Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 05:11 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBackHome View Post
You may be asking a lot for little NH, the slightly more conservative of the New England states. Are you sure you want to move here?? That sounds more of a city thing than a country thing. We are usually more described as friendly, salt of the earth type than sophisticated & upscale.

In general, regarding the LGBT lifestyles, NH in general doesn't care too much about specific anything - more is judged by behavior and who you are. But you're not going to see a lot of outward LGBT - as in kissing or holding hands, largely because NH folk don't go in that much for public displays of affection. between anyone! you don't see a lot of it between straights either. That was a good point about Ogunquite ME, though. Also in Mass at Provincetown on the tip of Cape Cod (if you're looking for a lot of open LGBT lifestyles).
That's right .... You are correct. Not so long ago on a hiking trail me a male obviously, and my wife and she is all 100% female witness two gals walking and holding hands. My wife made a face like WTF is that about to me, but other wise we remained silent.

It would have been far better for those 2 gals to NOT be holding hands. It for sure was not mother daughter.

I just barely tolerate this BS.... And then for the toleration, I get my toes stepped on about hunting, fishing, camping, logging, and guns!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 12:54 PM

10 posts, read 19,671 times
Interesting feedback from the forum...thank you for your responses to date.

We're not necessarily looking for areas that have open PDAs (for either straight or gay couples); just a town/city where we can feel safe and accepted.

Along those lines, what are your thoughts on being "open" at the workplace in NH? "Open" meaning that it's ok to talk about or introduce a same-sex partner without fears of discrimination.

We're starting to think that Portsmouth will avail the most opportunity for us based upon our original criteria in this thread - but again are open for suggestions.

We're trying to make decisions long-distance from the Seattle area, so having this feedback is appreciated.

Thanks again, all.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:10 PM

489 posts, read 964,029 times
Seattle? We're from Lacey.

You aren't going to find New Hampshire to be nearly as accepting and welcoming for gay families. The people here probably don't think of themselves as that way, but coming from what you have been experiencing in Seattle, you'll notice. I'm straight, and I notice it.

-Mike

Old 05-30-2013, 02:18 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCL View Post
Along those lines, what are your thoughts on being "open" at the workplace in NH? "Open" meaning that it's ok to talk about or introduce a same-sex partner without fears of discrimination.
I'd say it kinda depends. Like any other place, there's a mix of people: some are perfectly accepting and some are not. It's not like there's some badge to wear or sign on a house 'gay friendly/tolerant here' - you just tend to see when you meet people if it's something you can talk about or not. There's lots of aspects of life like that. I find that my religion is not the same as many people/family around me so it's not a subject I bring up much. Same with politics: I have some things in common with my family and some things not, and with many of my friends we don't necessarily agree on labels; so I try to avoid that topic. taxes, now everyone can agree they don't like taxes... except maybe GregW (I'm just *teasing* Greg!)

but I doubt anyone would particularly threaten you or damage property because of it! When people know you first, as a person of worth, they are less likely to attach labels afterwards and more accepting of differences.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:11 PM

10 posts, read 19,671 times
Thanks to MJ5150 and GotBackHome for your thoughts....we appreciate your time and sensitivity with our posting.

After taking everyone's feedback into consideration, we've decided to close this thread and look outside of NH. We're the type of people who are friendly, helpful, good neighbors and good citizens. If NH "tolerates" versus "welcomes" same-sex couples; then that's not the state for us.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:30 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
Quote:
Interesting feedback from the forum...thank you for your responses to date.

We're not necessarily looking for areas that have open PDAs (for either straight or gay couples); just a town/city where we can feel safe and accepted.

We're starting to think that Portsmouth will avail the most opportunity for us based upon our original criteria in this thread - but again are open for suggestions.

We're trying to make decisions long-distance from the Seattle area, so having this feedback is appreciated.

Thanks again, all.

People don't want to know about your relationships, gay or otherwise. So keep your family and closer friends to yourself and all will go well.

Nobody should know what kind of relationship you have with your partner. Married, or single, is all your co-workers need to know. (if they even need to know that much). Keep private info private.

You will find that in a great many boardrooms, not sure what level or what type work you do, that personal items are discouraged. Family photos no longer dominate the desk top.

If you are discriminated against because of sexual preferences, there are remedial steps that can be taken. Don't start the battle.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:30 PM

45 posts, read 162,450 times
Talking NH welcomes LGBT people!

BCCL,

As a 13 year NH resident and one half of a gay couple (who recently adopted an infant) I'd say that this forum is not accurately representing New Hampshire's openness towards LGBT people. My husband and I live in Manchester in a neighborhood where we know all of the neighbors on our street. Each one says hi when we walk by and is very genuine when they ask how we are, how our son is doing, where we went for vacation, etc etc. I work at one of the state's largest employers and have a photo of my husband and son on my desk, just as many co-workers have photos of their families. There are very senior leaders in my company who are also out at work - Vice Presidents and senior Vice Presidents...

Being gay in NH simply hasn't been an issue for us - we've been warmly welcomed - not just "accepted" or "tolerated". So I encourage you to give New Hampshire a second chance. I think Portsmouth would be an excellent option for you based on what you describe. It has a great down town area and isn't far from Ogunquit Maine which caters directly to LGBT (and straight) people.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like - I'd be happy to discuss further even over the phone if you'd like.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:22 PM

147 posts, read 268,730 times
I second iclyde.....I am not gay(nor do I care if you are). Some of the responses on here surprise me that people can put their "opinions" on here, and believe they are representative.....representative of the 19th century perhaps. These people are free to express their opinion, but they are not representative of the large majority of people in this great state of New Hampshire. This board seems to have a large number of what I would term "trolls" that unfortunately seem to try to shape others opinions about NH. These people are exclusive rather than inclusive and I believe this is not a fair sample of New Hampshire people.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:23 AM

61 posts, read 88,433 times
Quote:
... If NH "tolerates" versus "welcomes" same-sex couples; then that's not the state for us.
Are you freakin' kidding me?

I tolerate folks with all types of sexual preferences, religious beliefs, and pretty much anything else you can name - and all I ask in return is that they tolerate my own preferences and beliefs. I do not care if they share or endorse my views, only that they tolerate them. What entitles you to expect the citizenry of any town or state grant you some elevated status based on your sexual preference?

You have no right to demand or expect people do anything other than tolerate you and if that's not good enough grow a thicker skin or stay indoors.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:25 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Thanks to MJ5150 and GotBackHome for your thoughts....we appreciate your time and sensitivity with our posting.

After taking everyone's feedback into consideration, we've decided to close this thread and look outside of NH. We're the type of people who are friendly, helpful, good neighbors and good citizens. If NH "tolerates" versus "welcomes" same-sex couples; then that's not the state for us.
I don't understand why you would expect any state or town to welcome with open arms same-sex couples. What do you want? Red carpet treatment? Do you think that every state or city and town to have some sort of quota to fill in regards to same-sex couples?

Just be yourselves and good neighbors and any community will accept you. And that attitude should be enough for your family or anyone moving to a new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire