Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 AM

489 posts, read 963,937 times

Advertisements

Thanks Greg. Are these day trips from our home in Sunapee, or should we plan for overnight at a hotel?

-Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Easily day trips. From Sunapee I expect the round trip would take no more then six hours driving plus time for scenery stops and food.

From Sunapee take Rt 11 to Rt 4 N to Rt 104 E to I-93 N to Lincoln. Then get on the loop in either direction.

I suggest the DelOrme Road Atlas of NH or one of their computer GIS Databases for more information.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:02 AM

Wow Greg, that is some great info. Thank you. I'll get with the wife and plan one of these out. I have a feeling there is so much more to this state than I have seen in the 18 months we have lived here.

-Mike

Old 05-21-2013, 11:23 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,385 times
wow for someone like me who lived in NH for 35+ years you make me miss the state more. AWESOME information, and many of these trails I have never done. Obviously seen the basin (gorgeous every time) and been on the Kanc many times as well. I wish there was a way to "favorite" this post to remind myself of where to find it the next time I return home! Mods - is this a feature we can add?

Old 05-21-2013, 04:40 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
Wow Greg, that is some great info. Thank you. I'll get with the wife and plan one of these out. I have a feeling there is so much more to this state than I have seen in the 18 months we have lived here.

-Mike
Do you car camp? Camp out at all ? The kanc ( the kancamagus highway ) google that and select images, is my back yard. Don't worry I share all of it In the kanc are car camps where it is first come first served and us wicked busy on weekends.

If you can hike 1/4 mile into the woods you will pass a trail sign that says you can camp anywhere you like for free so long as you are 200 feet back from the trail and the same from running water.

I am pretty young at just 61 and my wife is only 50. Yeah I robbed the cradle, but we go camping year round.
I should warn you that the outdoors is habit forming.

People do quests like hit every mt 4,000 ft, or hunt down covered bridges, other hit every common man eatery and grab a beer, maybe a waitress In NH there is no day someone isn't camping out in my Mt's.

There are lots of roads no one mentioned to see. Some maps are in order. AMC maps, and kanc are good for starters, then lesser but nice places are Maps for the Sandwich Range and more.

I hunt old train beds, logging camps, cellar holes and of course Mt peaks. Or you could fish for a life time, and it wouldn't be a wasted life.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:43 PM

But please becarefull for moose. They come into towns.
This was killed last Saturday by tourists that just don't get a moose can be anywhere around.

Bears too... Last night I had one in my fresh tilled garden out back. The tracks are 6 foot stride and 4 inches deep. These animals are common even if a tourist doesn't see them often. On a day i decide to see some i surely will.

So far in a 10 hour ride I have seen something like 16 moose, 4 brears, a moose with a buck deer in the same power line, several foxes, raccoons, and countless birds of prey.

The funniest time was taking city dweller friends into the kanc and when I got to moose country I said so and no sooner said saw one. You don't stop fast you keep going so as to not startle said moose and then in a safe manner turn back. My wife was in my face as I pasted by and slowed since she thought i was joking. I wasn't. After we got tired of picture taking of that moose, and other people came where by i charged my typical fee 25 cents We all went up to Franconia to see if i could find bear. I found 4, as momma bear and 2 year old cub soon to get booted from the den, and 2 new born cubs.

Then we went off to see other sites and on the return saw the same 4 bears again, and my wife to this day insists we saw 8 bears.

Please don't hit them with cars trucks and motorcycles.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 05-21-2013 at 04:53 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Do you car camp? Camp out at all ?
In my youth, we camped quite a bit. I'm more of the hotel type now. I like to be outdoors and enjoy those activities, but at the end of the day, I'm ready for a hotel or my own bed. I didn't realize how much of a city boy I was until we moved to New Hampshire.

-Mike

Old 05-21-2013, 07:30 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
Quote:
Mac_Muz wrote: The funniest time was taking city dweller friends into the kanc and when I got to moose country I said so and no sooner said saw one. You don't stop fast you keep going so as to not startle said moose and then in a safe manner turn back. My wife was in my face as I pasted by and slowed since she thought i was joking. I wasn't. After we got tired of picture taking of that moose, and other people came where by i charged my typical fee 25 cents We all went up to Franconia to see if i could find bear. I found 4, as momma bear and 2 year old cub soon to get booted from the den, and 2 new born cubs.
and yet I've driven the Kanc a few times, driven up through the Notch before they made 93 (well, ok: I rode in the car) and I've never seen a moose anywhere! I've seen deer and lately I see a lot of turkeys. That's all I've ever seen. I had to go to Norway & Sweden to see moose.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:33 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
If you're going to be up around that area, there's also Polar Caves (which aren't actually caves, but a fun scramble among the boulders) or Lost River (about the same as Polar Caves, but up in Lincoln).

Old 05-21-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBackHome View Post
If you're going to be up around that area, there's also Polar Caves (which aren't actually caves, but a fun scramble among the boulders) or Lost River (about the same as Polar Caves, but up in Lincoln).
I have never been to Polar Caves or Lost River. The only pay for place i have been is the flume, and only because other people insisted.

I just don't see the point to pay for what is there just natural. There is a zillion places to go see strange stones and water falls with out dropping dimes.

sculptured rocks nh is one .... google it and select images.

Rt 112 the kanc is great but it goes west of north Woodstock too and it's great over that way too right up to the Vt border. Getting lost on Old Cherry Mountain Rd might be fun..... Not really lost... but it might seem so.

I get these idea's like Crazy Dave and go fin d places mostly long gone and a next one for me with me the bridge at Livermore Falls just north of Plymouth on the Pemmi between Rt 3 and Rt 175.

I can see if in Goggle Earth i doubt you can wlak on it anymore, but i think parts are still standing.

I guess i just like old rusty junk best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire