Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 01:21 AM

3 posts, read 3,156 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been wanting to relocate to New Hampshire for the longest time now. In fact it is all we can talk and dream about. We are from New York City, and we cannot wait to leave. But unfortunately we cannot leave until we can find jobs out there first. I have been applying to what I can find but so far, no luck.

I am billing coordinator, Accounts payable and receivables, I have no degree but I am great at what I do. My husband is snack distributor. I guess our choices are very limited, can anyone tell me where in NH is the best place to look for job opportunities and the best place to live. NH is beautiful everywhere, but we are looking to live modestly and starting over somewhere new, we would need to keep expenses as low as possible.
New York City is unique and beautiful with diversities and mixing of culture, after all I am asian american and my husband is latin american, however we would love nothing better than to leave this city. This city is great for the uber rich, not for the middle working class folks like us. I will keep applying in the meantime, however I would love some feedback about the job opportunities and places that is best to call home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 PM

571 posts, read 1,318,438 times
I'm sure you've found that employment applications don't care that you know the work, rather that you have a degree. (a situation I find myself in after 38 years with a company) However, the on-line resources are pretty good and should give you an idea of the opportunities.
It might be tough for your husband to get a route for snack deliveries but there may be similar types of driving jobs around.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:08 PM

@yinduffy...
Thank you for the feedback. I am sorry to hear about your situation and I hope that you have found something since then.
It is harsh times we live in. I will continue to look into the online resources and keep applying. I wish all the best and I hope someday I can write as a resident of New Hampshire :-)
Best wishes!

Old 03-19-2013, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,841 times
I live in the North Conway (Mt Washington Valley) area. The local paper is the Conway Daily Sun and you can find jobs through them. You can access them online to view their classifieds and/or subscribe to the paper Moderator cut: link removed, please read our tos. Many people in the area work without degrees, I worked at Brauel & Brauel CPAS doing bookkeeping and payroll administration for our clients. It's a beautiful area, you can find a home as far south as Tamworth to North of the Valley in areas like Bartlett and still have a minimal commute. Bartlett/Intervale area has lower taxes if you are looking to buy. Rentals in the area are more difficult to come by, and I would suggest working with both a realtor and the classified in the local paper to find one in advance. There are many, many restaurants in the Valley and in return there are many food vendors such as Sysco, as well as some local vendors like North Country Wholesale (find them on facebook). I would suggest doing a google search to find businesses in the area that you could forward a resume to if you have bookkeeping skills (including Quickbooks) as that is a sought after skill here! The pay scale however in the valley is not high.

Last edited by Yac; 03-20-2013 at 04:42 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 AM

@kprittie
Thank you so much! I will definitely be looking into that. Fingers crossed that I find something soon. I will also look into the areas you mentioned for homes. Even if I find a little hole in the wall for the time being, I am ok with that. Starting over is scary but sometimes you have to do it before time passes by and you wonder with regret why you didn't when you had the chance. Again thank you so much for the information...I appreciate it more than words can ever express.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire