Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 06:58 PM

396 posts, read 604,811 times

Advertisements

In my travels the end of the month, I'll be in Keene for few days.

What should I try to make to do?

Nice aces to eat?

American food?
Italian food?
Knitting or material shops?
Candy store.?
Bakeries?
Nice places to shop for small christmas gifts, for stockings? We do stockings up big time, so being clever is keen(e) -sorry I just had to do that

We'll be staying downtown, and it looks like there plenty there.

Skip

Info@designsbyskip.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 06:48 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,816 times
Home - Koto Japanese Steakhouse Hibachi and Sushi

Old 10-22-2012, 07:43 AM

Thank you. This looks to be a place to put on the list of places to eat while in town.

Skip

PS Anything else you'd recommend we try to fit into the few days we're there?

- Museums?
- Eateries?
- Great Country Stores?
- Bakeries?
- Candy Stores?

Old 10-26-2012, 01:31 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
I remember my first year of living in Keene, I was driving home and saw a sign that said "It's keen to shop in Keene" or something like that. I had to laugh, it was so corny.

Keene State College has an art gallery that often has wonderful exhibits. Right now there's one on origami. I loved doing origami as a kid and found it fascinating. They also often have shows going on (a very active theater department) although I don't remember what's playing this weekend.

There are a bunch of restaurants on Main Street. For just a quick bite, try Athens Pizza (my students love it).

Main Street also has a lot of little shops. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of shopping (I don't find it fun) so I'm not even sure what's there.

Alas, you missed Pumpkin Fest last weekend!

Old 10-26-2012, 02:12 PM

Thank you. I'm doing some research online to get an idea of what is available, and there are a few places that come up.

- Elm City Brewing Restaurant
- Summit Steak House
- Timoleon's Family Restaurant
- Del Rossi's Trattoria
- Michele's Ristorante
- Fireworks Restaurant

to name but a few

Skip

Old 10-27-2012, 12:58 AM

122 posts, read 313,327 times
There's a nice little yarn store (you did ask about yarn stores, right??) ~ think it's called The Knitting Nook ~ at the far end of Main St. downtown. My favorite restaurant in Keene is Luca's (also at the far end of Main St). My husband likes Elm City Brewing. Neither one of us were thrilled with our two visits to Koto, the Japanese restaurant that opened about six months ago. Oh, Kristen's Bakery is great for a quick breakfast or lunch ~ in the same area as Luca's. Main St. is loaded with small shops that will be ideal for stocking stuffer stuff (we too do Christmas stockings up big time!). A nice candy store, too, Ye Old Goodie Shop on Main St. The Colonial Theatre on Main St. often has something good going on. Take a drive towards Walpole (another nice town) or east to Peterborough (both are about a 30 min. drive from Keene, but in different directions) if you have the time.
Yes, you did miss the Pumpkin Fest last weekend, but it was soooo crowded that it was difficult to even walk around. Hope you enjoy your visit to Keene!

Old 10-27-2012, 05:51 AM

Thank you. What do those two towns have we should see or do?

Skip

Old 10-27-2012, 06:59 PM

122 posts, read 313,327 times
Not too much! They are just both nice little towns, if you want a feel for picturesque NH towns. They both have small but good "downtown" areas. Walpole has a good restaurant, Burdicks, plus some shops. Peterborough (where I live) also has a lovely downtown area. Very small, but with a good handful of shops and restaurants. It's the ambiance of both towns which may be attractive to you. Not so much if you're looking for a lot to do. But the scenery driving to both towns from Keene is beautiful. Just depends how much excitement you're looking for. If you're going to be in Keene for just a day or two, there will probably be enough in Keene to interest you. I love Keene, because it's got a bit more going on. But I love Peterborough, too, for its serenity and beauty. If you like to hike, Mt. Monadnock is waiting for you (it's in Jaffrey, a 20 min. drive out of Keene towards Peterborough). If you would rather drive up a mountain, Pac Monadnock is available (a little past Peterborough, driving east on 101).
I hope you enjoy your time in the Monadnock Region~

Old 10-27-2012, 07:12 PM

I hope we enjoy our time too. A lot will depend on the weather which is not looking very good at this time. The weather is sure to ruin any foliage that might be left.

The good news is I'll be able to go back at a later date if need be, and we will be looking forward to Keene, nh should we not get there this week.

Skip

Old 10-27-2012, 07:16 PM

[quote=nanciegord;26695889]Not too much! They are just both nice little towns, if you want a feel for picturesque NH towns. They both have small but good "downtown" areas. Walpole has a good restaurant, Burdicks, plus some shops. Peterborough (where I live) also has a lovely downtown area. Very small, but with a good handful of shops and restaurants. It's the ambiance of both towns which may be attractive to you. Not

Both places sound real nice and are the kind of place we love to visit, and we will add them to our list of places to see soon.

Skip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire