Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 08:28 PM

17 posts, read 35,302 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Bedford next month. What do most people use for cable tv, phone, & internet? Comcast vs. Fairpoint? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 07:35 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
Don't have cable TV.

Use Fairpoint for phone and Comcast for internet.

Comcast keeps trying to sell us their bundle for all three but as unreliable as their internet and electric power is, we prefer to keep our landline with Fairpoint.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:24 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Direct TV for television.
Cable for broadband.
Nettalk for a semi-land line.
Cell phone.

For new folks there are "bundles". Lower price first year then much higher 2nd year. Read the fine print.

You really don't need any cable or satellite. If you have a smart TV. Just use an antenna for local television and Netflix or HuluPlus for television. If you don't have a smart TV then pick up a used Google TV box.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:52 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Comcast keeps trying to sell us their bundle for all three but as unreliable as their internet and electric power is, we prefer to keep our landline with Fairpoint.
Been using Comcast for close to 15 years, haven't noticed any of those unreliability issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
You really don't need any cable or satellite.
So you can determine the OP's watching habits by the little info they provided and can conclude that they don't need a service? You should market yourself out, truly a gift.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:58 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Lightbulb Verizon lists Bedford,NH as a FiOS lit town?

I'm near Bedford, have a very good antenna, receive 2 TV channels with the antenna. YMMV.

I've found Fairpoint's DSL is relatively slow, and during power outages, landline phone goes out about as often as cable and cell services (usually 2 days after electricity goes out). If you have a good cell phone and get strong signal in your new home, skip the expense of plain old telephone service (POTS). You can even get an adapter to use your cell phone or Internet to supply dial tone to house phones.

Verizon FiOS may be available in Bedford?

Old 05-19-2013, 04:28 PM

686 posts, read 1,767,900 times
I don't live in Bedford, but I caution against Fairpoint for Internet and don't see any reason why Comcast quality will be poor. (I am not commenting on their cost.)

If you get Internet from Comcast and need cable TV, the obvious thing to do is to bundle. However, you can get only Internet or only only cable from Comcast, without bundling. Also, if you are a new customer, you can get pretty good deal on just one service or a bundle for up to 18 months, and without a contract. You can change your provider at the end of 18 months. But, do read the fine print carefully and make a copy of all the terms and conditions you see when you place the order. You can show Comcast the terms if they bill you funny.

You shouldn't really need a land line if you have decent Internet service. Instead, get Nettalk, Ooma, or other VOIP device. Alternatively, if you have good cell-phone signal, need a separate number for some reason, and you have an Android device, you can get a free Google Voice number. Here is a thread that discusses these alternatives.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:55 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Verizon FiOS may be available in Bedford?
Verizon FIOS is not available in northern New England (New Hampshire, Maine & Vermont), and I don't see any sign that it ever will be. Verizon started the process in 2006 & 2007, but by 2008, the entire market of rural land-based lines & DSL was sold off to Fairpoint. It was a great deal for Verizon: dumping the antiquated land lines & DSL market allowed Verizon to shift billions in dept to Fairpoint, a company that has been struggling along every since...

Old 05-19-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post

So you can determine the OP's watching habits by the little info they provided and can conclude that they don't need a service? You should market yourself out, truly a gift.
Opps. Semantics.

I should have stated that some do not have to pay for cable TV or satellite TV. Speaking in general terms and not specific to this poster.

Guilty to typing too fast and not using correct words and terms and context. I'll have to dig out that old English text book that I have been saving since high school. Verbs, nouns, adjectives, and on and on.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:28 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
We use Comcast/Xfinity for everything, since it's the only cable TV and high-speed internet available here in Exeter, at least last time I looked.

We haven't shopped around or looked for deals in a while, so the whole package costs over $200 a month. Their internet service has had several glitches over the years with many hours spent on the phone getting everything back on line, but that hasn't happened in a while now. Same with cable TV--our "Favorites" list has disappeared twice, resulting in me having to re-create it once and re-input it twice.

And electric service, though provided by Unitil, is notoriously unreliable here in southern NH. We have day-long power losses even when there is no reason for them. For that, you can thank de-regulation of the electric industry, which reduced prices not at all, but resulted in no company having any responsibility for the reliability of the grid.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:46 AM

" For that, you can thank de-regulation of the electric industry, which reduced prices not at all, but resulted in no company having any responsibility for the reliability of the grid."

I couldn't have stated this any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire