Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,444 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to a small village in NH and would like to fit in. I've started volunteering when time allows and I try very hard to be friendly to any locals I come across. I'm not judgmental about things. I give a yes I like it type reply when they ask what I think of things.

I really do like it here!

I know it takes YEARS to get accepted in New England, and the only new friend I have made so far is someone from out of the area --but living here for years.

Are there some ways of being accepted into the local community?

Due to my accent, I am immediately pegged as an outsider.

I wonder if this will limit my chances at finding work, as well.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 01:36 PM

62 posts, read 142,339 times
Make sure you meet people that shares your interests, that's the fastest way to find friends. Join a club, etc.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:30 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Well, it's a universal problem to fit in anywhere new, let alone in a small New England village. Don't know the town you're in, but it might makes sense to hang out in a bigger town in your area for nightlife.

A lot of small NH towns are often populated by extended family & friends.....such a situation makes if difficult to get a foothold in these places. Good luck

Old 04-21-2013, 05:42 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondRound! View Post

I know it takes YEARS to get accepted in New England, and the only new friend I have made so far is someone from out of the area --but living here for years.

Your accent? Where are you from?

How do you feel about hunting? One surefire way to get in good with the locals is to find some of the guys that have lived in town the longest and see if you can accompany them their next snipe hunting trip. In fact the next time you see a hunter or what looks like a good ole boy at the town hall or hardware store you should probably introduce yourself and inqure about snipe hunting.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Just be yourself and don't "try to fit in". Most New Hampshire residents don’t "fit in". That is one of the joys of this place. Figure out what you like to do and find a group that is doing that. Also do not be shy about an accent. Wait until you try and figure out what an old time Yankee from the North Country is saying.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:51 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post

How do you feel about hunting? One surefire way to get in good with the locals is to find some of the guys that have lived in town the longest and see if you can accompany them their next snipe hunting trip. In fact the next time you see a hunter or what looks like a good ole boy at the town hall or hardware store you should probably introduce yourself and inqure about snipe hunting.
You do realize that snipe hunting is a real sport and is actually hunted here in NH. They are little birds that kind of look like a woodcock. I mostly see them in wetlands and swampy areas.

I'm not really sure why anyone would want to hunt them as they're pretty small and hardly worth the effort. Though they are tasty little critters.

As we get closer to planting our gardens, I'll be concentrating on Woodchucks. Much bigger and just as good eatin'. Oh and turkey too. The youth turkey hunt is next weekend followed by the spring gobbler season the week after that. I'm counting on at least a couple of my kids to bag a fat tom.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:18 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
First off visit and write letter to town selectmen and volunteer for any town committees.

Join as many local civic organizations as possible such as the local Lions Club.

Join and become an active member of your choice of a local religious facility.

Volunteer at the local hospital.

Join the local snowmobile club. Snowmobiles are very big in NH. And active.

All depends on available time.

You do all or some of the above and you will have more friends then you know what to do with.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:16 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
If you have a religous affiliation most churches have clubs you can join and great social activities. Also consider taking an adult ed course at the local or regional high school in a subject that interestes you such as photography, computers, a new language etc. Even if you don't make friends you will learn something.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:15 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
You do realize that snipe hunting is a real sport and is actually hunted here in NH. They are little birds that kind of look like a woodcock. I mostly see them in wetlands and swampy areas.

I'm not really sure why anyone would want to hunt them as they're pretty small and hardly worth the effort. Though they are tasty little critters.
Not where my hubby (a dixie boy) comes from. "Snipes" are totally fallacious, like Santa Claus. Southern grandpas get their giggles by telling their little grandsons to watch out for snipesnd then pretend to have seen one that the little guy just missed.

In essence, DD was trying to get SecondRound to make a fool of himself/herself.

Take a look at what your hobbies are: sports, pets, civic work and then ask what there is you can do to help. Be a little careful as small towns can have factions so I would not get over-involved. My advice is not to get TOO friendly, you may have to backtrack when you find out someone is a bit more of a "friend" than you can handle. Maybe that is the reserved New Englander talking.

Try to dress the part. Most of us up here dress like we just rolled out of a Goodwill box, becuase there is so much dust, salt, mud and filth that would ruin good clothing. Get yourself a pair of waffle stompers, put on some grubby jeans, stained t-shirt (preferably camo print) and a baseball cap from a local business or any of the Boston sports teams (Bruins, Patriots, Red Sox or Celtics) are also good.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:06 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Not where my hubby (a dixie boy) comes from. "Snipes" are totally fallacious, like Santa Claus. Southern grandpas get their giggles by telling their little grandsons to watch out for snipesnd then pretend to have seen one that the little guy just missed.

In essence, DD was trying to get SecondRound to make a fool of himself/herself.

Take a look at what your hobbies are: sports, pets, civic work and then ask what there is you can do to help. Be a little careful as small towns can have factions so I would not get over-involved. My advice is not to get TOO friendly, you may have to backtrack when you find out someone is a bit more of a "friend" than you can handle. Maybe that is the reserved New Englander talking.

Try to dress the part. Most of us up here dress like we just rolled out of a Goodwill box, becuase there is so much dust, salt, mud and filth that would ruin good clothing. Get yourself a pair of waffle stompers, put on some grubby jeans, stained t-shirt (preferably camo print) and a baseball cap from a local business or any of the Boston sports teams (Bruins, Patriots, Red Sox or Celtics) are also good.

Or try to not dress like everybody else I usually dress up quite a bit and that is a great conversation starter! People ask me for clothing advice and everybody seems to remember my name no matter where I am. I meet so many nice people that it is amazing, of course, the most important thing to wear is a smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire