Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,245 times

Advertisements

Hi all - I'm looking to open a doggy daycare in Goffstown and I'm just trying to get a sense of the demand for this service. I'm hoping to focus on smaller dogs at least at first, (under 40 lbs). Are there a lot of smaller dogs in the Goffstown area? The services would be day care available from 7 am to 7 pm for commuters who want their dogs to socialize while they're at work, and boarding for those clients who are going out of town. I'm hoping to create a really fun home-like environment for the dogs, with lots of one on one attention. The rates aren't set yet, but no more than $20 for daycare.

I have a property I can use in Goffstown, and I thought it might be a good commuter spot - most people I know in the area commute for work, and this could be a wonderful way to make sure their pets are taken care of. Any area residents who can offer their advice? I'd really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
Goffstown is not a large town. Competition will be fierce.... There are already 4 dog businesses which do grooming, boarding and socialization.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:22 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Your previous experience with dogs will the the most important feature, along with the daycare area. Is this from your home, or a commercial location? Do you have past experience with grooming? Training? Vet tech? Pet sittiing for an established company? Many people are now doing research before leaving their precious furkids with people, and "I've always loved animals and this sounds like a good way to work from home and make $$" just won't get you the business that you need to create a sucessful business.

Now, thinking back, sure wish I had a crystal ball to know how big the pet care industry was going to become. My life at one time was all about the dogs: owner-handled my own dogs to champion titles, put obedience titles on as well, vet reception, vet tech and professionally schooled groomer. Had my own shop, with some boarding for clients only. I had waiting lists for new clients, and never advertised. The more services you can offer, the more likely you can attract from a wide variety of clientele. I wish you all the best--would love to hear back if you DO open a day care!!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:33 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
I agree with everything Val said. Years ago, I had to board my husky - hated leaving her. Unfortunately it was the last time I ever saw her alive. She desperately tried to get out of the kennel and somehow managed to squeeze her head between the gates and was strangled.

The owner offered us $ as retribution and was afraid of a lawsuit for damages. We didn't sue... We knew they didn't know that could happen. They changed the kennel set up and removed the chain link surrounds to replace them with solid plywood with no spaces.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 AM

123 posts, read 247,690 times
I think being in the Greater Manchester area you will be facing stiff competition. Most people, such as myself, that use doggy-daycare already have a place that they are comfortable with. I wouldn't change places due to closeness to home....my dog likes where he is at, and I trust the people that work there.

North of and around Concord is another story. Not much to choose from.

Good Luck!

Old 12-12-2012, 03:49 PM

93 posts, read 167,265 times
I'm from Goffstown as well, just wishing you luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire