Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 06:33 PM

646 posts, read 1,641,940 times

Advertisements

We just got word that we are moving to Portsmouth, NH in June.

Where is a good place to live for a Family? What are the bad areas to stay away from?

Are there any schools that are highly recommended?

I am looking for any info on the area, as we have never lived there.

Thanks in Advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 07:51 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
There are not really any bad areas in NH.. Where there are it is because people from away bring it here with them.

Don't bring anything bad to NH. My son has a son and he has a son. I am too far removed from what people call schools nowa days to say....

Sometimes to me 45 years olds on CD seem as if they either never went to schools or schools stopped teaching much of anything at all.

That area is expensive, but now everywhere is. Live Free or Die doesn't mean live for free.. Not knocking you, but then people from away seem to think this is so.

NH never got any of the free Bill Clinton money either. We don't care but it confuses people from 'away'.

You just missed one little snow storm which would be about 2.5 deep in Portsmouth. I was near that city yesterday.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:32 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
I can recommend Dover. My daughter lives and teaches there. It is a very nice community and only about 10 to 15 minute drive from Portsmouth and the Rye Beach area.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:52 PM

4 posts, read 3,143 times
Welcome to NH! Portsmouth is one of the safest places I've lived in. I moved here in 2008 and this is where I settled. Rye school district is pretty good from what I heard. Cost of living in Portsmouth is a bit high compared to other places but cheaper than Boston. You will also find that there aren't many apartment complexes here. Dover is about 15-20 minutes away but the rent is cheaper.
Below are the list of towns you can find places to live that are pretty safe and are closer to portsmouth.
New Castle, Rye, North Hampton, Hampton, Greenland, Stratham, Exeter, Dover. I'd stay away from Newington (at least by the fox Run mall area) as it can be shady (just drug deals, no major crime). Also stay away from Winchester Place apartments on Ledgewood Dr in Portsmouth. The rent is amazingly cheap and there is a reason why!

Old 03-01-2013, 02:12 PM

25 posts, read 44,037 times
Default Porstmouth

I had visited there last fall and I was amazed at how much activity there was downtown!
There was plenty of shopping available in the area (you can cross over into Maine and there is an outlet mall there as well) - where I visited I would say that every where is 'nice and safe'.
Dover I have heard is also a nice place to live - You are close to the beaches in Rye & Hampton - (when you are there, you forget that you are in New Hampshire!).
I am seriously considering a move into Portsmouth as well. Maybe we will meet sometime
Ernest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire