Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 06:04 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Yep exactly, the same way you guys call lakes beaches. "Going to the beach today down at lake ...." Yeah okay... Talk about the lightbulb burning out.
OK so what do you call it if it has a gentle slope and is sandy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 06:09 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
OK so what do you call it if it has a gentle slope and is sandy?
If its not part of the ocean it's not a beach... It's a lake.. You don't go swimming in Beach Michigan.. You go swimming Lake Michigan. Big difference.

Where I get this stuff? My entire family lived in NH, MA, RI, ME etc. they all post they're going to the beach and proceed to go to a lake... It's well known lakers called beaches up there

Old 05-31-2013, 06:39 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemidancer View Post
This thread caught my eye because I currently live in SW Florida and absolutely adore it down here, but I lived 26 years in the Boston area and another 18 years in Southern NH. After reading the posts in this thread, I would like to clear up a few things that are completely absurd:

a) Cars in NH don't come with AC - that is the silliest thing I've ever heard. NH car dealers get their cars from the same place as car dealers in every other state - I don't know what kind of rinky-dink car dealer the poster was dealing with, but I bought a half a dozen cars in the 18 years I lived in NH and every single one of them had AC.

b) 8 months of the year are bitter cold, snowy and dreary - again - absurd. Sure, we can get some killer winters up there (one of the reasons I no longer live there as a matter of fact) but 8 months?? C'mon - we're not talking about Alaska here.

c) Heating costs of $400 a month - sure, if you live in a barn. I lived in a 3BR 2000sf house and yes, in Jan and Feb I could expect to pay about $500/month for propane, but it dropped down to about $75-100/month for the other 10 months.

d) Electric bills of $175 a month for a 700sf apartment - ludicrous. The same house I just mentioned used to run me about $100/month with 2 teenagers.

e) Houses don't come with washers and dryers, or even dishwashers. Again - if you live in a barn. Even if a house does not come with a washer and a dryer, there are hookups. We're not a bunch of filthy hillbillies running around in dirty clothes, for crying out loud. (and by the way, the house I am renting in FL did not come with a washer and dryer - I had to purchase them myself)

I no longer live in NH, but it is without question one of best places I've ever lived. I raised my kids there. I never locked my car doors or even my house. I was within 45 minutes of the mountains, the lakes, the ocean and Boston. Winters can be tough, and if you don't care for cold, snowy weather then you should definitely go up there in Feb for a week or two to get a feel for it, but if you do like winter sports and don't mind a bit of shoveling, there aren't too many places you will find that are better than the Granite State.
Finally, some sense. Thank you.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:51 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
A large sandy area on a body of water, maybe with some picnic tables, a boat launch and a snack shack is a beach. It doesn't matter if the water is ocean or fresh.
Wiers beach is a beach
Silver Lake beach is a beach
Amherst town beach is a beach
If not, what are they?

XD - So, some people don't know what a beach is.

Most lakes, rivers, ponds, and sometimes even the ocean have beaches. Some of the best beaches are in the midwest. Point Beach State Forest has six miles of shoreline on Lake Michigan. Oak St. Beach in Chicago is beautiful.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
These sandy beaches on lakes are part of sandy beaches from eons ago and were salt when Fla didn't exist. In the town of Albany that salt water beach is about 12 feet down.

But sweetbottoms is right, NH is a wicked cold, nasty bug ridden place to be.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:17 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
Quote:
If its not part of the ocean it's not a beach... It's a lake.. You don't go swimming in Beach Michigan.. You go swimming Lake Michigan. Big difference.

Where I get this stuff? My entire family lived in NH, MA, RI, ME etc. they all post they're going to the beach and proceed to go to a lake... It's well known lakers called beaches up there
No the body of water is a lake. A lake where you can go swimming, kayaking, canoeing, fishing, boating etc. The part where it joins land can be a beach of it is sandy. I wouldn't call it a beach of it were jagged rocks, or cliffs, but a beach is a beach is a beach.

Can you put a towel there and lie on it? Beach.

Is the slope to the water gentle enough that you and / or little kids can wade in gradually? Beach.

Does it have sharp corals that jab you and force you to wear shoes? Not beach, even if it is salt water like in parts of Hawaii.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:00 PM

278 posts, read 655,907 times
I guess encyclopedias and dictionaries have it wrong too?

Quote:
A beach is a narrow, gently sloping strip of land that lies along the edge of an ocean, lake, or river. Materials such as sand, pebbles, rocks, and seashell fragments cover beaches.
beach - National Geographic Education

Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 PM

Another reason the quality of life is better in NH than FL is the level of education.

Quote:
State Education Rankings: Florida Graduation Rates

Less than 9th Grade: 5.7% (Ranking 20)
Failed to Graduate High School: 15.1% (Ranking 19)
High School Graduate or Higher: 84.9% (Ranking 33)
Associate's Degree or Higher: 34.1% (Ranking 27)
Bachelor's Degree or Higher: 25.7% (Ranking 27)
Graduate/Professional Degree: 9% (Ranking 26)
Quote:
State Education Rankings: New Hampshire Graduation Rates

Less than 9th Grade: 3.1% (Ranking 49)
Failed to Graduate High School: 9.6% (Ranking 46)
High School Graduate or Higher: 90.4% (Ranking 5)
Associate's Degree or Higher: 41.7% (Ranking 4)
Bachelor's Degree or Higher: 32.5% (Ranking 8)
Graduate/Professional Degree: 11.6% (Ranking 9)
State Education Rankings: Graduation Rates for High School, College, and Grad/Professional School - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 05-31-2013, 08:40 PM

686 posts, read 1,767,208 times
Quote:
No matter how you slice it, you are wrong in believing that a beach requires an ocean. For example, the Cayman Islands are completely in the Caribbean *Sea*, but surely you agree they have beaches there.

Quote:
It is indeed possible, in fact happens quite often, for people to say they are going to a beach and then swim in the body of water associated with the beach. For example, people in Sydney, Australia say they are going to Bondi Beach, and when they are there, they swim in the Tasman Sea. By your logic, Sydneysiders should say they are going to Tasman Sea, and somehow avoid everything else along the way.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:48 PM

If one is in a watercraft on a river, lake, or ocean they beach their craft when going ashore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire