Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 PM

24 posts, read 49,201 times

Advertisements

The more I hear about sequestation, the less I like it.

How might sequestration affect NH? I'm interested in hearing from the board.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:43 PM

123 posts, read 247,690 times
It will allow the media to blame republicans for something that Obama came up with and once again, failed miserably.

Own it. Just like the rest of the mess ..... oh, that Bush's fault.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,155 times
how sequestration might affect NH?

Not nearly enough. We need to slash the entitlements, welfare programs and all the other handouts by 50 or 75 percent. I'm so tired of being raped of my meager earnings for services I don't want, don't use and will never use. Raising taxes won't help anything. Making DEEP budget cuts will.

No self respecting Northern New Englander would put their hand out for something they didn't earn. If we can't build it, grow it, find it, fix it or barter for it than we don't need it.

If you're able bodied and you've got your hand out then get out of my great state. Please.

JMHO

Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
how sequestration might affect NH?

Not nearly enough. We need to slash the entitlements, welfare programs and all the other handouts by 50 or 75 percent. I'm so tired of being raped of my meager earnings for services I don't want, don't use and will never use. Raising taxes won't help anything. Making DEEP budget cuts will.

No self respecting Northern New Englander would put their hand out for something they didn't earn. If we can't build it, grow it, find it, fix it or barter for it than we don't need it.

If you're able bodied and you've got your hand out then get out of my great state. Please.

JMHO
Bingo...

If you're worried about it you're part of the problem.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:47 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Martia View Post
It will allow the media to blame republicans for something that Obama came up with and once again, failed miserably.

Own it. Just like the rest of the mess ..... oh, that Bush's fault.
Oh, this is not just Obama's mess. Congress agreed to it, both parties. I hold the Executive Branch as well as all of Congress responsible, no matter what party. It was supposed to be so unpalatable to everyone that it would force a deal. Well, we overestimated the ineptitude of our gov.

How will it affect NH? I thought I heard on the radio that BAE was laying off a couple hundred in NH - not sure if it was related to sequestration or not. There is bound to be trickle-down effect on defense contractors as many military programs are being deferred or slowed down.

Almost all DoD civilians will be subject to a furlough starting in April and going on through September. They will be forced to take the day off without pay one day per week. So essentially a 20% pay cut from now to the end of the fiscal year. This will be felt in the local economy, especially in the Seacoast near the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. Shipyard employees will be cutting back on their discretionary spending while this is going on.

A terrible way to slow spending. I am disgusted that it came to this. Seeing some of the bloat of the DoD myself, there are much better ways to cut defense spending than across-the-board, one size fits all cuts. The cuts leave little flexibility to the DoD, and that makes them more painful.

The impact to NH won't be as bad as it will be on heavily military-dependent states like OK or TX.

Last edited by steveusaf; 03-06-2013 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: forgot to add a word

Old 03-06-2013, 03:33 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,849 times
How will the sequester ( which is not spending cuts but rather cuts to expected spending INCREASES ) affect NH.... mmmm I guess that depends on how much unnecessary pain this joker in the white house wished to inflict while giving money are weapons to his friends it the Muslim Brotherhood.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:07 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
How will the sequester ( which is not spending cuts but rather cuts to expected spending INCREASES ) affect NH.... mmmm I guess that depends on how much unnecessary pain this joker in the white house wished to inflict while giving money are weapons to his friends it the Muslim Brotherhood.
How much money is given to the muslim brotherhood?

Old 03-06-2013, 05:02 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
Bingo...

If you're worried about it you're part of the problem.
Hardly... sequester isn't really impacting entitlement programs much or addressing our largest long term cost (medicare, and at a distant second- social security). It will have some good impacts by forcing a re-examination of certain spending...but in reality a lot of the "waste" that is congressionally mandated is off the table for cuts so even then there isn't a lot of efficiency to be gained from this.

What I'm seeing is that most "good" federal employees are now looking to leave because the money is no longer worthwhile (an engineer, scientist, etc with the gov makes about 20-30% less than their private sector counterpart to begin with...but the "mission" used to mean something as did doing cutting edge research work)...and we'll be left with those who couldn't find something better. This is especially an issue with younger folks...

It's another great job by BOTH parties at ignoring the real problem and punting for a future Congress/President to worry about... A friggin joke of you ask me. Lets make easy decisions we can then use for blame and political posturing rather than real decisions that might help America.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:04 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,396 times
Under Bush our national debt increased 4 trillion in eight years.

It's already gone up six trillion under Obama and likely to be another six trillion if not more by the time he leaves office.

99% of politicians, regardless of party affiliation, do not give a damn about this country.

Washington DC is where you go to sell your soul to the highest bidder.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:52 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
I still have family that are getting caught in the furloughs. What I'm hearing is: furloughed 1 day a week for 22 weeks (that's a big cut in pay) but still being taxed at full salary amount. that's not cutting potential increases into smaller increases, their pay has been frozen for years; that's cut into mortgage payments. They're already getting paid less than in private sector and now this. DH retired just in time, but he wants to get a job (gotta pay for medical bills) and was looking at BAE... but they're laying off, probably not a good time to try to get hired.

I heard a sound bite that Ayotte was slamming both sides for allowing this to happen and telling them to get on the stick and fix things. In general, how is she? (see mods? NH referencing in the politics! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire