Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 07:06 PM

41 posts, read 156,936 times

Advertisements

I need help with as much information as I can get on living in N.H. I have been to the Concord area to go camping a lot and loved it in the summer but I need to know about winter weather and flooding. Can anyone suggest a nice, quiet area of N.H. where there is 'space' between neighbors, where it is affordable, safe neighborhoods, and close to good jobs where it is safe from a lot of floods? Also any other information on living in N.H. would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 07:25 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1222 View Post
I need help with as much information as I can get on living in N.H. I have been to the Concord area to go camping a lot and loved it in the summer but I need to know about winter weather and flooding. Can anyone suggest a nice, quiet area of N.H. where there is 'space' between neighbors, where it is affordable, safe neighborhoods, and close to good jobs where it is safe from a lot of floods? Also any other information on living in N.H. would be greatly appreciated.
The floods are overrated by the media. While dozens, maybe 100+ homes and businesses were flooded in NH in May 2006, and earlier this year, that is only a fraction of all homes and premises. The main impact to the populace was from infrastructure failures: closed roads and washed away or closed bridges. (Also note: drainage is different from flooding. Make sure any home you buy has good drainage around it - heavy rains can flood any basement if you have poor drainage).

"Quiet" depends on what you're used to. I lived in London and Los Angeles and spent time in other major cities around the world before coming here. ANYWHERE in NH is quieter than where I'm from.

"Safe", again depends on where you're comparing against. However, NH and cities within NH rank very low on the nations crime indexes.

Plentiful jobs are going to be in the South and SE of the state. "Good" jobs can be had anywhere. Draw a line between Keene, Concord, Dover and Portsmouth. Everywhere south of there (which includes Manchester) will cost more to live in, but will have better job opportunities.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:43 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
Here's a link someone posted the other day.NH Community Profiles (http://www.nhes.state.nh.us/elmi/communpro.htm - broken link)

Old 11-05-2007, 05:21 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
NH had 3 major floods in apx 18 months. Some people were flooded twice in this time. Google information about these floods. Places like Suncook and Goffstown people actually were in the process of rebuilding from the first flood out when the second flood came and washed them out again.

During these floods there were places that were evacuated all three times- I cannot recall exactly where but google and try to find out. One might have been a certain area in Newmarket. Also, during these floods, some dams were very close to being compromised. For me, I would not live below those dams, but that is just me.

As far as Concord, the apartment complex down the road from me was totally washed out on the first floor because they had a stream behind them. No one died or was hurt-just damage to the building. We are about a mile away and had nothing but minor road flooding. Concord did have damage but compared to Keene, Goffstown, Alstead, etc. it was minor.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:36 AM

835 posts, read 2,876,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1222 View Post
We've been in our home in Londonderry for 10 years and have never had a drop of water even thru the worst floods of the past several years and even when neighboring towns have suffered flooding. Thankful for that! By the way, see my post in Classifieds.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Try the top of a mountain. IRRC the top of Mt. Washington has never flooded although it was covered by a glacier fairly recently.

Seriously check the FEMA flood maps at the town planning office. Also drainage is very important. Our condo association lost our in ground swimming pool when it tried to float away during a very heavy rain. The pool is on the top of a hill. $50 k special assessment – ouch.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:33 AM

123 posts, read 553,284 times
Mt. Washington Valley doubtfully has threat for flood. Rather affordable to live in, however I find home prices and taxes high (in Conway, North Conway areas).. but I am also young and kind of 'just starting out' somewhat I suppose.
It is a very safe area, there has been some crime in the past 2 years or so, but very rare and odd occurrences. You have that everywhere you go.
Mt. Washington Valley is a tourist area.. much busier in the summer but it's fun. Hiking, Biking, Shopping (outlet shops), dining..
Give it a look.
Mt. Washington Valley information site

Old 11-14-2007, 04:35 AM

117 posts, read 485,709 times
NH has a lot of small streams and rivers that when you get 6-10 inches of rain in a day or two they become rivers and very big rivers that will wash away structures that weren't designed to withstand the water pressure. People close to these small streams and rivers will always have a tough time of it..

Old 11-14-2007, 06:40 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Foster's Daily Democrat (newspaper) website has left in place the various articles regarding flooding for both years:
Foster's Online: The Flood of 2006
Foster's Flood of 2007

Old 11-14-2007, 06:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Like I said use the FEMA flood maps and try to avoid anything in the 100 year or less flood zone.

BTW - they did find some debris from a very old and large boat on Mt Washington so it may have been flooded at least once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire