Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,589 times

Advertisements

My husband (who is originally from RI), and I are looking to relocate to the New England area after residing in San Diego, CA for the past 26 years. However, before doing so I would like to have a better understanding as to what I will be getting myself into as far as climate and places in which to avoid living. As far as jobs are concerned, we are both retired, but I would like to start up a food/bistro business if feasible. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 07:03 PM

137 posts, read 384,393 times
We moved here from San Diego last October.
We were told the winter was mild but after living in San Diego off and on most of my life, I found the winter a bit harsh. It definitely did not like my arthritis and carpal tunnel.
I am dreading this winter already. This morning it was 38 degrees and my carpal tunnel bothered me a lot until it warmed up a bit.

There are no jobs here. We've been here about a year and have yet to find jobs that would compare to the salaries we made in San Diego.

Housing seems to have gone up since I initially did a lot of research prior to moving.
I had thought at one time of opening a diner here but those dreams are gone.

It is a very rural state. Even Manchester and Nashua and Concord and Portsmouth, although small cities, seem rather rural to me.

If you are retired and have plenty of money to live on, it's a beautiful place. Unfortunately we still need income. We may possibly be heading back to the west coast early spring - probably Seattle though. I cannot see ever living in CA again.

Good luck with your move.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:14 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
that's part of why we always suggest renting before buying, at least for a while. find out if you really want to make the full investment. sorry it's not working out for you CVLP; NH is a very different place from San Diego.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:33 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
.I chatted with a female owner of a bakery in downtown Concord (a lovely downtown Main) last month who just opened her bakery in the site of a former bakery. She had been selling exclusively at fairs and wholesale, but now has expanded. She's from the state. It's called Crust and Crumbs, I think, and I bought a tasty peach pie from her.

It can be done, even in a weak economy. A cupcakery is just down the street, so one needn't be a chain or franchise in downtown Concord to make it work.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:02 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlp View Post
We moved here from San Diego last October.
We were told the winter was mild but after living in San Diego off and on most of my life, I found the winter a bit harsh. It definitely did not like my arthritis and carpal tunnel.
I am dreading this winter already. This morning it was 38 degrees and my carpal tunnel bothered me a lot until it warmed up a bit.

There are no jobs here. We've been here about a year and have yet to find jobs that would compare to the salaries we made in San Diego.

Housing seems to have gone up since I initially did a lot of research prior to moving.
I had thought at one time of opening a diner here but those dreams are gone.

It is a very rural state. Even Manchester and Nashua and Concord and Portsmouth, although small cities, seem rather rural to me.

If you are retired and have plenty of money to live on, it's a beautiful place. Unfortunately we still need income. We may possibly be heading back to the west coast early spring - probably Seattle though. I cannot see ever living in CA again.

Good luck with your move.
This is why its always best to visit in the dead of winter. I made that mistake too. Nov-Dec isn't winter there. Its still mild.. Jan-Feb is real winter at its coldest and dreariest. Mild winter to them can be absolutely down right frigid to people like us who live where palm trees grow and they might think us a bit crazy lol. I remember bringing out my down winter coat when it hit in the 40's and people were walking around in sweaters and I was like wtf how are they not FREEZING! I think I might have even put my gloves on then too.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:44 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I remember bringing out my down winter coat when it hit in the 40's and people were walking around in sweaters and I was like wtf how are they not FREEZING! I think I might have even put my gloves on then too.
After sweaters, gloves are the first thing that comes out from the closet, followed by a hat. Coats are for days with precipitation or well-below freezing

Old 09-18-2012, 01:54 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
lol i went straight for the down jacket! I skipped sweaters all together. The hubs is going up in 3 weeks and I see there have been a few nights in the 30's already and I'm like you need a scarf, and hand warmers, and hat, and jacket and fleece.. Hes like shut up will ya I have a sweater.... men o-0

Old 09-18-2012, 06:04 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Last winter wasn't any winter at all. I never bothered with a jacket. It never hit 0 in Tamworth once. I won't make a bet ..... that this winter will be so mild.

But coming from any place where palm trees grow to this place with out checking could be a disaster.

I agree that with out either start up money to create a business or some very special work skills there is no work.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:08 PM

95 posts, read 384,806 times
It can take up to a few years for your body to adjust to the climate, depending on the person. As for NH it is a very nice clean state, but very rural compared to California, although New Hampshire seems to be an up and coming state, I live in RI and used to go there a lot because shopping was tax free and I have noticed how it has become more populated and being build up more than it was 15 years ago.

If you are looking for more of a population though those states in New England would be RI,MA, and CT....Massachusetts has a low unemployment rate at the moment. Not sure if that helps, but I just thought it might be something to consider as an option, depending on your needs.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Last winter wasn't any winter at all. I never bothered with a jacket. It never hit 0 in Tamworth once. I won't make a bet ..... that this winter will be so mild.

But coming from any place where palm trees grow to this place with out checking could be a disaster.

I agree that with out either start up money to create a business or some very special work skills there is no work.
I've examined the preaviling weather pattern so far on the computer models and it looks much colder than last winter. I will throw out an early guess that Tamworth will see a low temperature of at least -25F this winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire