Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:11 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,564,593 times

Advertisements

I am a single, female, 60's. I am thinking Portsmouth might be fine for starting a business or just retiring. Taxes aren't too bad.
1. Is there a train from Portsmouth to NYC or Boston or up and down the coast you can catch?
2. Average two bedroom condo cost there?
3. Property taxes on the two bedroom average cost condo would be approximately????
4. Any good local hospitals there or for really excellent care is it Boston?
5. Stupid or good idea for me. I want to find some guy as a companion, so, if there are no social outlets, this would suck. Anyone have an idea of activities there to do? Clubs that older people go to? I would hate to be the lone older single woman among nothing but college kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 12:28 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,147 times
Tootsie, try to find posts by CityGirl52, she lives in the seacoast area, and has the low-down on shopping, restaurants, social stuff.

I can try to help you with prices of real estate, rentals, etc Would you be looking for a garden style (1 floor, many condo "conversions" available) or a townhome, with garage, etc. There are 70 2-bedroom condos active right now on the MLS. Taxes on the smallest unit is just around $2000. The garden styles range from $120,000 for 800 s/f up to $8000,000 for a luxury waterfront townhouse, and everything in between. I'd post a link for you to see what's there, but there's no way to do it without including my contact info, which I think would be considered advertisement. If you're interested, I can private message it to you directly.

Portsmouth Hospital has an excellent reputation, of course for very specialized medicine, Boston is so close that you find many of the top Dr's in the field there. Depends on what you're looking for I would suppose.

If you're interested in riding the choo choo, Amtrak's Downeaster will get you there. You can head North to Maine (I believe Wells or Biddeford plus Old Orchard, Portland)In NH, there are stops in Dover, Durham (UNH), Exeter, down to Mass stops in Haverhill, Woburn, to Boston. Once there, you can pick up Amtrak Acela, which travels Boston to Baltimore, Philly, NYC, DC.

Portsmouth is a beautiful area, however there are very nearby communities that don't carry the hefty price that comes from having a Portsmouth zip code. Is being on the water important to you? If not, consider Dover, Stratham, Exeter. Durham is beautiful but with UNH, college kids are everywhere 9 months of the year....

Old 10-19-2007, 12:30 PM

147 posts, read 268,664 times
Hi Toots,

1) The train can be caught in Dover or Durham or Exeter.
2) Avg was probably 300-350K for 2 bed condo as of June....at least was....maybe less now?
3) This I am not absolutely sure of....but am going to guess about 7000 a year based on 300-350K...
4) There is a regional hospital in Portsmouth that is very good, but comparing it to Boston hospitals is like comparing Logan airport to Pease.
5) I cannot say on this...ask Valerie when you see her. She might know better than I.

Good luck!
Matt

Old 10-20-2007, 10:02 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,348 times
The beauty of living on the seacoast for every one of us is that it's so close to Boston, that's the bottom line with me and a big huge plus. The ocean of course is right here for the summer months and for walking and running along the boardwalk and sidewalks for most of the year. I personally would shoot for being closer to Boston if I were you; especially where you're single like me. Oh I'd still want to be near the ocean where I grew up near it all my life, I'm looking further south though quite a big. If I were you, I'd pick any town south of Portsmouth, as south as you can get, you want to be as close to Boston as you can get. Portsmouth is evidently like P-town down at ole Cape Cod for gays, only Portsmouth is for a lot of gay women. I never knew that before until I read about it one day in the Boston Globe Magazine, there was this big article about it all, and you know to be perfectly honest with you? I never saw one single solitary gay women in that city, so I don't know what they're talking about! (Whatever floats their boat!) It's an absolutely beautiful, unique town with wonderful brick shops, cafes and restaurants, very artsy and it has a very sea porty feel to it when you walk around it all. The prices are definitely coming down for condos and houses up through Portsmouth and of course everywhere else in New England these days. I'm keeping tabs on a house right now, near where I work down in Mass. and can't believe how it went down in price just in the last few months.

IN any case, if you want my opinion, seacoast living to me has been very limited for singles, it always was and it always will be. It's definitely geared for couples & families with their kids, it's absolutely ideal for them. It's not ideal for a lot of us unfortunately. Just go with the flow though if this is where you want to live that's all. I have a big family with tons of nieces and nephews and they're all close by, so that's something I do like about it all, but they grew up SO fast these days and are now sprouting their little wings and where do some of them want to live after growing up in southern NH on our lovely seacoast of nh? Right down in Boston, it cracks me up to no end, it's a big turnaround!!! Don't go by me though, my family and all their kids are all up here but my life long friends are mostly all down around Boston and that's where I go quite a lot of times to hang out with them and to get away from family!

My goal right now is to move closer to the Boston area (as I age gracefully with the rest of us baby boomers!) I'm catching up to you TootsieWootsie, 7 more years and I'll be there too. Hey, my siblings are NOT putting me in one of these nursing homes "up around here" when the time comes, there's NO way, they're going to have to catch me...IF they can!!!

There's a really cute email going around lately and it says that men are called bachelors when they're single, when women are single they're genius'! How appropriate!

Good luck with your search for just the right place to live. You might still like it just the same living in Portsmouth or may be one of the surrounding towns might work. Do your homework good on it all. You're getting an honest assessement of it from me and I can tell you that I'm living here also due to our elderly mother's situation right now. She knows if and when something happens to her? I'm out of here so fast your head will spin and every one knows it, hopefully it's my last move, I hate this moving from here to there and everywhere else, as long as it's IN New England I'll be happy, well...let's put it this way, as long as it's near BOSTON, I'll be even happier than I am here! the thought of moving again....yikes!

Hope you find just the right place!

Old 10-20-2007, 10:17 AM

188 posts, read 989,140 times
Portsmouth is pretty upscale. It doesn't have any "bad parts." It does have a few areas with apartments though; patriots park, atlantic hieghts, the area between islington and middle. All together the people who live there don't cause to much trouble. I sometimes only get frustrated when they drive fast and rudely like their in some big city and put modifications on to their 1990 Honda. Yeah, not all of them are like that.. but I found quite a few in my experience.

The center for trouble lately has been the Cross Roads Homeless Shelter. They have been been charged with multiple misdeamors and thefts. Recently, there have been 7-8 fires unattended in the woods by PHS and it is suspected that Cross Roads may be involved. Another incident was a brawl that happened last month between the homeless in front of the shelter. There are plans to double the Cross Roads House to accomodate more homeless. I think they need to make some policy changes though before that can happen.

Although, I just gave a lot of negatives.. Portsmouth is undoubtably one of the best small cities and is a great place to raise a family.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:53 AM

My goal is to live nearest Boston I can--without the Boston prices or Mass. tax situation.
I am definitely straight, so Portsmouth would not be for me.
Is there a city that housing is cheap, it is safe and you think someone like me would like. No active retirement communities for me: I am still chasing boys and being wild and free.
Any city near train and public transportation to Boston, I would love...so long as it is not prohibitively expensive.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:51 PM

639 posts, read 3,527,348 times
Amesbury, MA lately has been pretty hip for a lot of singles all ages these days. Newburyport is extremely nice but out of my league, that's for sure! It's outrageously expensive and actually getting a little too snooty lately! There's a few condo developments in through Amesbury, MA. that I wouldn't mind living in one iota. One of them that I saw and really really seriously liked was at their Lake Gardner in town. It was SO nice and extremely reasonable I thought compared to some of the prices in southern NH any way!
I saw SO much character and charm in the houses and condo's through Amesbury, if that's what you're looking for, like Portsmouth & Newburyport only a little different. Tons of neat little shops and restaurants in their town now, more than ever before. Yes, it's in Mass. but it's close to southern NH for shopping and getting around and all that. In fact, once you got the hang of all our short cuts we use up through here? You'd really like it a lot I bet. You could also use the Newburyport, MA commuter rail to get yourself down to Boston or Salem, MA., or you could find the short cuts to get yourself to Haverhill's commuter rail from in through there.

In New Hampshire, the Exeter, Dover or Durham AMTRAK "downeaster" could bring you up to Portland, ME for a visit or down to Boston's North Station in no time, so you'd have different options of getting away.

The Andover, MA area is where I'm looking around lately, it's got the commuter rail for one thing that I really think is ideal. I know it's not along the coast, but you can get to it any way pretty well from the coast. I don't want to deal with commuting/driving from southern NH down through there every day, down the road to get to work. So I've been looking in through the Andover area. My family thinks I'm crazy, but that's one way we don't see eye to eye at all, they're more focused on their own needs and wants any way. They have to do what they have to do and I have to do what I have to do! I know I do NOT want Haverhill, Lowell or Lawrence at ALL, I wasn't impressed, others are, but I'm definitely not. I wouldn't mind Methuen where it's got great conveniences for my job, but I really really would absolutely like to get myself eventually down through the Andover, No. Andover or the Tewksbury, MA area. I saw quite a lot of really nice condo developments and houses that I wouldn't mind living in one bit through there. Also, getting down to Boston the way I go there all the time, would be so so much easier from that whole area rather than up through the seacoast where I am now. I'd actually be in heaven to tell you the truth! People that live there now have NO idea what they have, it's my dream for down the road.

If you instead, wanted to live a long the coast? Then there's two places that come to mine where I saw some great houses and condo/townhouses for sale and I'd definitely consider living through here. One of them was in Beverly, MA. It has the commuter rail right in to downtown Boston's North Station, it's ideal all around. So that town's on my A-list of places too, especially where it's a long the coast and yet it's still on the north shore and you can get to it from I-95 or 128, (*either way.) The closest ideal place to me from Boston that I would some day really would like to do my homework on, is Winthrop, MA. It's minutes from downtown Boston. The only only thing I don't like is that tunnel getting in to Boston! I do NOT do tunnels and do not trust "that one" one bit! I'd have to really seriously think about that big move!

If you really really wanted to stay right in southern NH's seacoast? Then as Valerie said to you, look through Exeter, Hampton Falls, Hampton, No. Hampton or Stratham, even Newfields or Kingston area. For instance, there's a few condo/townhouses for sale right this minute in the town of Hampton that you should check out on the realtor site. It's right over the border from Mass. if that's where you really would rather live. The property taxes are ridiculous though for singles, married people AND every one else in between! Think about it good.

I'll tell you...the part of NH that quite a large amount of singles live in, is Nashua. They have Pheasant Lane Mall and quite a lot of unique restaurants and shops all in through there, not to mention businesses for employment. Tons of apartment complexes and beautiful townhouse and condo developments all in through there. It's close to I-93 heading the other way from the seacoast for the Boston area. With me on the seacoast it's the other side of the state, that's what we say about that whole area "over that way"! They have towns like Londonderry, Derry, Salem and all that through there. I know a huge huge amount of singles live through there because there's also two fantastic Malls they have over "that way" and for a lot of them it's easier to get to their jobs from over by there. I myself wouldn't move through that area because of living in through the seacoast all these years. It's all in what you're used to I suppose. I just couldn't see moving over that way down the road. For one thing for me, it would be WAY too congested and WAY too much traffic, that's one thing I like about the seacoast, especially once you get the hang of all our short cuts!

That's why I have to really do my homework with this next big move. I have to make sure I'm doing the right thing and I WILL do my homework on it all good! I really like the idea of the Andover area on the north shore because from what I can see of it driving through there and working there? It's a little more rural than a lot of the other towns through there. That's what I want now and really like a lot and here I am a city girl at heart! A little rural type town mixed in with still being able to get to my beloved Boston when and if I want to and being able to get right back, in NO time! You know what I mean?
SO that's my two cents...
Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 10-20-2007, 06:21 PM

188 posts, read 989,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I am definitely straight, so Portsmouth would not be for me.
Woooooah... huh? Think again. Portsmouth is just like anywhere else. I've lived here for over a decade and can't recall any homosexuals. Portsmouth is definitly not a "gay town."

Old 10-21-2007, 10:57 AM

Wealthtrader, read posts above as to why the impression Portsmouth is for gay women. I am trying to find a guy as a companion, so this is important to me to be able to find one.
I DID look at the gay ratio on mod cut and it 146 out of the 100 average, which is few gays to me.
I am nowhere near there, and in the Midwest right now; but I am going to be going there when I am thru with my work here. I want to check out New Hampshire.
Mass. taxes are just too high for me, so I am concentrating on a N.H. city so close to Boston as possible that is safe and not too expensive to live.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 03:53 AM.. Reason: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Old 10-21-2007, 11:03 AM

N.H. seems to have falling real estate prices. Has anyone seen anything about when it hits bottom?
Also, since CityGirl52 was so kind in passing on good information, I will do homework on suggested cities. I want to stay in NH due to the lower taxes.
If there is a city that has lower property tax rates on condos and is not too far from Boston, please pass on the name or county area to me. I could use any information you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire