Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:22 PM

126 posts, read 239,189 times

Advertisements

Have a possible job relocating to the area. I am an insurance adjuster by trade who works from a home office doing field inspections. I am in the running for a job servicing Manchester and a 60 mile radius.

I'm completely open to feedback and suggestions. It's important to be near a major highway to get places. Our kids are 3 and 4 so school is important. The Catholic schools in NH are so affordable compared to where we are now.

We would like to be around the 200k range for a house. Low property taxes are important. I am handy and can make most repairs around the house. Small town, out in the country, we are pretty open.

I have looked at maps, but don't know how the highways flow so any info would help.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,204,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan in texas View Post
Have a possible job relocating to the area. I am an insurance adjuster by trade who works from a home office doing field inspections. I am in the running for a job servicing Manchester and a 60 mile radius.

I'm completely open to feedback and suggestions. It's important to be near a major highway to get places. Our kids are 3 and 4 so school is important. The Catholic schools in NH are so affordable compared to where we are now.

We would like to be around the 200k range for a house. Low property taxes are important. I am handy and can make most repairs around the house. Small town, out in the country, we are pretty open.

I have looked at maps, but don't know how the highways flow so any info would help.

Thanks in advance!
It depends on what you consider "low taxes." Most towns and cities near Manchester will have higher property tax rates so expect $5500 or higher in taxes on many properties that area assessed above $200K. You mentioned a 45 minute drive. I would look at Newbury, NH near interstate 89. It is around 45-50 minute drive to Manchester in good weather and about 30-35 minutes to Concord. Property taxes are more reasonable in Newbury and I can offer some suggestions for more affordable properties there.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 PM

126 posts, read 239,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It depends on what you consider "low taxes." Most towns and cities near Manchester will have higher property tax rates so expect $5500 or higher in taxes on many properties that area assessed above $200K. You mentioned a 45 minute drive. I would look at Newbury, NH near interstate 89. It is around 45-50 minute drive to Manchester in good weather and about 30-35 minutes to Concord. Property taxes are more reasonable in Newbury and I can offer some suggestions for more affordable properties there.

I guess by comparison by low taxes, I mean that a home in Pittsfield is taxed about twice the rate of Manchester or surrounding areas.

I have figured out the taxes vary, but appear to be lower if you live within the city limits of Manchester, Concord, etc where the tax burden is shared more than in a less populated area.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,204,927 times
Quote:
I guess by comparison by low taxes, I mean that a home in Pittsfield is taxed about twice the rate of Manchester or surrounding areas.

I have figured out the taxes vary, but appear to be lower if you live within the city limits of Manchester, Concord, etc where the tax burden is shared more than in a less populated area.
Lots of variables come into play. Manchester has a lower tax rate than Concord and differences in taxes are highly dependent on what properties are assessed at. Penacook, the village included within the Concord land area, has a higher tax rate than the city. If you're looking for properties on a bit more land closer to Manchester I would recommend Auburn. Easy access to all amenities and a nice lake.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,982,151 times
I'm in Greenville, and I can get to Manchester in about 45 min. so can Wilton, Amherst, Milford, sometimes New Ipswich(depending how you drive. One resident said he does, but I'm not sure I would!), Bedford & Hollis are even closer. But.. I wouldn't say any of these have 'low' taxes - not if you're looking for under around $20/thousand.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:40 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,101,204 times
Quote:

it all evens out in the end - a home in Pittsfield is half the cost of homes near Manchester

Old 02-07-2013, 06:42 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,101,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Lots of variables come into play. Manchester has a lower tax rate than Concord and differences in taxes are highly dependent on what properties are assessed at. Penacook, the village included within the Concord land area, has a higher tax rate than the city. If you're looking for properties on a bit more land closer to Manchester I would recommend Auburn. Easy access to all amenities and a nice lake.
a nice lake that does not allow swimming or wading nor any contact with humans

nor does it have a high school - students are transported to Manchester or Derry

someday they might have a high school, but it will probably take another quarter century...

Old 02-07-2013, 06:59 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,824,521 times
On this side of the river, the nicer towns for families are Bedford, Amherst and Hollis. $200k is on the lower end of the price range... Catholic schools may be less expensive here but they do cost and you'll be paying real estate taxes, most of which goes to the schools in your town. My wife and I both went to Catholic schools, but we sent our kids to the Amherst schools. Worked out very well for us...

Old 02-07-2013, 06:59 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,392,553 times
I prefer to best east of 93.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:18 AM

47,835 posts, read 21,870,215 times
NH doesnt have a state income tax or sales tax so it doesnt have much state aid for local schools. That is why property taxes in the towns are high.....the quality of the schools is frequently a function of the tax rate of the town. If the town is primarily residential without a commercial or industrial zone for taxes....the tax rate will be higher than a town that does.

When I lived in NH they were trying to figure out some way to equalize the education system across the state...."donor towns" that contributed to a state education fund. I dont know how far that went. .... There are lots of nice towns off Rt 93....north south transport is pretty good. Rt 89 also makes east west travel pretty good too. Southern NH is well served by routes and they are well maintained in winter.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire