Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 08:18 AM

7 posts, read 65,791 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for a place for retirement. We currently live in Arizona and both like the idea of living in New England. She is from Boston and I from Michigan. We have lived and worked in many places. After some research, New Hampshire tops the list of states.

We will have about $250k to spend on a house or condo.

Our list of requirements, in priority sequence:

1) Safe (Low crime rate)
2) Access to health care
3) Cost of living
4) Large (100,000+) city within 1 hour
5) Acceptance by locals
6) Outdoor activities (Hiking, Fishing, etc)
7) Community activities (Volunteer work, etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 08:09 PM

133 posts, read 559,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheHill View Post
My wife and I are looking for a place for retirement. We currently live in Arizona and both like the idea of living in New England. She is from Boston and I from Michigan. We have lived and worked in many places. After some research, New Hampshire tops the list of states.

We will have about $250k to spend on a house or condo.

Our list of requirements, in priority sequence:

1) Safe (Low crime rate)
2) Access to health care
3) Cost of living
4) Large (100,000+) city within 1 hour
5) Acceptance by locals
6) Outdoor activities (Hiking, Fishing, etc)
7) Community activities (Volunteer work, etc)
Most people leave New Hampshire and retire in Arizona not the other way around.

Leaving the comfort of Arizona to come back to the harsh winters of NE would be tough for most but if that's what your looking for more power to you.

I'd start by looking in the south central area. Unfortunately $250 won't get you a lot any more and the property taxes are pretty hi through out NH.

I believe Manchester is the biggest city followed by Nashua. Any of the towns between them would fit your guide lines.

Hope that helps

Old 10-03-2006, 08:51 AM

Thnx for the reply.

>>Most people leave New Hampshire and retire in Arizona not the other way around.

We are not like most people. We have decided that we need 4 seasons instead of 2.

>>I'd start by looking in the south central area.

That is the same area that gets my attention. I am getting keen on Keene.

>>Unfortunately $250 won't get you a lot any more and the property taxes are pretty hi through out NH.

We assume that our standard of living will go down because of the increased cost of living. However, we assume that our quality of living will go up. We would try to rent for a year just in case our assumptions are bogus.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:10 PM

The Keene area is nice but a bit out of the way.

Your better then an hour from any of the major cities, hospitals, or major happenings.

There are no major highways in or out but it's not that difficult to get there.

Housing costs are a little lower then the Concord or Manchester area and I think it meets a some of your other criteria.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,785 times
New Hampshire is very pricey around $400k for what a house for $250k would be in Arizona From new england originally, you might try maine
Moon

Old 10-05-2006, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonIndigo View Post
New Hampshire is very pricey around $400k for what a house for $250k would be in Arizona From new england originally, you might try maine
Moon
I think those figures are way off. It all depends where in AZ and NH your looking. More than likely he's not looking for a great big house with lots of land and up keep to retire to. The market is very soft right now and prices have come down a bit. I think you could find a nice 5 or 6 room ranch or cape for under 300K the Keene area easy enough.

Tax wise your better in NH than Maine. Property taxes are higher in NH but there isn't an income or sales tax. Check the other threads but I think you would be better all around in NH.

Although retiring to Maine would be different than just moving and raising a family.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:48 AM

Looking around, it appears that natural gas is not widely available. Does that mean I would be heating with oil and cooking with electricity ?

Those are two things I have done in the past but did not enjoy.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:59 PM

Liquid propane gas is widely used in the area. Same as you use in your BBQ grill. Tanks are set out side typically 100 to 300 lbs in volume and delivered by a truck like oil is.
It's cost is close to oil. It burns cleaner and lasts a little longer then a tank of oil would.
I've had it a home and it worked out well but natural gas is a bit cheaper and more convenient.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 10,286 times
Does anyone know what the taxes are in Berlin, NH currently? I need to move, and I don't know if Berlin, NH has lower taxes then Malone, NY.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,523 times
Default coos county

i am considering a move to this county near pittsburg Can anyone tell me the current market value of homes/real estate in that area or in coos county
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire