Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 04:36 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,570,003 times

Advertisements

Over and over on this board someone mentions that NH is lacking in federal and/or State services, but what are they talking about exactly? Nobody ever mentions if that means the roads are not cleared during snowstorms or there is no help for the mentally ill (like in Texas where you have bums standing on every other street corner in Houston's top shopping area begging). With NH not having a State income tax, what services does NH not provide it's citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 06:57 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,492,323 times
After all of this snow that just fell the hubby and myself noticed that the main streets were plowed, but the side roads were not. Our street is off a main street, and they would plow the main street, put like a 3 foot snow bank at the end of our street and then never come down our street. We have yet to have our street plowed. We have a guy with a huge snow blower who snow blows our entire street but he can't keep up sometimes and we end up getting tons of slush, packed snow and ice under all of it.. Then someone always has to plow through the snowbank with their car that they left at the end of the street blocking us from getting out. This is true for some other streets as well, the hubby got stuck in the police car, even with chains on the tires on another street not plowed.. Thats all I've noticed so far

Old 12-26-2007, 06:58 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,331,280 times
None-in my opinion- are due to a lack of a state income tax. How is it decided what is "lacking"?
If we implemented a state and sales tax tomorrow and raised property taxes 500% there would still be some segment of the population or some group saying that the state was lacking in something. How much of this money would go toward what a government should TRULY pay for? Not much. It would go to more pork like programs and also things the government has no business involving itself in. It would go toward paying for people who refuse to pay for themselves. I pay for myself and too many other people already.

If an income tax were instituted tomorrow, can you imagine how many "jobs" would be created. We would need to have a brand new building, jobs for all the people who would process the forms, customer service, etc.. How much of that income tax would go towards "paying for the income tax" instead of for governmental services they claim the tax will be for in the first place?. How many lifetime jobs for cushy big wigs would be created?

Tolls have already been raised. I read in the newspaper that the Dems are already proposing another 50 cents tax on cigarettes-they already raised that tax in the last budget. This is on top of all the taxes that were raised in the last budget-car registration, real estate transfer tax and many others. These are hidden taxes and not visible to the public. The politicians can run around and claim they did not raise taxes. Take a look in the last budget and see for yourself.

Anything that is legitimetly "lacking" in our state should be covered by cutting unneccessary spending. Our taxes have increased so much over the past two years-taxes, tolls cigarettes, car registration, etc. Where is all this money? We do not need any new taxes. Look at how much NH spending has gone up over the past years since Moe and the Dems/Rinos took control. Now they are asking for even more money-once again from Smokers who are villified at every angle but they don't mind taking money from them. I do not smoke by the way but think it is horrible how smokers are treated.

By the way-NJ has a sales tax, an income tax and high property taxes. So does PA. SOme of the cities even have local city taxes like Philly. If you go to either of their large cities-outside airports etc. There are people "begging for money" like you referred to. So, an income tax is obviously not the answer to that. Wasteful and overspending by the greedy government is. NJ just raised their sales tax and they still"need" more tax money. It is a never ending appetite once the government gets hold of your money-they will always ask for and take more.

Just MHO,

Nicole

Old 12-26-2007, 12:02 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Over and over on this board someone mentions that NH is lacking in federal and/or State services, but what are they talking about exactly? Nobody ever mentions if that means the roads are not cleared during snowstorms or there is no help for the mentally ill (like in Texas where you have bums standing on every other street corner in Houston's top shopping area begging). With NH not having a State income tax, what services does NH not provide it's citizens?
NH has great services for it's citizens. Comparitily speaking to many other states I have lived in, NH is not lacking.
Though we do not have an income tax we do have VERY high property taxes. We also pay taxes on capitol gains and interest earned (over a certain dollar amount. I think $1500)

Old 12-26-2007, 04:40 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
What NH lacks is the administrative overhead costs associated with a large state bureaucracy. Property taxes are set by and spent by each town or city. A small portion goes to the state. Local spending and admin means a small state civil service and less fiscal waste.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:10 PM

215 posts, read 584,054 times
I agree with Nicolem. I cannot think of anything " lacking", but Nicolem is correct on the hidden taxes. The car registration gets me.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:10 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,192 times
I don't know of any services lacking.....maybe you could explain what services we should expect to get that we don't have?

Old 12-27-2007, 09:53 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,570,003 times
Since someone asked, services that NH could provide, and I am wondering if they do:

1. Yes, do they snowplow the side streets that are strictly residential? If you are cutting expenses, it would seem to me that NH would expect YOU to plow your own street if it is a side street.
2. Help for the mentally ill. It is truly NO delight to have to walk past someone who is a street person/bum and mentally ill (how can I tell? They are talking jibberish to themselves, digging thru the garbage and so forth), and have absolutely no place to call and have them helped/picked up and no residential services for them. Houston is absolutely crawling with these people! Fun times.
3. No street lights on side streets.
4. No repairing of potholes. Fun for your car, too!
5. No city parks for you to enjoy.
6. Not enough Police or Fire departments. A biggie! Houston has that problem; plus, the city is something like 50 miles across either way, and it is just too big.
And so forth. These are just a few I can think of off the top of my head.
Obviously, I am not the one who thought of this problem with a lack of State tax as I don't live there yet; however, it has been mentioned many times over and over how NH lacks in services. So, what services seem to be missing?
If the missing services are FREE medical care and other programs for the indigent, I never used them (as probably none of you have either) or had to use them.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:10 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,192 times
we must have the best services a small town can offer for we are plowed constantly during every storm and we live on an extremely rural street.

We have a park. Our pot holes are repaired annually even when we don't have the budget for it.

We don't have street lights except for intersections, but I don't feel they are necessary and am glad to be able to see the stars at night.

We have a great fire department and it takes 7 minutes to get to the furthest property in town. Derry, my former town, has a multitude of fire departments.

as far as the mentally incapable street people? I have not seen any here, but in Concord there are a couple that are well known to the area. Thanks to former President Reagan, they are no longer eligible for hospitalization.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:33 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,331,280 times
As far as plowing goes-it depends if you are on a private road or not. I am on a private road in a condo development-therefore our contractor plows-it is not handled by the city or state. However once you turn out of my road the next road is a city road which is handled by the city for which I pay property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire