Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2006, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,657 times

Advertisements

We have been debating about what town we want to move to and on a visit last weekend found a house that we love in Keene. However, we are worried that, coming frm a much bigger city, we will get very bored. I do a lot of art, (take classes, etc) and shopping when I can afford it. My husband loves fine dining and wine. We enjoy going out at night as well. But we are lookng for a very family friendly place where outdoor activities are popular and quickly available. We enjoy remodeling and working on our home, and just love the feel that Keene has but worry that we will be bored and disappointed once we actually move there.
Another huge concern we have is the availability of jobs in Keene.
Any thoughts on either subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 02:42 PM

32 posts, read 193,190 times
I grew up in Manchester, NH and always felt like Keene was very secluded. I would drive down occasionally to hike Mt monadnock, go to some shops, but never felt like there was much more to do than that. Its a beautiful part of the state and atleast there is the state college. What other areas are you considering? Portsmouth area is an artsy, family friendly, close knit community that is in close proximity to so much more to do than Keene. My Brother lives in Portsmouth and they are very active outdoors and walk or bike everywhere, lots to do with the kids and I dont think they know the meaning of bored!
Hope that helps! =)

Old 08-24-2007, 05:50 PM

17 posts, read 114,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxNation View Post
I grew up in Manchester, NH and always felt like Keene was very secluded. I would drive down occasionally to hike Mt monadnock, go to some shops, but never felt like there was much more to do than that. Its a beautiful part of the state and atleast there is the state college. What other areas are you considering? Portsmouth area is an artsy, family friendly, close knit community that is in close proximity to so much more to do than Keene. My Brother lives in Portsmouth and they are very active outdoors and walk or bike everywhere, lots to do with the kids and I dont think they know the meaning of bored!
Hope that helps! =)
I read this it was helpful to me also.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:56 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,470,266 times
I moved to Keene from a city of over 300,000 *off season* clost to a million in season. Keene is considered a "city" in NH. I love it here, its VERY artsy. Next weekend they're having Art in the Park where local artists are showing off their work to buy. We have parks, museums, dining, theaters, bowling, Target, Walmart, circuit city etc. Everything you need. I can usually find something to do every day, wednesdays is free concerts in the park, either at the Rec center or main square. Last weekend there was a block party on main street with many vendors, ponies, hula hooping, it was hawaii themed party. I feared I would be bored when I moved here giving I grew up in a city but I have to say its quite the opposite. Its very nice, its peaceful yet not dead here. Its a great town to raise a family, it was voted best town to raise a family actually in parent magazine. We are also very close to Brattleboro VT. about a half hour maybe less, and Massachusetts. We're 2 hours from Boston, or the seacoast. We have beaches, Crotched mountain for skiing in the winter, and we're an hours drive from the capital Concord. Check out the Keene chamber of commerce and go to events calendar. There is always something going on. Don't forget the pumpkin festival in October, sleigh rides in winter, ice festival in February and much more.

Keene Chamber of Commerce link

Old 08-25-2007, 07:10 PM

562 posts, read 654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBloo View Post
We have been debating about what town we want to move to and on a visit last weekend found a house that we love in Keene. However, we are worried that, coming frm a much bigger city, we will get very bored. I do a lot of art, (take classes, etc) and shopping when I can afford it. My husband loves fine dining and wine. We enjoy going out at night as well. But we are lookng for a very family friendly place where outdoor activities are popular and quickly available. We enjoy remodeling and working on our home, and just love the feel that Keene has but worry that we will be bored and disappointed once we actually move there.
Another huge concern we have is the availability of jobs in Keene.
Any thoughts on either subject?
Just remember, that the towns of New Hampshire are the way they are, and people like them that way. Don't try to make wherever you move to a duplicate of where you came from. If you get bored easily, then you may want to look around. I come from a city of nearly 2 million people (and growing) and I just want to be away from all the BS of this sort of life of 'convenience'. If you don't want to be away from 'convenience', you should look into Mass.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:05 AM

37 posts, read 120,738 times
Do I ever love the town of Keene, but mind you I am a native of the state. You must be adventurous, creative and resourceful to find things to do out here in the rural parts of NH. Finding fun and often free music and art events is easy if you read local papers ahead of time. I have not lived there since 2000 and I hear it is a great deal more built up than before. If you're into inns and fine dining, there are a bunch of unique places to travel and dine at not too far from Keene. Hanover is another close destination that is cool and was recently listed as great place to retire to because of the college and activities and such. Our lovely little Peterborough has also recently been in the news for a great town to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire