Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 05:59 AM

278 posts, read 656,233 times

Advertisements

As we have spent time in the area looking at housing in Nashua/Hollis, I have noticed a fair number of boats on trailers in people's yards. Boats ranging from bass-boats, ski-boats, to off-shore Grady White types of boats.

These are the "usual suspect" boating areas that I am aware of:
  • Lake Winnipesaukee
    Great Bay / Little Bay (Piscataqua River Estuary)
    Mouth of the Merrimack River (Newburyport)

All of these areas are an hour or so from Nashua. Am I missing something? Any others that I am not aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 12:17 PM

84 posts, read 121,217 times
There are many lakes within a one hour drive from Nashua.What type of boating do you do?

Old 06-16-2013, 12:21 PM

I have a small pilot house lobster boat. I don't currently have a trailer, but will get one in the fall. We currently boat in Casco Bay Maine.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:48 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times
I love motorboating hehehehe

Old 06-16-2013, 09:01 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
I love motorboating hehehehe

Motor Boating - full scene - Wedding Crashers - Team Player - YouTube

Old 06-16-2013, 11:21 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Lots of people have to leave their boats sitting in their driveways because the State-required test to get a boating license (complete with a proctor to make sure nobody "cheats") is so difficult that an educational course (just recently available online) is required to even have a chance at passing it. And despite us piloting our boats for over 30 years in Florida, there is no grandfathering provisions.

And the level of micro-management of hunting and fishing activities is truly unbelievable. Here's a sample of some of the government licenses/permits required in NH (the "Live Free or Die" state): General Hunting, Small Game License, Pheasant Hunting License, Wild Turkey Hunting License, Moose Hunting License, HIP permit (waterfowl), State Waterfowl stamp, Federal Waterfowl stamp, Harvest Information Survey permit, Special Archery Deer Hunting, Turkey Hunting, Bear Hunting, Unit M Special Deer tag, Muzzleloader license, Clam Permit, Oyster Permits, Saltwater Fishing, Freshwater Fishing, Archery Hunting, Broodstock Salmon Fishing, Atlantic Salmon Permit. Each of these has it's own educational requirements, along with regulations outlining every possible variable from exact geographic limits of hunting/fish areas (as if there are municipal boundaries in the woods), to times of day, to sex and condition of the prey, to type of gun used.

This is what happens when government gets to large and too powerful.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:51 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,957 times
Well im not going to completely dissagree with you, but really the boating test is no big deal and I am happy I took it as I learned alot being a new boater. wasnt a huge investment of my time either. for someone who has been boating for 30 years should be even less of an invesntment of your time.

To the original poster, we have an 18' bow rider and primarily go to winnisquam, merrimack river north of manchester, sunapee and winni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Lots of people have to leave their boats sitting in their driveways because the State-required test to get a boating license (complete with a proctor to make sure nobody "cheats") is so difficult that an educational course (just recently available online) is required to even have a chance at passing it. And despite us piloting our boats for over 30 years in Florida, there is no grandfathering provisions.

And the level of micro-management of hunting and fishing activities is truly unbelievable. Here's a sample of some of the government licenses/permits required in NH (the "Live Free or Die" state): General Hunting, Small Game License, Pheasant Hunting License, Wild Turkey Hunting License, Moose Hunting License, HIP permit (waterfowl), State Waterfowl stamp, Federal Waterfowl stamp, Harvest Information Survey permit, Special Archery Deer Hunting, Turkey Hunting, Bear Hunting, Unit M Special Deer tag, Muzzleloader license, Clam Permit, Oyster Permits, Saltwater Fishing, Freshwater Fishing, Archery Hunting, Broodstock Salmon Fishing, Atlantic Salmon Permit. Each of these has it's own educational requirements, along with regulations outlining every possible variable from exact geographic limits of hunting/fish areas (as if there are municipal boundaries in the woods), to times of day, to sex and condition of the prey, to type of gun used.

This is what happens when government gets to large and too powerful.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:54 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
No. People have boats in their driveways because they need a place to park them when they are not using them. I took the NH boating course online last year, took the test, no big deal and I'm no genius (I don't even own a boat nor do I plan to buy one...what's that tell ya?)

As others have mentioned, there are many small lakes and ponds in the area. There is also the Merrimack river. I know many people that have weekend houses farther away and they trailer their boats there every Friday night.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:00 AM

Been boating since I was 12 or so growing up on the Great South Bay on LI, and for the past 13 years in Casco Bay. I've taken the USCG Auxiliary BS&S Course several times over the years as a "brush-up" to the Navigation Rules. That course satisfies NH's boater-safety-education requirements.

Either way, I wasn't aware that the Merrimack River, North of Manchester was navigable by anything more than a kayak. I'll have to check those places out (Winnisquam, & Sunapee too). Thanks guys!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:11 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddei63 View Post
Been boating since I was 12 or so growing up on the Great South Bay on LI, and for the past 13 years in Casco Bay. I've taken the USCG Auxiliary BS&S Course several times over the years as a "brush-up" to the Navigation Rules. That course satisfies NH's boater-safety-education requirements.

Either way, I wasn't aware that the Merrimack River, North of Manchester was navigable by anything more than a kayak. I'll have to check those places out (Winnisquam, & Sunapee too). Thanks guys!

The Merrimack has a boat ramp in Hooksett across the river from robbies country store near the dog park, be careful going under the train tracks/ bridge as there as some obstacles and shallow water. there is about 8 miles of river that you can cruise on. not sure i would put a boat bigger then 24' in the water there tho. Sunapee doesn’t have a good ramp or parking which is why we typically go to winnisquam, great ramp, great parking and a good sandbar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire