Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 02:53 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Sample size of only one, so take it for what it is worth, but the ex who lives in NH, being an RN with an MPH makes $75/hour. Back when at Mass General made $90/hour. (that was to answer the original question of this thread).
$75/hour? Surely this is not at the bedside? The critical care that I worked at in Washington state topped out around $45 - didn't matter if you were an ADN, BSN or masters level. All made the same. I was about an hour south of Seattle, but wages were comparable even there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 05:45 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
$75/hour? Surely this is not at the bedside? The critical care that I worked at in Washington state topped out around $45 - didn't matter if you were an ADN, BSN or masters level. All made the same. I was about an hour south of Seattle, but wages were comparable even there.
Of course this is not at bedside... over a nurse's career they work their way up (as in any profession). Best nurses I ever met were the ED nurses (just a personal opinion, but was married to one, and now am living with one). I could go through the pecking order of nursing, based on department, but I don't want to offend anyone.

(I can go through the pecking order of engineering majors, but that has nothing to do with this topic).

Old 11-27-2012, 07:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Default RN in NH

I suggest starting your search in the bigger NH cities - Lebanon (Dartmouth Hitchcock special case), Portsmouth, Manchester, Concord and Keene. Then try the medical complexes in the Boston area. The commute by bus costs around 4 to 5 grand a year along with an additional 2 hours per day.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:35 PM

395 posts, read 458,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
Check out the pay rates in Mass. There is a good reason for so much traffic going south in the morning and north in the evening. I've experienced 20-30% pay increase in MA over NH.

Yeah but factor in the cost of gas, the time spent sitting in traffic and the MA income tax and is it really worth it?

Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 PM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
Yeah but factor in the cost of gas, the time spent sitting in traffic and the MA income tax and is it really worth it?
In my experience, YES. Massachusetts jobs doesn't mean driving all the way to Boston.

My commute from exit 8 Nashua to Littleton MA is 25 miles, no traffic usually. 35-45 minutes. Lowell/Tyngsboro/some parts of Westford would be even closer. I get 28-30mpg average on a tank. There are places in the Manchester area that are farther from me than my job. If you lived in south Nashua (Spitbrook Rd) and worked in Tyngsboro or Lowell you'd have a pretty nice commute, maybe half of what I have.

Mass income tax is 5.3% but pays 20-30% more for most jobs I look at in MFG/High Tech.

My wife was offered NH jobs that pay 50% what she is earning now as a temp in MA. Not exactly apples-to-apples job descriptions but 50% is significant at any income level.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:30 PM

395 posts, read 458,557 times
Avlis, having grown up in Salem, NH I always tend to think of going down 93 when anyone says they live in NH and work in MA but I guess there are other areas with tolerable commutes. The thing about living in NH and working in MA is that it's not a favorable tax situation. You're paying both the high NH property taxes and the MA income tax. It's better two work in the state you live in.

Now that NH has elected moonbats like Hassan and others to the NH state senate our economic situation and taxes can only get worse.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:49 PM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
The thing about living in NH and working in MA is that it's not a favorable tax situation. You're paying both the high NH property taxes and the MA income tax. It's better two work in the state you live in.
The homes in the MA towns surrounding my company (Westford, Littleton, Boxboro etc,) have similar taxes to what I pay in Nashua. That's because houses similar to mine are valued $100,000 or more than mine.

Don't get me wrong, I still look for work in NH and would love to find a quality NH employer with similar benefits and work environment. We're just not there yet. But my situation isn't as bad as it could be (living in an expensive NH town and commuting to Boston).

It's a funny thing. For me, commuting to many places in MA is easier than commuting to many NH places like Salem because there is no direct route. We went to Cannobie Lake Park this summer and my kids considered it a long road trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire