Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 01:51 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times

Advertisements

Maybe you need a land line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 02:02 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
Have you tried getting a replacement phone? It could be that you have a bad phone.
That was the idea when i went to verizon and left the phone with them. It's there phone. I told them to make it work.. They had it 3 days... Said it did, it doesn't not here..

I suspected by may not be correct that the towers are directional...... and power was cut... But verizon isn't talking..

I don't have every day since Dec 6th to go there, or have my wife go there......

They will either make it work or get dropped... This isn't going to be my problem. I am not brand loyal about anything. So if they want business they need to do something to make it right and if not neither of us will care.

I asked here to get a feel for things in a bigger area...

According to my wife her face book friends are getting away from verizon too... That's only 6 other people so far.. All of them are having problems starting in December..... I don't know why or what.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Maybe you need a land line.
I used to have one, but didn't need 2 phones. Much of the time we are not here anyway.. If you recall 1 year ago November we moved out of here, and came back in June.

I almost never talk on any phone.. My wife is the one who likes it.

If i had my way we would leave the world of man and go live deeper in the woods..... again.

I still dream of paddling off into Maine and to be just lost.. if my wife gets sick of the modern man BS world we'er gone.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 PM

147 posts, read 268,730 times
I know my phone is sketchy up RT 16....once I get past Wakefield, its hit and miss. I know I drop a lot of calls up there, and cell towers are basically line of sight. I was going to say 4 miles, it should work, but I know there is a 4g tower less than 4 miles from me and I get 1 bar, 2 if lucky on Verizon. My cell phone is Sprint though, but I roam on Verizon towers too. It sounds like you need a different phone, and if that doesnt do it.....switch, but up there I bet cell reception is tough anyhow. But seeing how it worked before, the simplest explanation is that you switched phones and that would be the problem. I am switching to Verizon in March....from Sprint.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:32 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Tracfone has no carrier of it's own.
Tracfone uses one of the regular carriers.
AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Tracfone has no carrier of it's own.
Tracfone uses one of the regular carriers.
AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc.
That's how I understand it..... There is 4 towers in my area and this phone is roaming to the wrong ones. verizon wants big moola for roaming to wrong towers.

This was no issue before...

frozintime thanks.... The tower i see is up high on the mountain at Rts 16 and 25 where the Yankee Smoke House is. I can't see it standing in the dooryard but if i climbed a pine tree i could.

I have a hand held garmin gps for hiking and it says 4.1 miles as the crow flies.

Other people have been here in the past and used cell phones no problem, and we did since 06 when we first came to be till now. Beats me...

Just need the right phone for here, but it looks like verizon isn;t the one anymore. We have been with them since day 1, or 7 years.

maybe that's it that old 7 year itch

Old 01-04-2013, 05:37 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
My wife changed her cell plan from a less expensive plan to a more expensive plan and is now getting less signal power than before. Basically useless.

As if Feburary 5th I will no longer support Verizon since it seems they don't care a bit about 7 year long customers. We see others in NH on Face Book are also leaving Verizon.

We left the phone itself with a branch office and they say the item is working correctly. We just live 4 miles and 1/10th from the closest tower and are roaming.

At this point we have to drive to with in 1 mile of the tower to answer any calls. To me this is unacceptable and so Verizon will be no more...

I am just curious about other people and their service..

At this point Verizon could give me a free phone and 5 years service and I would turn it down.

Dealing with them since Dec 6th and not having a working phone has cost me plenty..

We suspect they have cut power since we had bars we no longer get.
It is interesting you brought this topic up as well. I have verizon as well and live in WI currently but just upgraded my phone a few weeks ago. The coverage with my new smart phone is much worse than it was with my older phone and I will not get reception in some places or inside of some buildings. Before, I could get reliable reception anywhere I wanted for the most part. I think Verizon is definitely going downhill fast.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It is interesting you brought this topic up as well. I have verizon as well and live in WI currently but just upgraded my phone a few weeks ago. The coverage with my new smart phone is much worse than it was with my older phone and I will not get reception in some places or inside of some buildings. Before, I could get reliable reception anywhere I wanted for the most part. I think Verizon is definitely going downhill fast.
I appreciate the reply... What is a little odd is the distance...... But you make number 8 now.. and in another state. Is there something up with Verizon?

My wife would like a phone that works of course, and to retain the same number too.

I can't say what we will do, just that we need to do something once and right the first time and Verizon seems to be out of ideas......

According to them the phone works fine..... To bad no one can call ...... We are paid up to Feb 5th, so something has to happen before or by that date... The ball is in Verizons court so far as i care.

Do they want long term customers or not? There is several other options.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,171 times
Spent the entire summer all over NH. Never an issue. Send Verizon Customer Service an email. Explain your situation. I am a long time customer and have found that if you identify your problem, offer a solution, provide your expectations, and do so in a rational, fair, and articulate manner--you will be extremely satisfied. I have received upgrades, rate reductions, and outstanding customer service.

Finally, do yourself a big favor and get yourself a nice phone, one that works, and one with all the capability you deserve.

Best of luck.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:48 AM

611 posts, read 1,204,920 times
Seems the newer phones only pick up digital signals where the older phones ran on analog as well. My son has an old "dumb" phone and he got a better signal while visiting than I did on my "smart" phone. Had the same issue in Washington state as well. I think cell signal is more of an issue in mountainous terrain. My better half lived less than 10 miles from me when we were dating and couldn't get a consistant signal to save his life. Called Verizon and was told the coverage was not as good in his area as he was close to some 1000-2000 foot hills. No plans for another cell tower, so he got online and bought a "trucker antenna" that he could hook into his phone for a better signal. I don't know what it was called for real, but this might be your solution to home cell phone issues. Might be my solution again as well, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire