Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 05:28 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times

Advertisements

Well we've been looking for several months now. We've called practically every Police Dept from Concord to Nashua and to the coast. Not a single one is hiring ( unless it's for cop and my husband has made it clear hr does not want to be an officer again) .. So for now I guess we r going to just put it all n hold and revisit looking in a year or so . He goes up next week but he'll just take it as a mini vaca to see some friends instead of interviewing or looking at towns... In 07 PD's couldn't get him up there fast enough and now not one job, economy is depressing ! I'm pretty heart broken I didn't want my daughter growing up here or even staying here but we have no choice now and I was hoping with both of us having degrees and in very specialized and easily transferable fields we'd not even have to renew our lease in May and we could just go..... Guess it really is as bad up there as they say it is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
I dont think its really that bad up here. N.H. really isnt an easy place to live. I dont think it ever has been. I believe to be successful up here you have to be able to adapt. Theres work up here for those who can. You may have to take a job that you really dont like or have to travel a distance to your job, but thats a fact of life for a lot of people here. I travel a couple hours to work each day. Get your foot in the door doing something that will pay the bills and keep looking for the job you really want. It would be easier looking if you ere actually in the area. It is a great area to raise kids.

Last edited by Ken E; 10-06-2012 at 07:57 AM..

Old 10-06-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I dont think its really that bad up here. N.H. really isnt an easy place to live. I dont think it ever has been. I believe to be successful up here you have to be able to adapt. Theres work up here for those who can. You may have to take a job that you really dont like or have to travel a distance to your job, but thats a fact of life for a lot of people here. I travel a couple hours to work each day. Get your foot in the door doing something that will pay the bills and keep looking for the job you really want. It would be easier looking if you ere actually in the area. It is a great area to raise kids.
I guess for certain fields it just worse than others. He's sent out tons of resumes, even into Mass and as far north as Hanover with no luck.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:26 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
There are plenty of cop jobs, even in VT. Is your hubby that dead set against being an officer?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:26 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
find a job in another field. many people(including me), get by with two jobs until we get our break. even then, it's good to hold on to another job for some extra spending money

Old 10-06-2012, 12:04 PM

yah my husband just refuses to be a cop, he has no interest.. I lost my job today so now we're really won'tbe moving .... we just need some time to regather ourselves I suppose..maybe after next year we can revisit

Old 10-06-2012, 12:05 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,327 times
If you want to live in this great state than do it and get a job in another field. There is plenty of opportunity to be had here for those that seek it.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:36 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
If you want to live in this great state than do it and get a job in another field. There is plenty of opportunity to be had here for those that seek it.

agreed. there are lots of jobs available.

Unemployment in NH hovers around 5-6%, well below the national statistics.

GE in Hooksett was just awarded a $327 million contract. L-3 Communications Corp. of Londonderry is working on a $7.6 million project.

The Defense Dept. announced that another $106 million contract will be split between J.C.N. Construction of Manchester, BAE of Nashua and L-3 Communications.

There's work available.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:55 AM

my husband has no experience in those fields and did not go to school for them. He's been in law enforcement since he was 22. I've lost my job yesterday after being part of a completely unethical set up so we wouldn't be able to move now if we wanted. Between the cost of the move , trying to find an apartment etc we can't do it. He infact probably won' even be going up next week we're probably going to cancel all the reservations at this point and eat the cost of the plane ticket... Anyways it was fun to think about while we could but maybe after next year we'll figure something else out.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:51 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
Well, don't complain that you can't move because there are no jobs here. There are. You're just not qualified to do them. OTJ training takes place in a lot of industries. Education is great, but not always necessary. Although, I hear McDonalds now prefers a 4 year degree to work there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire