Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 04:37 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times

Advertisements

Were your children home schooled?

Old 11-11-2012, 06:40 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
It isn't sustainable to have continually increasing spending for schools when enrollment continues to decline. Something will have to give. The new 2012 tax rates are out on a town by town basis and most of the rates are up across the board again. Either the towns 1) Increase the tax base by attracting and growing new businesses, 2)Keep spending flat or cut back, 3)Get more people to move to town and pay taxes (Hasn't happened as much since the housing market semi-imploded, particularly in the more rural areas).

Old 11-11-2012, 07:13 PM

238 posts, read 315,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It isn't sustainable to have continually increasing spending for schools when enrollment continues to decline. Something will have to give. The new 2012 tax rates are out on a town by town basis and most of the rates are up across the board again. Either the towns 1) Increase the tax base by attracting and growing new businesses, 2)Keep spending flat or cut back, 3)Get more people to move to town and pay taxes (Hasn't happened as much since the housing market semi-imploded, particularly in the more rural areas).
I was wondering about this myself. With both the birthrate and immigration down, how long will be before it makes sense to close/consolidate schools?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:39 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeti View Post
I was wondering about this myself. With both the birthrate and immigration down, how long will be before it makes sense to close/consolidate schools?
It's already happened in many towns across the state. Concord had a large consolidation and built several new schools to replace multiple older buildings. Unfortunately, the taxpayers are on the hook for some of those new buildings as they are bonded. Did Concord's tax rate go down? No. It will continue to increase for the next several years due to the new school construction projects that ARE consolidation based.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:49 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,198,331 times
Thumbs up Thanks Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Scrap the failed public education system.. it doesn't work, it doesn't produce a quality product, it does nothing for the future of our state or nation

Homeschool Kids do Better Than Public School Kids

Thanks for the link.
I know a very nice lady on this forum homeschools in NH, and her children are doing really well

Old 11-14-2012, 05:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Default Public Education

I should like the idea of homeschooling or direct tuition payments as we do not have children. Not paying for public schools would reduce my taxes by about $1200 a year. That sounds like a good deal.

Well, it is not. It would actually be the most expensive $1200 I ever saved. I would have to spend far more just in security costs to keep the uneducated from robbing me blind looking for food and shelter. If I were in business I would be stuck with illiterate workers unable to read basic safety instructions. It would be the 1800’s with a vengeance.

IMHO Public Education of everyone regardless of ability to pay is one of the greatest inventions ever. It is the basis of increased industrial and business productivity as well as perpetuating civilized mostly peaceful society. It is also a key in eliminating the exclusivity of privilege that has separated the kids of the managers from the children of the workers. The owners’ kids have always had a separate system designed to protect privilege. Basically educated people are necessary in a Democratic Republic to function.

I believe that the No Child Left Behind and teaching to the test are complete absurdities. I also believe that anyone that wants to drop out of public schooling should leave. Schools should be for the people that want to learn. The rest should get the hell out of the way.

Public education should be extended to four years of college for the qualified at very minimal tuition, room, food and medical care. This will help us develop a thoughtful, civilized and prosperous society for the good of all. That is worth the cost even for those that do not have children.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:44 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I should like the idea of homeschooling or direct tuition payments as we do not have children. Not paying for public schools would reduce my taxes by about $1200 a year. That sounds like a good deal.

Well, it is not. It would actually be the most expensive $1200 I ever saved. I would have to spend far more just in security costs to keep the uneducated from robbing me blind looking for food and shelter. If I were in business I would be stuck with illiterate workers unable to read basic safety instructions. It would be the 1800’s with a vengeance.

IMHO Public Education of everyone regardless of ability to pay is one of the greatest inventions ever. It is the basis of increased industrial and business productivity as well as perpetuating civilized mostly peaceful society. It is also a key in eliminating the exclusivity of privilege that has separated the kids of the managers from the children of the workers. The owners’ kids have always had a separate system designed to protect privilege. Basically educated people are necessary in a Democratic Republic to function.

I believe that the No Child Left Behind and teaching to the test are complete absurdities. I also believe that anyone that wants to drop out of public schooling should leave. Schools should be for the people that want to learn. The rest should get the hell out of the way.

Public education should be extended to four years of college for the qualified at very minimal tuition, room, food and medical care. This will help us develop a thoughtful, civilized and prosperous society for the good of all. That is worth the cost even for those that do not have children.
Groan.... Back when I lived in NH, 75% of my town taxes went to pay for the schools... to the tune of $18K a year for schools I never used... So much for 'live free or die'.
For the 'illiterate workers unable to read basic safety instructions', that explains why (and this was well over a decade ago), 45% of my engineering staff was from India, and 45% was from China.

Quote:"I also believe that anyone that wants to drop out of public schooling should leave." That directly contradicts your statement " I would have to spend far more just in security costs to keep the uneducated from robbing me blind looking for food and shelter."

Quote:"It is also a key in eliminating the exclusivity of privilege that has separated the kids of the managers from the children of the workers." I guess then you have never sent a child to a really good university (or private school). Takes a boatload of cash. (The public schools aren't cheap, either, just we taxpayers have little say over it).

Just a personal opinion....

Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Groan.... Back when I lived in NH, 75% of my town taxes went to pay for the schools... to the tune of $18K a year for schools I never used... So much for 'live free or die'.
Who exactly forced you to buy a house that cost $24000 a year on taxes? You didn't know beforehand what a million dollar home would cost in taxes?

Old 11-14-2012, 09:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Default education

The real reason you hired Indian and Chinese engineers is they demanded lower wages because their education was paid for by someone else.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
Who exactly forced you to buy a house that cost $24000 a year on taxes? You didn't know beforehand what a million dollar home would cost in taxes?
No one forced me... but after watching the tax rates skyrocket over the years I was there (well, not the rate, but the assessment). Talked with the assessor, and he stated, after I told him that I could only sell one of the houses for a fraction of the assessment, his response was "well, many of the houses here are over-assessed". Not a good answer. It was only $8K in taxes when I first moved there. The new school they built, in the argument to do it was "it won't raise taxes". ROTFLMAO.

I just took extreme objection to paying for things that I don't use or care about. Police, fire, road plowing, town services, that is all fine. But that only accounted for 25% of the tax bill. Had to take my trash to the transfer station, and really didn't use any of the other services in the town. Well, it colored me gone.

The only worse abuse of taxpayers' money I remember was in Lawrence MA, where they blew something like $70M on the school, and they were using new laptops as doorstops.

Taxation should be a pay-as-you-go structure. If I wanted an Aston Martin, I should be expected to entirely pay for it myself (unless you are volunteering, without choice, to chip in... might even take you for a ride in it)

Thomas Jefferson was right.

JMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire