Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:35 AM

12 posts, read 18,868 times

Advertisements

I'm an Upstate New Yorker looking to flee massive taxation and regulation. We have a small business and NY is strangling us. It's creeping into the personal life as well, so have begun looking in Vermont (which is now a "no") and have ended up at NH.

We're looking for something not necessarily in "the boonies", but would like to have some privacy, with at least 100 acres or so. Something with forest as well as meadow to use for a small tenant farmer. If anyone is familiar with the Adirondacks, I'd liken what we're looking for as the foothills of the Adirondacks -north enough so that hot/muggy summers are a little shorter (and less hot and muggy!) than here in Syracuse; beautiful scenery, and a life close to nature -dark enough to sleep under the stars -and see them; where wild life is abundant, etc. We'd love a place where we could live off of the land if we had to.

The problem as I see it, though, is that my hopes were piqued with looking at acreage in Vermont -seems like a lot of it fits the bill, but now dashed as I puruse properties for sale in NH: It simply looks like there's not much available in NH, and much of what is offerred is controlled by covenants and conversation easements or the like. I guess I forgot to mention above the we'd like to consider it "our" property and do with it what we like -even cutting down a tree if need be.

Any thoughts here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 07:55 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
there is nothing in NH that compares to the Lake George area or the foothills of the Adirondacks. I know exactly what you mean.

The taxes in NY are considerably lower as well. You might have better luck looking around Kingsbury, Glens Falls or Saratoga area. Also, the weather in the lakes region of NH is EXACTLY the SAME as the weather on the eastern border of NY.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:12 AM

Buck, thanks again. I'm not a native New Yorker, but have travelled and lived in quite a bit of this country. Although I find beauty just about everywere, I've come to love the area in and around the Adirondacks. It probably seems silly, but it almost gives me chills, driving around in this late summer period, when the chill of autumn starts to take over and there are little hints of the coming snow blanket....piles of fire wood waiting to be split, fields turning amber and gold with the lateness of the year, wood smoke in the air, and just over the hill, sparkling, crystal clear lakes.

I can't believe that you're saying that taxes are less in NY, but I suppose you're talking about property taxes. We are just getting killed with income/sales tax, but it's good to know. Would it help to lower taxes to have much of the property as active farmland?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Flee regulation?

Do a search or Carl Drega. Not a farmer but just a home up north in NH. He couldn't take it.

Before WWII there were still farms in NH for sale with cleared land. Mostly all gone now. The interstate highway system brought more and more people up north. Farms were broken up for homes and retirement homes. The fate of farming declined and most of the fields are all overgrown.

The NH Conservation Trust and other tree savings groups have purchased raw land.

In NH you can cut trees down but you need a permit and will have to pay a tree harvest fee.

The mood of much of NH is to save the trees for the views.

Of course, there are some farms up north. But you would be spending a small fortune rehabbing some old stone foundation farmhouse.

As a kid we used to count cows and horses in fields on long car trips in NH. Now you would be hard pressed to see one cow or one horse.

If you have a lot of money, well, anything is possible.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Check out Landaff, NH on a realator site. I know of at least one 80+ acre clear acerage along with an very old and very large house.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:58 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
there is nothing in NH that compares to the Lake George area or the foothills of the Adirondacks. I know exactly what you mean.

The taxes in NY are considerably lower as well. You might have better luck looking around Kingsbury, Glens Falls or Saratoga area. Also, the weather in the lakes region of NH is EXACTLY the SAME as the weather on the eastern border of NY.
I think the OP is screwed as taxes are hard everywhere. And land isn't cheap in NE any more, but with money and hard hunting still i think he might find what he wants in NH up towards Lancaster north to the border, and east to Maine.

Not to sure i agree on Lake George and the foot hills are so great over there compared to NH either. Rt 112 cut the state east / west and is as scenic or more so than anything in NY in that area.

Our mountains are better too IMO. Maybe your point is we have less towns and villages inside the National Forest. That is more or less because NY had the towns in place before the park became a park.

In NH the area was mainly still rural and then the Govt kinda took what it wanted in the way of private lands when they made the WMNF.

Taxes are just out of sight and we all know they just go up....

Other towns are Franconia, Littleton, Groveland is a city, and i would say all have a more rural feel than any place in the NY park.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Check out Landaff, NH on a realator site. I know of at least one 80+ acre clear acerage along with an very old and very large house.
That reminds me of the town of Pike, which is a nice rural area... And right on top of Vt.

I am speaking in terms of larger areas not town centers.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:22 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
thinkin' of this area in particular - my sister has 75 acres (she is a doctor at the hospital). She pays less than $5K in property taxes.

Washington County Grasslands

it's really a beautiful area and there are still lots of farms for sale with potential for new ones

Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 PM

i was thinking like this
wmnf - Google Search

many ideas i show are just based on
scenic mountians in nh

scenic farms in nh and etc...... I will admitt that i am part granite and sugar maple..

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 09-04-2012 at 01:45 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 03:13 PM

Hey, thanks everyone for the comments here. I'm going to do some looking at the suggestions. It puzzles me, but I see so many more large parcels in VT vs. NH -anyone know why? Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire