Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 12:38 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
OP - What Manchester are you talking about? I visit the west side fairly often and have not noticed these problems. Yeah, there are a lot of three deck houses but most are fairly well kept and the streets reasonably clean. The streets are falling apart but that is not limited to the city. You should try riding a motorcycle on some of our rural highways. I have been in Manchester’s slums and they are pretty decent compared to other places I have had the misfortune to visit.

I believe the problem is lack of work for warm bodies. The simple jobs available, stocking shelves at Target for example, are few and do not pay very well. Industrial work like this has disappeared with the textile industry. The work that is available in places like DEKA require significant skill and are also few and far between.

For instance a friend of mine interviewed for the position of Facilities Manager for a very high tech machine shop in Newport. He would have been responsible for several millions of dollars worth of machinery and the building they were in. These fools offered him about 50 grand for a 150 grand position. He politely declined. There is a streak of cheapness in NH industry that continues to want specialty work for janitor’s pay.
Walk through the central east side neighborhoods adjacent to Maple St. around the Lake ave and Merrimack st. areas and then come back and tell me those areas are not a problem to Manchester.I think the landlords need some accountability for this problem too.
The reasons are much more complex than a "lack of jobs for warm bodies"

Old 05-18-2013, 12:56 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Geez, Dave. Well said.

I haven't seen a real city that doesn't have these problems. Singling out Manchester isn't really fair. City living involves this type of thing, although I agree there's things we can do to help without it being a handout.
Thanks for overstating the obvious but maybe the saying "think globally act locally" has some merit here.Because if you live in a ghetto and are not vigilant you will become like them after a while.This could be be said for many situations of life.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:06 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Walk through the central east side neighborhoods adjacent to Maple St. around the Lake ave and Merrimack st. areas and then come back and tell me those areas are not a problem to Manchester.I think the landlords need some accountability for this problem too.
The reasons are much more complex than a "lack of jobs for warm bodies"

I had a kid stick a shovel in my throat repeatedly. in the first floor hall way of a building on lower central street.. I also had one threaten me with a broken bottle in a concrete and grass yard on Cedar street..know what? Both of those incidents occurred over forty years ago.. in other word.. There is no new thing to tell about the area. The reasons are not complex at all.. train up a child in the way he should go.. our cities current adults were yesterdays youth.. and as long as we keep training them the way we have been we will keep getting the results we have

Old 05-21-2013, 11:26 AM

259 posts, read 601,687 times
The section of Manchester we live in is very nice. If the city has these problems, they're not evident to me, although I have to admit there are parts of the city I'm not familiar with, since we haven't lived here long. But if you want to see a depressing city full of poverty and people who've given up caring about their property, visit Pueblo, CO, where I've been staying taking care of my ill parents. You'll think Manchester is heaven after a visit to Pueblo, believe me!

Old 05-21-2013, 11:59 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Here's an easy Solution to the problem , restore Rail service to Concord...that will attract Hipsters , Yuppies and more Middle Class to your Urban Areas thus flushing out the Garbage to the Rural areas...

Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Here's an easy Solution to the problem , restore Rail service to Concord...that will attract Hipsters , Yuppies and more Middle Class to your Urban Areas thus flushing out the Garbage to the Rural areas...
No it won't out in rural areas you work or you starve, if you won't do either you get shot. We don't need any stinking trains....

Old 05-22-2013, 02:21 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
No it won't out in rural areas you work or you starve, if you won't do either you get shot. We don't need any stinking trains....
Oh please , the Rural areas are the biggest welfare users in the Northeastern US....where the Suburbs and the Cities Support the Rural areas... You're Getting the Train whether you like it or not , Deal with it...

Old 05-22-2013, 05:13 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Quote:
Oh please , the Rural areas are the biggest welfare users in the Northeastern US....where the Suburbs and the Cities Support the Rural areas... You're Getting the Train whether you like it or not , Deal with it...

That is true. I used to work in a pharmacy and when I moved up to northern NH I was shocked as to how much welfare everybody was on. A lot of the locals are to fat to move around and hunt there own food.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:01 PM

68 posts, read 88,981 times
I will say I was in Manchester last week and I saw one of these big lugs, wannabe deadbeats, passing me on the sidewalk. The key word is "wannabe". He was trying to act like a thug, but the sidewalks were perfectly clean, there wasn't any other indication of danger. It looked like Disneyland compared to what I've seen in Columbus and Chicago.

The point being, the "ghetto" nature of the place appears to be in early stages--best to nip it in the bud now.

Last edited by josephkonrad; 05-22-2013 at 12:42 PM..

Old 05-22-2013, 02:43 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,811 times
Quote:
Are you like the "train troll" or something? Never thought this thread would turn into anything related to trains!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire