Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:39 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothra19 View Post
My husband works as a tankerman on an oil supply ship in the Gulf, his boss who lives in Woodstock is the Captain of his ship and an old family friend. They are gone for 3 weeks at a time, then home for 3 weeks. So really, we are able to live anywhere (very grateful!), but the thought of being close to his Captain is great because they have the same schedule and it makes commuting back and forth from Logan a little easier. He has a season pass for skiing, I believe

I think instead of buying out-right, we might try to find something to rent in Lincoln first. That way we can more easily explore the surrounding areas and check out any properties we see. Also to see if we even like it there. It will be tough I think, I've never lived away from my home & family...but I think it's worth trying out.
Oh well that explains a lot of things and the 70 dollar ski lift ticket too.

In this case just pick out a nice rental and take your time looking around.

Also before you DO Buy it is wise if you have the time to see the place in each of the 4 seasons.

The reason i say that is the house I moved into waaaaaaaaaay back in 81' was in late August.... I had to get moving to get fire wood ready for that winter, and that was rough... Of course most of it was wet wood not having time to become dry...

The place was a little rough around it's edges too, which most rural places tend to be. That year the frost went deeper than the town pipes, and the town was on gravity feed up west of the Bear notch..

Getting settled with a infant, working 3 jobs, something you don't need to do.

That first Spring a area in the yard all over grown was missed. and i had wanted a garden... I found there had been one a year later.... The snow melted off in a different way and then i saw it, under the over growth...

Up in Lancaster there is a place that sells used house parts.... Everything is OLD, seems like that is your style.... They have everything from strange wall mountings to bay windows......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 03:56 PM

497 posts, read 953,018 times
We came up in 2009. We too were in love with the woodstock area, and had looked ALL over NH for homes for about 6 years before we actually got serious. While the area is nice, there are no amenities like food stores, clothing, ect. unless you drive to Littleton, or south to????
I could not even tell ya where the closest hospital is to the area either.
We came to find after much research that the Mt. Wash valley/conways offered just about all we needed, and there is a hospitla that can handle all but the most critical stuff..... otherwise you are life-flighting to Portland General or Plymouth.

Look into this side of the Kanc......might change your perspective. We have some nice amenities, and still the isolation....if ya want it.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNHguy View Post
We came up in 2009. We too were in love with the woodstock area, and had looked ALL over NH for homes for about 6 years before we actually got serious. While the area is nice, there are no amenities like food stores, clothing, ect. unless you drive to Littleton, or south to????
I could not even tell ya where the closest hospital is to the area either.
We came to find after much research that the Mt. Wash valley/conways offered just about all we needed, and there is a hospitla that can handle all but the most critical stuff..... otherwise you are life-flighting to Portland General or Plymouth.

Look into this side of the Kanc......might change your perspective. We have some nice amenities, and still the isolation....if ya want it.
She would have shopping in Plymouth...... But i agree she should come 30 miles east to look for sure.

We have a lot more of everything from stores to bigger mountains, and more of them, with better access, and more ski resorts. Probably better schools too.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:55 AM

Definetely better schools mac.
We are, like you, about 10 miles out from Conway, about a 15 minute ride to Grocery, building supplies, ammo and other life staples.
10 miles is also great to keep the summer tourists far enough removed........Um, yea.

Our garden will be bigger next growing season, and I just might talk myself into heading back out deer hunting....something I gave up living in NJ almost 15 years ago.....too many hunters in too little wood.
Instead I turned to upland, and with my dogs, can pot enough birds in a day to feed well................yum.

But back to the area;
Pinkham Notch and south offfer much better real estate opportunities, and availability to supplies, as well as a hospital.

OP; takke time to come over the pass and check out some of the towns

Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Definetely better schools mac.
We are, like you, about 10 miles out from Conway, about a 15 minute ride to Grocery, building supplies, ammo and other life staples.
10 miles is also great to keep the summer tourists far enough removed........Um, yea.

Our garden will be bigger next growing season, and I just might talk myself into heading back out deer hunting....something I gave up living in NJ almost 15 years ago.....too many hunters in too little wood.
Instead I turned to upland, and with my dogs, can pot enough birds in a day to feed well................yum.

But back to the area;
Pinkham Notch and south offfer much better real estate opportunities, and availability to supplies, as well as a hospital.

OP; take time to come over the pass and check out some of the towns

My son is about to find out how good the schools are, but then he went to kennet. At my present age I am a tad out of touch as to schools and how they are...... My best guess is we need all new history/ civics , or what ever they are called these days teachers that teach about How the Government works.

Over in that other part of the forum for poly tickin', most of them have it all wrong and think of the Feds as Royals

I do have a Troy Built Jr Pony Tiller when the time comes.... I broke up the garden here last fall with it mostly. It will need a light going over in Spring of course but that would not even take a whole day. After that the thing sits idle.

I gave up deer too, and switched to grouse... I might go back to deer though, and it would be better if i had a partner. Well see..

Me, I am 14 miles to the east entrance of the Kanc... Just south of tamworth village. Any time you want closer in info just say .... Greg W was here once. He is still breathin' air on this side of the snow too

Old 02-02-2013, 10:46 AM

we'll meet one of these days......just not enough hours in 24 it seems....
I'm seeing ALOT of grouse in the woods behind me, but the town frowns on shootin within......course a .22 with some shorts would work, but that'd be a'breaking the law....

I'd rather bird hunt any day.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
we'll meet one of these days......just not enough hours in 24 it seems....
I'm seeing ALOT of grouse in the woods behind me, but the town frowns on shootin within......course a .22 with some shorts would work, but that'd be a'breaking the law....

I'd rather bird hunt any day.
I like the loop roads in Bartlett and up in the Ossipee's off Marble Rd or birds. You have me baffled on about your location. There must be a few roads in that area I don't know. I know how to get from Colemans pits area to Tasker Hill on the dirt roads, but there must be more. I sort of have you at the big hill/small mtn with a couple houses way up top.

I would think you could hunt any of that land so long as it isn't posted with a shot gun, and are legal distance from buildings, and of course be in season.

I bet we cross paths all the time and just don't know it....

Tomorrow i am taking a little hike into the Oliveairian Brook trail again... having hopes of a 4 mile hike in to the height of land and then 4 miles back out.

If my wife and i can do that in a timely fashion we can know from the height of land down that last 2 miles of 6 one way is doable in a day in winter.

I have high ambition to get back into lots of hiking again... This trail isn't much of a challenge to younger folks, being it is pretty flat. North to south. The other way we have done and that is a little steeper up south to north.

Maybe others will want to join us in Spring or Summer????? Someone had a thread on that but i don't recall the name.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:39 PM

Look @ google maps.
Find town line road and modock hill road in conway. I'm right in that vicinity. There's a hill behind me, about 1900ft, and there are ALOT of Grouse in there. I was under the assumption that you could not hunt in madison.
Modock looks as if it goes thru on the maps, but in reality it tuns to a footpath just beyond town line rd. where the road ends and the path starts is where me and my labs go explorin. [ssw direction from the intersection.]

Old 02-02-2013, 05:51 PM

I don't know for sure about hunting in Madison, but i used to hunt deer there, but down towards Rt 153 off to the right behind the Purity Springs Resort, and up on that ridge. before you do it would be wise to find out. I have the idea no towns get say.. So long as the land isn't posted, it is in season and bla bla no laws are broken.

I am not seeing local grouse in the door yard but turkey come by a lot. I have never hunted turkey.... I won't shoot grouse on the ground either.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 02-02-2013 at 06:02 PM..

Old 02-02-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Look @ google maps.
Find town line road and modock hill road in conway. I'm right in that vicinity. There's a hill behind me, about 1900ft, and there are ALOT of Grouse in there. I was under the assumption that you could not hunt in madison.
Modock looks as if it goes thru on the maps, but in reality it tuns to a footpath just beyond town line rd. where the road ends and the path starts is where me and my labs go explorin. [ssw direction from the intersection.]
That area is a place I had no idea had roads.

I'ld make sure, but i bet you can hunt land in there no problem. How did you come to the idea there is no hunting in Madison? it may be, but if it is i never heard of such a thing in a place like this.

I used to hunt deer in that town, and so far as i know it was legal. Hunted corn fields all along the Saco too, and in Barlett both sides of the river. Some places are not filled with building, Town Hall Rd off the Intervale in one, down towards the river side.

It's legal to hunt all over the National Forest too, but i would advise you avoid the main hiker trails. In season i see all sorts of trucks parked along the kanc and bear notch i can tell are deer hunters or bear hunters.

Anyway if you can't hunt in Madison I sure would want to know, and why not....... I used to hunt Rt 113 up above Redstone too, but you really need a map there as you could end up in Maine pretty easy and might not know it. That rd goes in and out of Maine a bunch of times. Good deer in there, and the Hurricane Mt Rd does too.

Used to hunt crystals in that area as well and over on the moats....

Maybe i hope this OT info is good for the OP.... Kids like rock hounding too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire