Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 PM

53 posts, read 108,975 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I've accepted a job in Billerica and am looking to relocate from my current residence southwest of Boston. One of the things I noticed when looking for rental properties around the area was that there is a big price difference between Nashua and other places closer in Massachusetts. Also, I like the idea of living in a small city/large town that has numerous amenities but is also close to outdoor activities.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone does a similar commute, or would have a good estimate for the amount of time it would take. Google maps doesn't account for rush hour traffic and I've heard mixed things from searching this forum and other sites. Currently I'd have 65 to 80 minutes each way, and I'm hoping that I'd either shave some time off or save enough money to make it worthwhile. I think the department I'm working in does four 10 hour days, which should help commuting in one direction, at least.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 04:33 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,228 times
Depends on the day. Traffic backs up at I-495 most days. First 1/2 of ride is 9 minutes , second 1/2 is a 1/2 hr

Old 10-09-2012, 05:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
There are lots of back roads to avoid the second half delays. Google Maps is your friend.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:07 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,378 times
I did Nashua to Billerica for over a dozen years. The last seven years was from north Nashua (just off exit 8) to south Billerica off Middlesex turnpike near the Bedford border.

A lot depends on timing. I probably averaged 45 minutes each way in good weather during rush hour. The summer was a bit better by maybe 10 minutes. There was an extreme case where it took me 4+ hours to get home in a snow storm. With no traffic, I could do it in 25 minutes (nights or weekends).

A lot depends on where in Nashua and where in Billerica you are going. I could get to Middlesex Turnpike (Concord Rd exit in Billerica) in 30 minutes or less. But from there, it could take another 15-20 minutes to get to my work. And when I cross into Nashua at the border, I'm still 10-15 minutes from home.

My wife currently works off the Treble Cove exit in Billerica but she goes in very early (6am).

So, if I didn't answer your question, I say give yourself an hour to get there in rush hour. You'll probably be early, but if there's a tie-up you'll have a bit of a buffer.

I found the back roads to be as congested as the highway. Maybe more so with school buses, stop signs, Dunkin Donuts zombies, etc. At least on the highway I could zone-out and "autopilot" in. Don't listen to traffic reports. I made that mistake twice. One morning the news was reporting all lanes of rt3 was closed for an accident in Billerica. I ignored it and took rt3. I sailed right in.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:30 PM

53 posts, read 108,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
I did Nashua to Billerica for over a dozen years. The last seven years was from north Nashua (just off exit 8) to south Billerica off Middlesex turnpike near the Bedford border.

A lot depends on timing. I probably averaged 45 minutes each way in good weather during rush hour. The summer was a bit better by maybe 10 minutes. There was an extreme case where it took me 4+ hours to get home in a snow storm. With no traffic, I could do it in 25 minutes (nights or weekends).

A lot depends on where in Nashua and where in Billerica you are going. I could get to Middlesex Turnpike (Concord Rd exit in Billerica) in 30 minutes or less. But from there, it could take another 15-20 minutes to get to my work. And when I cross into Nashua at the border, I'm still 10-15 minutes from home.

My wife currently works off the Treble Cove exit in Billerica but she goes in very early (6am).

So, if I didn't answer your question, I say give yourself an hour to get there in rush hour. You'll probably be early, but if there's a tie-up you'll have a bit of a buffer.

I found the back roads to be as congested as the highway. Maybe more so with school buses, stop signs, Dunkin Donuts zombies, etc. At least on the highway I could zone-out and "autopilot" in. Don't listen to traffic reports. I made that mistake twice. One morning the news was reporting all lanes of rt3 was closed for an accident in Billerica. I ignored it and took rt3. I sailed right in.
Heh, I thought it was very helpful, thanks! I like hearing conditionals, it's not going to be the same every day.

The job is about a mile and a half from Exit 27, just off of Concord Rd. Not sure where I'd be in Nashua, wherever there would be affordable rent in a decent neighborhood, I guess. Preferably close to the highway too so I could convince a friend commuting to Maynard that it wouldn't be so bad...

Glad you touched on back roads, I was considering getting off at exit 32 and taking route 4 down but it sounds like that wouldn't be any better. I think I can live with 45 minutes to an hour though.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:37 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,378 times
You should try the back roads yourself to be sure. There are people that swear by the rt4 route, but for me it was more aggravating than just leaving my car in 1st or 2nd gear and crawling along rt3. It's been 5 years since I've worked in Billerica so volume may have change since then. It used to back up at the 495 junction in the morning and crawl down to exit 26 or 27. I now get off rt3 up in Tyngsboro and I see brake lights up ahead. That's at 7:45.
You can also get live traffic speeds and cameras at the Mass DOT website to see for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire