Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 06:45 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,957 times

Advertisements

I would cross MA off your list if your going to both be working in NH. Plenty of towns in south east NH that fit the bill and most likely more affordable then northeast MA. Just beware if you do live in NH and work in MA you will still need to pay MA income tax.

Living in NH and working in NH is ideal since you wont have to pay income tax or sales tax, only big tax will be your property tax and that varies town to town, typically towns with good schools pay more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 08:06 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Living in NH and working in NH is ideal since you wont have to pay income tax or sales tax, only big tax will be your property tax and that varies town to town, typically towns with good schools pay more.
Except wages can be significantly lower in NH than MA. Much lower than the 5% MA income tax in my experience. Don't rule anything out, see for yourself what comparable jobs in MA pay. There's a reason traffic flows south in the morning and north in the evening. If you can find a good job in NH, great! But don't fear looking for work in MA just because of the 5% income tax.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:30 PM

395 posts, read 458,557 times
If you're a pharmacist you're going to make decent money anywhere you go so I'd stay out of MA. No sense in giving the m*******s any of your hard earned money when you don't have to.

A few people have mentioned Exeter. yes it quaint, perhaps too quaint. I don't think there's been a new house built in Exeter in the last 50 years. If you move here you will be living in an old home. If you like that great.

I'd stay away from Dover, Somersworth, and Rochester. These are not exactly the best towns for raising a family.

No one mentioned Kingston. Kingston is a great small town just next to Brentwood and close to the seacoast. Some other nice towns in the seacoast area are are Stratham, Rye, Newcastle, Hampton Falls and Kensington.

There are a lot of nice suburbs around Manchester and it's really not a bad city but I prefer the Portsmouth area. Definitely much more to do in Portsmouth area than in Manchester.

At the risk of offending some of my fellow New Hampshireites I'll offer the disclaimer that the following is entirely my opinion:

Stay the hell away from Nashua. It's a toilet. It really is. Overcrowded, horrible traffic, pain in the butt to get from one prt of the city to another etc etc.......

You're going to have to come here and see what feels right to you though..........

Old 01-10-2013, 09:36 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
A few people have mentioned Exeter. yes it quaint, perhaps too quaint. I don't think there's been a new house built in Exeter in the last 50 years. If you move here you will be living in an old home. If you like that great.
I don't know when the last time you've been to Exeter is, but there are MANY homes build in the 70s, 80's, 90's and right on through 2012. Of course Exeter is home to some of the most gorgous and prestigeous turn of the century (and older) homes in the area. I just checked the MLS and noticed that the 5 most expensive properties for sale in Exeter right now are all antique properties: Built in 1860, priced at 1.1 million, built in 1750, priced 750K. Built in 1936, 699K, and built in 1874: 699K. One more, built in 1800 is going for 693K.

Quote:
No one mentioned Kingston. Kingston is a great small town just next to Brentwood and close to the seacoast. Some other nice towns in the seacoast area are are Stratham, Rye, Newcastle, Hampton Falls and Kensington.
If you are going to consider Kingston, you might as well also look at Newton. They share the Sanborn school district, but Newton is a bit more 'blue collar' than Kingston. Kingston also has a nice lake and 'the plains'.

Stratham, Rye, Newcastle, Hampton Falls and Kensington: nice towns, some more rural than others. One more, South Hampton has the distinction of being the only NH town that sends HS students over the border, to Amesbury MA.

You really do have to come for a visit to get a feel for the subtle differences of each town

Old 01-11-2013, 08:36 AM

15 posts, read 46,248 times
Quote:
I'd stay away from Dover, Somersworth, and Rochester. These are not exactly the best towns for raising a family

DB77, just curious, but why do you say Dover, Rochester, and Somersworth aren't any good for raising a family? I'm currently in grad school in DC, but am giving serious thought to trying to land a job in NH after gaining the degree. Dover caught my eye as being a nice looking town with beautiful turn of the century neighborhoods and a lively walkable downtown, plus an amtrak station, and close proximity to Portsmouth.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:01 AM

There is too much UNH influence in Dover. I am a UNH alumnus but I would not want to live in a town where there were many college kids renting unless I was one of them. That's one thing. I just never cared for Dover either. I prefer something a little less crowded and more rural. This stuff is all subjective.

As for Exeter, I rented there for a year and don't remember seeing a single home that looked like it had been built within the last 30 years. the majority of homes there are very old. That might me great for some but I don't do the old home thing.

When did the OP say she was coming here to visit?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM

15 posts, read 46,248 times
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I could understand not wanting to be around college kids all the time. For me UNH is actually on my radar for a job, as I'm a librarian and while I'm not working at a university right now, have done so in the past and really liked it.

As for it being a bit too crowded for you, fair enough. Everyone has their own zen when it comes to level of rural vs. urban. After spending the last 12 years of my life in the craziness of a major city whose suburbs go on for miles and miles (I live 4 blocks from the U.S. Capitol building in DC), Dover seems downright quaint.

I've also thought Plymouth (also a college town, so possible job spot) was nice looking, but my fiancee thinks it's too far into the "boonies".

Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 AM

arthwys

If you're looking for a college town you might try Hanover, where Dartmouth is located. it might be too far in "the boonies" for your fiancee but the area is absolutely beautiful.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:48 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthwys View Post
DB77, just curious, but why do you say Dover, Rochester, and Somersworth aren't any good for raising a family? I'm currently in grad school in DC, but am giving serious thought to trying to land a job in NH after gaining the degree. Dover caught my eye as being a nice looking town with beautiful turn of the century neighborhoods and a lively walkable downtown, plus an amtrak station, and close proximity to Portsmouth.
Can you tell me where the beautiful turn of the century neighborhoods are in Dover? I'd like to check them out. I've been here 3 years and wondering if I'm missing something. I don't find downtown Dover particularly lively, esp. in winter or at least when compared to Portsmouth. However when UNH is in session, you will find the groups of UNH kids out drinking. The restaurant scene can't really compare to Portsmouth (as well) so I'm glad Portsmouth is close otherwise I would have left the seacoast a long time ago.

I chose Dover as I wanted to be close to work for winter driving.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Stay the hell away from Nashua. It's a toilet. It really is. Overcrowded, horrible traffic, pain in the butt to get from one prt of the city to another etc etc.......

You're going to have to come here and see what feels right to you though..........
You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but one of the things I like about Nashua are the restaurant choices downtown. Indian, Vietnamese, etc. and there's an Asian grocery store by the Mill apartments. Diversity is not one of NH' strong points but you can see it in Nashua. I personally prefer Nashua to Manchester, but I acknowledge I should explore Manchester more (though I like the museum)
My favourite NH towns continue to be Portsmouth, Hanover and to a lesser degree, Exeter. I bought a scooter and I'm fond of the rolling hills of Rollinsford and the drive from Durham to Newmarket (Crepes and brazilian sandwiches) and onwards to Exeter via Newfields. Lovely drive.

The one seacoast town that disappointed is Durham.. I expected a lively college town and when you drive on the one main street.. you pretty much have seen downtown. I had high hopes when I first moved to the seacoast...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire