Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 09:43 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
It really shook here in Londonderry. I've been through some huge earthquakes in California, and many not so huge, but this one definitely got my heart pumping. I think I was mostly surprised, and thought a tree had fallen on the house, or a plane fell out of the sky. I thought I had at least gotten away from earthquakes when I moved here.
In new England there are earthquakes, and back in the 40's some, well 2 in row caused open cracks in earth and did damage to man made objects.

The big one for here is several hundred years over due. There is a fault line starting or ending depending on how you view things at the Ossipee Volcanic Ringdike, and cutting down towards Plumb Island Mass, cutting thru the Cape Cod Canal, and heading out to sea.

If that one snaps chances are pretty good that man made property will be damaged. Of course just because it is over due, doesn't mean it will ever pop.

I live outside the center of the caldera by 6 miles now, bot once I lived on dead ground 0, so i am not worried a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
We did not notice any sound or shaking in Londonderry. I wonder why?

Old 10-18-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Beats me as it was also audible.... This one lasted about a 10 seconds as my best guess, and shook harder than the last one i recall, when I lived in the center of the ringdike and it shook the dresser drawer pulls. I was used to bears doing that to that old trailer from Hell. But no bears can shake this place any...

At first i took it as a lost or late steel delivery truck as it was O dark 30 and loud like one of those trucks and I am expecting metal.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I guess I was standing up and just compensated like it was a rolling deck on a DE.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:19 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
Quote:
I guess I was standing up and just compensated like it was a rolling deck on a DE.

My mom is in Londonderry and didn't notice anything either.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:35 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
In new England there are earthquakes, and back in the 40's some, well 2 in row caused open cracks in earth and did damage to man made objects.

The big one for here is several hundred years over due. There is a fault line starting or ending depending on how you view things at the Ossipee Volcanic Ringdike, and cutting down towards Plumb Island Mass, cutting thru the Cape Cod Canal, and heading out to sea.

If that one snaps chances are pretty good that man made property will be damaged. Of course just because it is over due, doesn't mean it will ever pop.

I live outside the center of the caldera by 6 miles now, bot once I lived on dead ground 0, so i am not worried a bit.
Thanks for the info, Mac. I've enjoyed your posts before about the ringdike, and knew we had earthquakes here, but little earthquakes, I thought, hehe.

Quote:
I don't know. I'm on the second floor, maybe that makes a difference. I was sitting at my computer which is surrounded by junk, er, many important things, and they all shook and moved around. I had headphones on and was listening to music, so didn't hear anything, only felt the shaking.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:25 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Quote:
I'm only about a mile or so east of where GregW lives, and 3 of the 4 people at home felt something. I was sitting down and felt the shaking, but heard no noise. My son was downstairs in the basement rec (wreck) room, and noticed that his important collection of empty soda cans was moving. Pretty exciting stuff!!

Last edited by Valerie C; 10-18-2012 at 07:35 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
Thanks for the info, Mac. I've enjoyed your posts before about the ringdike, and knew we had earthquakes here, but little earthquakes, I thought, hehe.

I don't know. I'm on the second floor, maybe that makes a difference. I was sitting at my computer which is surrounded by junk, er, many important things, and they all shook and moved around. I had headphones on and was listening to music, so didn't hear anything, only felt the shaking.
It is likely building construction and what ever bed rock is under the building makes felt shock relative or not so much.

My best guess is this last quake lasted about 10 seconds time, long enough for me to understand it wasn't anything else.

But i didn't think if it as dangerous or large, but then i have never been in a dangerous or large quake. The bed rock here is harder than out in Cal, so a less energy is needed to move these rocks as much as it would take in Cal. if this had bee a 6 or maybe a 7 it would be closer to a 8 or 9 in cal, and if we ever get a 8 or 9 here it will be a new type of hell.

For me that is the biggest quake i have ever been in...... I just find them a curiosity .......

Being on the 2nd floor would get more movement than being in the cellar of the same building i would think.

My very first quake was in 1964 i think........ What i recall was being at a town dump to shoot my 22 rifle which was common then for boys, and a whole mess of rats came out for the shaking. That made rat shooting a great day for back then.

Of course now some political group would come to Save the Rats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire