Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:38 AM

17 posts, read 35,307 times

Advertisements

Hi! We're moving up to NH this summer & saw some homes for sale that advertised generators. I also noticed on the Hurricane Sandy thread that some of you have homes with generators. Are these good to have? How much does it cost to put one in?

We currently reside in Manhattan and our power & water just came on this morning! It's been difficult with a baby & toddler in the apartment, but at least our gas stove worked. After this fiasco, the idea of having a home generator is quite nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 08:58 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
after the ice storm of '08.. most people got generators. whether it's tied into the house or not varies - some do (my parents do) many don't. the cost to buy a gennie will also depend on what size you have.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:59 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Some of it depends on where you live,

But My Dad 'in the woods' in Amherst has one, Both of my of my sisters in suburban Nashua. Have one.

My dad power goes out 2/3x a winter for few hours to a few days. The gen keep the heat (Oil) running, Hot-water (propane) The TV, and refrigerator, and 1 or 2 lights. Propane Gen

My sisters is a run a extension cord type that keep the same type item but it done by extension cords. Gasoline Gen. There power goes out but its normally much shorter in duration.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:50 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
It depends on the stability of your grid and how much discomfort you can tolerate. I lived here for 36 years without a generator.

Last year I got a cheap one from Amazon mainly for peace-of-mind. I rarely lose power but my neighbors have had outages for days/weeks. I have a sump pump that runs all winter and my backup system isn't great for long power outages. I also don't have a good alternative heat source (fireplace doesn't really cut it). If I didn't have some disposable income, I wouldn't have got it. For me, its a luxury item I could survive without.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:44 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Where i am is where i also work from and we do international working which means we must always have power to run a shop/factory while it is only 2 guys. So we have a near to hardwired gennie here that will run all the machines we use at the same time, and every single thing in the house.

Over kill for most folks.

Before and i have spent weeks with no power what so ever and couldn't have cared a whit about it.. BUT I am the survialist type..... I did things like have a car battery on hand a car radio with it, speakers and a CB, usually more than one. I run oil lamps still to heat my bed room, these are all antique mantle lamps, but for over 100 bucks each you can buy the new model 23 Alladins..... To heat my bed room in winter it can take up to 4 at once for a few hours.

I put up gasoline for my vehicles and always have. I usually live in place where fresh water is free for the taking and if not find local spring fit for drinking of which there are several in my area.

I have lived off the land 3 full years straight always starting out in a new place in September, not the best times.

After a while you don't think it out too much and just deal with it. No kids help.... My son is 31 now and has his own son.... I have no say .. Considering the economy, my age, and life in the USA as it is now I might disappear in any or all of the northern 3 states of New England with no notice and it won't bother me because it will be my choice.

So it all depends... A lot depends on what towns in NH you mean..... if you go rural you better know every detail there is and have a back up plan for everything.... if you go city dweller you might get some city like assistance on a bad day, but that isn't my way...

What ever you do do not bring the life style you have now with you to NH! You will see guns and hunters and maybe guns on people who are on horses, and so don't be calling the cops every time you see someone with a gun!

if you go rural it might be better to not tell locals where it is you came from for at least a year, which is about the time locals might start to talk to you.

We don't like much out of NYC in the first place. We have no use of it. But while i am local if i moved to any other rural place i would expect no other local to talk with me for a year.

That why is they want to see what you will do in winter..... A lot of people come and a lot of people fail and thar's no point in getting to know those who fail. because they leave. So it's not just you....

There is a thing city people who think they are big shots in a city do when they fail in the city, which ends up coming here. They will fail here too, but they don't know that.........yet. So they come and play big city slick and still fail....

Don't do that either.

I am sorry if I seem rude as i am not and i have no ill will, but I am telling it like it is. NH is no paradise... You either love the trees and the rocks or this place can be a living Hell. I myself am part sugar maple and granite rock....

Old 11-03-2012, 06:41 AM

17 posts, read 35,307 times
Thank you all for the tips and advice. I think for peace of mind we will purchase a generator, mainly for water (hot) and to keep the fridge running. As for heating, our goal is to get a wood or pellet stove. We want to be more self-sufficient when the power goes out, but we definitely aren't able to live off the land like Mac Muz. I respect him for his ability and desire to be more one with his surroundings. I will be the first to admit that I would probably perish if I had to solely live off of the land, particularly in cold harsh conditions. Maybe that's partly due to my family being rice farmers in the Mekong Delta. And maybe my potential neighbors in rural NH would choose not to speak to me, not because of where I came from (NYC), but because what I look like?

I've only resided in Manhattan for 3 months, which doesn't quite make me a Manhattanite, but more so than a Granite Stater at this time. Our family will live in NYC for 1 year so I can complete my medical training. This city and its people, despite their seemingly abrasive and materialistic exterior, are warm and generous. Even so, living in NYC is not our cup of tea, and we are looking for out. We will not be residing in rural NH, but outside of Manchester since that is where our hospitals are located. We are extremely happy to have found jobs in NH!

Mac Muz: Did you serve in the Viet Nam war? You're about the same age as my father. You two should talk. He loves the outdoors (probably not the cold as much) and survival stories. He escaped a Viet Cong reeducation camp and spent weeks traversing the highlands of VN before arriving back home. It's not quite as impressive as Dith Pran's journey through the Killing Fields of Cambodia, but still fascinating.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:44 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelleVN View Post
T And maybe my potential neighbors in rural NH would choose not to speak to me, not because of where I came from (NYC), but because what I look like?
oh no worries about that: NH really doesn't care that much what you look like, it's what sort of person you are - which is one reason it takes longer for NH folk to get to know newcomers (gotta see by your actions what you're like and if you're going to last a couple of years!).

Old 11-03-2012, 10:06 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Sorry it took me so long to post on this thread-I've tried a couple of times and got booted offline just as I hit the POST button ;( Hopefully this one sticks.

We lasted 3 days without a generator during the Ice Storm of 2008. When told that it could be another full week without power, and a snowstorm on the way, we decided to go for it~a good decision. I was able to cook on the top of the wood stove (I was so proud of myself felt like Little House on the Prairie) and outside on the grill because it hadn't gotten very cold yet (early December). Power was restored on Day 9 (during the snowstorm that had been predicted). Those line men were brought a box of joe from Dunks

We were really glad we had a generator because the next long term outage was (IIRC) the Wind Storm of early 2010. 60+ mph winds howled for hours and took down all the trees that didn't come down during the ice storm the previous winter. That was another 9 or 10 day outage.

By now, we are getting used to these multi-day outages. Even tho we have the generator, we are still limited as to what we can use: fridge, lights, tv are ok. We are careful to avoid having the furnace kick on at the same time as the water pump.

I highly recommend a wood stove and if there is a working fireplace, installing an insert, possibly with a catalytic converter (reburn) for energy efficiency and less polloution. When we were deciding whether to go with a wood stove insert or pellet stove, the insert won out for one reason: pellet stoves require a manufactured product, that has price fluctuations. Like oil, you can time the market to buy when they are cheapest, BUT if you really want to save money, go with firewood (or an insert that could burn wood or coal). Trees fall, neighbors cut trees, and if you're lucky, you can score several cords of raw wood. Of course it would still need to be cut, split, stacked, etc. It's alot of work, requires a place to store, and iashes are dirty to remove from the wood stove. But well worth it if saving $$ is your goal. Bonus: winter lawns appreciate sifted wood ash. Nice for early greening in springtime

Last edited by Valerie C; 11-03-2012 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: pellet stove addition...

Old 11-03-2012, 11:17 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
I am open to anyone face to face, and i surely would talk to you too, but don't expect locals to in NH, but not because of race, but because first we need to know if you can take it. In another life I had a neighbor lady from Thailand if that matters any. Her Husband was a GI and they shared a daughter. She passed away some years ago and what was left of her family left.

This is not to say older vets will or not accept you. They are what they are too. Me: I take people as they come. I don't see skin, uniforms, or much of anything. Every one is equal to me until proven otherwise, and one mistake can end it all. I used to let people walk over me roughshod, but no more. So I appear to be harsh and cold. I am pretty cold, and will openly admit it.

Face to face it's something different but it depends on how other interact with me.

In fact you are better off with me not being a city slick, from NYC, and bringing that lifestyle to NH.

Winters here are harsher. That farther north you go the worse it gets. Something like going west in NY State... Out west they get 'Lake Effect' snow.

Manchester (manch) has milder winters as most any city will. City's tend to hold heat on the ground, but still there will be days you probably can't get out very well. Driving on snow upsets most people the first time.

You must be able to drive to live in NH and own at least one car per family.

That pellet stove will be useless with out power. You can have one, but you should have a no power back up system like a air tight wood stove if that isn't main heat anyway.

If you run a air tight stove correctly it won't need a catalytic converter, but then who knows if you will learn to run it right. I know a lot of folks that just won't take the time to learn that skill.

NH gets weather.... it just does and there is no sense buying things that must always have power to just work.

We get Nor' Easters, Blizzards, Hurricanes , and a strange storm called Ice Storms. All of these put out power in hours, days or weeks. The ice storm is strange because there is no real rain no wind much at all and the temps will be right around 0 degrees C or 32 F.

In manch temps will get into the low teens in winter.... IE: 15 degree Fahrenheit = -9.4444444 degree Celsius

Re-read what i said in the first reply too...
I have moved into assorted different towns in NH and I have some funny stories about first meet ups with locals.

I spent a winter here knocked flat, dead broke, living off the land and when i moved it was only 6 miles. I went from tee pee living.

To the trailer from Hell

It was a September of course. My would be closest neighbor was a old man in his mid 70's and he drove up to where this mountain retreat was, and i just happened to be in the 'dooryard' splitting fire wood, lots and lots of fire wood, by hand with a maul.

He stepped out of his red ford truck and said 'Boy (I was in y 40's) you know what wintah' is?' and placed his hands on his hips.

I didn't look up, I didn't miss a stroke and i continued to split logs that i had set up on hard pan (packed hard dirt) in a 'C' shape. a Hit and split or hit and knock the log over maybe, set up that gets the job done faster for me than a gas splitter in the right wood.

He waited.... When I was done with that round i set up the logs that tipped over and set up the other pieces I needed to split again. Then I looked at him.

I said 'Mista' do you know Canaan Valley?' he said Ayha, I said I spent last wintah' down theya' livin' in a tee pee.

That cut it because that was probably the coldest snowiest winter on record for this area still holding almost. Winters 07-09 may compete, but i don't worry much about any winters. They are what they are and i like the cold and snow pretty well anyway.

I thought that old man was going to have a breakdown once he knew i knew what wintah' IS

We became good friends til the day he passed, EXCEPT for the day he called me on the phone to request i come to his place to get a cat off his porch that was into his garbage.

I went down there right away, and thinking it was a cat city people left since it was in Fall..... That happens all the time, and pets are just left behind to fend for themselves ..

Well, it was a cat alright, and i found out as fast as i took the steps into his dark enclosed porch.
I backed up outta' there as fast as i stomped in too. That cat was 9 feet long from it's head to the black tip of it's tail, and that old geeeza' was laughing at me out the window too!

So what ever happens to YOU has probably already happened to me in New Hampshire. Do avoid the big cats though... behind glass is one thing, face to face is something else

Old 11-03-2012, 08:06 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
I think a generators a good idea. But you don't need to spend $15k on a whole-house generator setup to be happy for a week or two without power. A good quality portable generator, outside hookup jack, and interlock for the main panel will get the job done. Likewise you don't need to run a generator 24/7 to be happy. We run ours in the morning to take a hot shower, heat the house up, cool the fridge/freezer...then turn it off...then again at night. Total maybe 3-4 hours of run-time a day...and we're good. We don't rely on it for lighting and we make sure that when it is on we fill a few sport water bottles to drink for the day.

If we had a wood stove- we'd probably only use it for a shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire