place except for anything around the tree streets, as we call them. This is not a safe place at night. I would however walk around during the day with no qualms. Of course in any city whenever you have the lowest rent that area will attract the trashy people.

Mine Falls Park is one street over from me. As you can imagine, bad things can happen anywhere when a woman is walking alone in the forest in late evening or early morning. A woman was raped in Mine Falls a couple years back. You have the kids smoking pot, but they don't bother anyone. This place is also known for a gay hookup point and I swear the guys always act fishy around noon. Greely Park is also known as a gay hookup area.

In all Nashua is one of the safest places I have been. If anyone said don't move to nashua because it's not safe I would say they are misinformed. Nashua was voted #1 city to live by money magazine in 1987 and 1997 (if my memory is correct). New Hampshire also has the lowest murder rate per capita out of any state. We have the fourth lowest unemployment last time I checked. 80% of families own a home. Roads are much better than mass. We have a much thinner population density than eastern mass. Cops are pretty good. All around you can't go wrong. Any questions feel free to send me a message.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:05 AM

4 posts, read 9,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
Is Nashua really that bad?

Yes. Yes it is.
What area do you live in? I feel very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire