Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 06:33 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times

Advertisements

I've always been intrigued with New Hampshire, a very beautiful state. I've driven through the state, but I don't know that much about the various larger cities or areas of the state (Manchester, Nashua, Portsmouth, Laconia, etc). How has NH fared in the recession? Are there interesting downtowns in some of these cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 06:10 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Hanover

Old 04-01-2013, 08:13 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Hanover
Time to puke. Bedford or Windham. Do the simple math...
Though I don't care, as all I have is servers then in a house I virtually never visit.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Time to puke. Bedford or Windham. Do the simple math...
Though I don't care, as all I have is servers then in a house I virtually never visit.

Thanks for the input! I also love Bedford and Windham since I kept a horse in Bedford for many years. I lived a mojority of my life in Londonderry and my mom and sister are still there as well as two horses

Old 04-03-2013, 07:41 AM

571 posts, read 1,317,731 times
One thing that I know for sure is that although NH is not a large State compared to others, the towns each have their own distinct personalities. Very distinct!
You may have to spend some time here to find what area suits your personality.
In general though, crime is very low relative to the rest of the country or even neighboring Massachusetts. A prescription drug raid makes the papers here in Nashua two or three times a year but that seems to be the extent of the trouble.
The College towns are worlds unto themselves and very different from the smaller, more rural towns.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
3). I live over 8,000 miles from you, so I really don't care about the WT in NH.
Here's a thought: if you live 8,000 miles away from NH, then why not back off with your insults and negativity?

Old 04-03-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
One thing that I know for sure is that although NH is not a large State compared to others, the towns each have their own distinct personalities. Very distinct!
You may have to spend some time here to find what area suits your personality.
In general though, crime is very low relative to the rest of the country or even neighboring Massachusetts. A prescription drug raid makes the papers here in Nashua two or three times a year but that seems to be the extent of the trouble.
The College towns are worlds unto themselves and very different from the smaller, more rural towns.
Thank you for your helpful comments. I may travel to the state this summer on a trip to NE. What cities/towns are your favorites?

Old 04-03-2013, 06:44 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I've always been intrigued with New Hampshire, a very beautiful state. I've driven through the state, but I don't know that much about the various larger cities or areas of the state (Manchester, Nashua, Portsmouth, Laconia, etc). How has NH fared in the recession? Are there interesting downtowns in some of these cities?
I liked YinDuffy's response to your question--very accurate! The larger 'cities' of New Hampshire would be considered towns by many from out of state. People here talk about Nashua and Manchester as though they are comparable to Detroit or East St. Louis, when in actuality, there are a couple of streets where you need to use caution after dark. Downtown Portsmouth is fun with lots of restaurants, brew pubs, land little shops to wander through. I'm not familiar with downtown Laconia, have only driven through, never stopped). Another interesting (though smaller) downtown is Exeter.

Hope you make it to NH this summer! Let us know as your possible trip gets closer, as there are week-long and weekend-long festivals and events across the state that many of would like to tell you about

Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I may travel to the state this summer on a trip to NE. What cities/towns are your favorites?
visiting is the best thing to do! as to what cities/towns... all depends on what you like to do! some are lovely to drive through just to enjoy the houses and farms, others have some activities, most towns people just live in but don't really work in (bedroom towns) so there isn't much to see other than houses, a library, maybe schools and that's about it. are you looking for lake country? mountains? history?

Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 PM

8 posts, read 9,248 times
Yinduffy and Valerie C have it right, I moved to Manchester last July (thanks to help from Valerie C!) and it is a very tame "city" in my eyes. A few places to avoid but my wife and I have felt very safe in everything we have done so far. Both Manchester and Portsmouth have some really cool places to visit, restaurants, bars/pubs, and almost everyone I have met has been real nice. You won't be bored if you come for a visit thats for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire