Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 07:10 AM

165 posts, read 241,337 times

Advertisements

I will better check with another shop. I didn't subject the car to inspection as such. I had gone for an oil change and the mechanic himself gave me couple of notes/recommendations seeing that my car plates were from CT. He said that it was from a state inspection perspective and I may have fix those things if I need to register in NH. He was saying that these safety inspections were meant to ensure that the car doesn't pose a safety threat to others on the road.

He listed a couple of things including this non-functional driver side window. While others repairs were mechanical and seemed to make sense, I asked him how does a non-functioning window pose a safety threat to others on the road and would fixing it be really needed to pass the inspection. He said it is needed and the state asks for it. He said they want to you fix that to be able to pay the tolls and to interact when cops pull over. He was like when a cop pulls over and if you open the doors instead of windows, they may get alerted in false sense. I always open the door whenever I need to pay the tolls and I have been pulled over only once in Rhode Island. The cop waved his hands to pull me over as I was not having front plates. At that time we finished interacting through the passenger window and didn't have to open the driver side door or window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 07:15 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curidpostn View Post
I will better check with another shop. I didn't subject the car to inspection as such. I had gone for an oil change and the mechanic himself gave me couple of notes/recommendations seeing that my car plates were from CT. He said that it was from a state inspection perspective and I may have fix those things if I need to register in NH. He was saying that these safety inspections were meant to ensure that the car doesn't pose a safety threat to others on the road.

He listed a couple of things including this non-functional driver side window. While others repairs were mechanical and seemed to make sense, I asked him how does a non-functioning window pose a safety threat to others on the road and would fixing it be really needed to pass the inspection. He said it is needed and the state asks for it. He said they want to you fix that to be able to pay the tolls and to interact when cops pull over. He was like when a cop pulls over and if you open the doors instead of windows, they may get alerted in false sense. I always open the door whenever I need to pay the tolls and I have been pulled over only once in Rhode Island. The cop waved his hands to pull me over as I was not having front plates. At that time we finished interacting through the passenger window and didn't have to open the driver side door or window.
None of which is really relevant. If your car doesn't pass inspection for whatever reason you won't be driving it, all of the forum posts about what you did in another state have no bearing. It is what it is.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:17 AM

I am referring to the link on Inspections and Emissions that was posted earlier in this thread -

Inspections and Emissions | Registration | Division of Motor Vehicles | NH Department of Safety

Registration, plates, registration certificate and vehicle identification number.
Steering, front end and suspension.
Brakes, including parking brake.
Odometer and speedometer.
Electrical system, horn and defroster.
Lights and reflectors, including headlight aim.
Glass, glazing and mirrors.
Wipers.
Exhaust system.
On-board diagnostics system.
Body, chassis and bumper height.
Fuel system.
Tires and wheels.

I do not find windows mentioned anywhere in this. Is there any other manual or document that lists inspection process? I believe some standard should exist for this.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:18 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Why not just call a state inspection station and ask them?

Old 05-19-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Why not just call a state inspection station and ask them?
Let me do that. Out of that "list", only exhaust system looks like an actual issue w.r.t this inspection for my car. I know that I have a leak in exhaust. Rest of them are fine. I don't have any check engine lights on too.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:41 AM

465 posts, read 418,229 times
Agreeeeeeeee

Old 05-19-2015, 01:30 PM

I called and spoke with another inspection center. It looks fixing window is a must for passing the inspection.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:23 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
We had an old guy in town who had an older but nice looking big Buick.
Got inspection every year. Passed.
But from day one when he purchased this used car it had no reverse.
He always got a legit inspection as the rest of the car was nice.

After years of driving this car the same inspection station stated he needed reverse. He then junked the car.

So what does this have to do with anything?

I guess some inspections stations may or may not follow the rules or make up some rules.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:04 PM

6 posts, read 8,135 times
I'm from NH and understand the inconvenience or anxiety of inspection.
Emissions blows. If you have a car 1996 or newer (obd2), your catalytic convertor, secondary air injection system/ EGR valve, o2 sensor, and evaporative recovery system all better work flawlessly or else you will not get a sticker until whatever it is gets fixed.
If your engine light comes on for an o2 sensor and you fix it, and clear the light, all your drive cycle monitors will be reset simultaneously. These are the monitors your vehicle's computer uses to constantly make sure your car is operating within the epa's guidelines. So, once you clear the light you cannot just have your mechanic plug it in and give you a sticker. You must waste gas by driving the car for a couple days and put it through the tests so the computer can report that your car is efficient.... real nice.
From what I've heard some states like Florida don't require emissions inspection. I'm envious of those people.
Also note that none of the systems that monitor your cars emissions are actually required to make it run, they actually decrease performance! It is literally more junk that some engineers came up with that can break, cost you more money, and manufacturing this crap for every vehicle on the road most likely creates more pollution than what is actually prevented from coming out your car's exhaust pipe. THE ENTIRE THING IS A SCAM. Some "smart" people came up with this stuff...it creates jobs, revenue, and most people struggle to comply with it.
Anyway...inspection for NH includes:
Registration, plates, registration certificate and vehicle identification number.
Steering, front end and suspension.
Brakes, including parking brake.
Odometer and speedometer.
Electrical system, horn and defroster.
Lights and reflectors, including headlight aim.
Glass, glazing and mirrors.
Wipers.
Exhaust system.
On-board diagnostics system.
Body, chassis and bumper height.
Fuel system.
Tires and wheels.
I believe NH must have a very thorough inspection process due to the fact that insurance is not required. I think that's the trade off. Kinda like the no sales tax but outrageous property tax we have here
It is not easy finding a decent mechanic, who will do the required job and do it right the first time, and not gouge the prices. Ask friends and coworkers who they go to and what they've experienced. Assuming you find a decent mechanic, and if your car is in the shop frequently, build a relationship with them, make sure they remember who you are, if they have been around a while and they care they know you will remember them...and reputation is key.
Unfortunately I could come up with a list of shops not to go to, but instead I will just spread the word of a shop in Londonderry NH that my family has trusted for many years. Located on sanborn road. They are honest and don't work on everything (no tranny work, no serious engine or body repair ), but the repairs they will make are always correct the first time.
Welcome to NH and good luck.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:09 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
I just took a friends Saturn S-Series, 146,000 miles on odometer to my local mechanic.

Previously, he had gone to one of those franchise shops such as Midas, Meinke, etc. and he showed me the printout of $1,400 of work that must be done to car.

My local mechanic looked car over and stated nothing needed to be done. took all wheels off and looked at brakes, etc. Except one front lug nut was missing. It seems that the Midas, Meinke, etc. shop had stripped the threads on one lug nut stem, stated nothing, and just put the other 3 lug nuts on. Never told customer of their mistake. So the only repair needed for this $1,400 estimate is a mistake that the franchise shop made and never told the customer.

Sadly, people with older cars, poor people especially, get taken for a ride at these franchise shops.
With any older car, these franchise shops want to replace everything. Just because it is old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire