Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 12,381 times

Advertisements

We are wondering about Berlin .. I hear the paper mill makes it a bit smelly ?
what are the neighboring towns?
what are the best towns in NH for job hunting ? least expensive house prices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 10:18 PM

133 posts, read 559,197 times
It depends on what you do for work. There isn't a whole lot up there.
Housing is pretty cheep up there but Berlin is a bit of a pit (no offence)

Old 10-01-2006, 09:40 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
The paper mill has shut down. There are lots of folks without jobs and the economy is quite depressed up there right at the moment. Apparently the State is building a new prison up there which promises to help with the job situation.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 12,381 times
what is the actual town like ?
how many schools are there ?
library?
shops?
we are thinking of a career change and hear that you can teach in norhern NH towns that have teacher shortages while you are working on your teaching certification.. any one have any experience with that?

Old 11-01-2007, 08:13 PM

37 posts, read 121,105 times
If you already hold a degree in something related to education, it will be much easier to go through alternative certification (check on the state of NH dept of ed site for options). You will be in high demand in many districts if you have a degree in math or science.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:43 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by true blue View Post
what is the actual town like ?
how many schools are there ?
library?
shops?
we are thinking of a career change and hear that you can teach in norhern NH towns that have teacher shortages while you are working on your teaching certification.. any one have any experience with that?
I was born and lived in Berlin until i was 18. Been in FL for 14 years and i'm heading back next summer. Honestly, I'm not moving back because of the town but because i want to be closer with my family. The town is really old run down. We were just up there in August and i couldn't belive how bad it looks. There are no jobs. The mill is shut down and in fact the stacks were recently shut down. Growing up when the mill was open, the whole town did have a stinky smell to it. it was horrible. There really are no jobs other than grocery stores, walmart and banks. There is a prison there already that just opened, i think it's state prison but they are also building a federal prison currently. (it could be the other way around, the federal prison is already there and they are building a state prison but either way 2 prisons will be there eventually) There is a 72 bed hospital right in town though. Shopping such as malls is usually 1 hour away. There is a JcPenny in town and a Sears that sells just appliances but the majority of your shopping such as clothes and things are usually done in North Conway area an hour away. There was a library in town when i was growing up. I think it's still there and open. Basically everything you need in life is right in town. As far as the schools, i went to all of them, there is 1 elementary, 1 middle and 1 high school. I turned out ok. My daughter will be doing all 4 years of high school when we go back next year and some of the same teachers i had are still there. Though she will be in the ESE classes which i know they need special ed teachers if that's your specialty. Get this, in high school, the guidance counselor was my PRESCHOOL teacher and she's still the guidance counselor. I think the schools pay more up there too. As far as the people there, everyone is very friendly with each other. If you like doing things outdoors like boating, fishing, hiking, ATV riding, snowmobile riding, hunting, etc then this is the area for you. Taxes are high in Berlin but if you move to Milan you'll save on taxes. Milan is just 5 miles outside of Berlin and is kind of country setting where in Berlin a lot of homes are crammed in together so you really have no property. Sorry it's so long but in a nutshell i would only move there if i were a teacher, some kind of medical staff or someone who could work for the prison. That's the only GOOD jobs up there. Thankfully i work at home so jobs are not an issue for me when i move back.

Last edited by daniellefort; 11-02-2007 at 05:53 AM..

Old 11-02-2007, 05:45 AM

Here's a great link someone did on UTUBE.

YouTube - Home - Berlin, New Hampshire

Is shows everything you could possibly need to see about Berlin. A lot of history in Berlin and the surrounding areas.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:34 PM

I forgot to mention Gorham is the other bordering town to Berlin. It's the touristy town especially during the foliage season because it has the main access roads to get to Maine and 2 routes to get to southern N.H on either side of Mt. Washington. In gorham, you'll find more restaurants, the super Walmart, some gift shops, automotive dealerships and much nicer homes but if i had to choose a place to live, i would choose Milan overall.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:25 PM

452 posts, read 1,733,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Here's a great link someone did on UTUBE.

YouTube - Home - Berlin, New Hampshire

Is shows everything you could possibly need to see about Berlin. A lot of history in Berlin and the surrounding areas.
Excellent.....two thumbs up......Thanks for sharing that clip. Even after living in NH all my life, there are times like this that stir those inner feelings and make me so very happy that I still choose to make this beautiful state my home. Have a rep....

Old 11-05-2007, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 10,427 times
Berlin has lost the Mill, so the smell has gone. We are working on building a new City, one to be compared to. I have lived here my whole life, with the exception of attending college, and have found Berlin as a city with the greatest possibilities. Berlin will go through a great deal of change in the next 5 years. If you wait to long the property values will be sky high, buy now invest in your future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire