Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:38 AM

80 posts, read 146,411 times

Advertisements

We are possibly moving to one of these towns. Is one a better option than the other? I see that Tilton has a much larger commercial district.

We are interested to know about the communities. Franklin looks more "working class," but they both might be the same in that area. (No biggie for us, coming from Claremont, NH, but worry a little about crime, large welfare population, poverty issues, struggling economy, etc.)

What kind of amenities in this area? I see that Franklin has a public beach on a lake. What about the recreation departments? Parks? Other lakes/beaches? Shopping? Events?

Is this area family-friendly? Homeschool groups? What can you tell me about the churches?

Taxe? Politics (is one more conservative than the other?) Schools? Public services (police, fire, snow removal . . .)

Finally, how are these areas when it comes to tourists/traffic? I imagine they are pretty bad in the summer as they also access Laconia and the lakes region. How are things off-season?

Basically, anything GOOD or BAD that you can tell me about Franklin or Tilton (or surrounding areas closer to Concord) would be helpful. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:14 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,561,453 times
I can only mention the traffic. These towns are not on anyone's tourist list as well as not being on the road to any as well.

I have a friend that lives in Franklin in a single family house area and it is a nice neighborhood.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:20 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,106,463 times
the area has some beautiful rural towns like Northfield, Salisbury, Andover and Sanbornton if you prefer that. Franklin is pricey with high taxes. Webster Valve is a fairly big business in the area. There is also a hospital.

Tilton has the outlet malls. They are conveniently located right next to I-93 so traffic isn't really inconvenienced.

Franklin has twice the population that Tilton does.

Both towns have access to private schools as well.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:08 PM

489 posts, read 959,757 times
Upper Crust Pizza is excellent. We tried the Tilton Diner a few times, but weren't all that impressed.

We like the downtown Franklin area, but all the closed up storefronts are disappointing. You can tell driving through it was probably once a bustling area. It would be nice if they could find a way to revitalize that downtown area. Right next to the river is such a great location.

-Mike

Old 07-15-2013, 12:14 PM

6,524 posts, read 6,672,315 times
Both towns are a run-down mess.....Franklin more so. Big drug issues in both towns. Can't begin to understand why you have picked these 2 towns ? At least look at Northfield & Sanbornton like buck naked mentioned.

Aside from shopping at Exit 20 in Tilton there are no tourists in either town at all. Lol, so I guess there is that.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:19 PM

Great feedback so far, and I'd love to hear MORE!

Greg, the realtor that I talked to said that Route 11 is pretty busy as it ties Franklin with Tilton toward the busy, tourist area of Laconia. Also, the Franklin tax rate is pretty typical of NH, but I see that Tilton is less.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:22 PM

We are considering all areas within 20 miles or so of Concord, but Northfiled has quite high taxes and much more expensive properties. Sanbornton is just further away, but possible. Franklin proper (downtown) is not where we want to be, but there are some rural spots within the town limits that we would look at. Tilton is not bad looking and is super convenient for shopping and is right on I-93. Just exploring and wanting to know more. Thanks!

Old 07-15-2013, 12:28 PM

6,524 posts, read 6,672,315 times
Look at Loudon.....right off 106 next to Concord. Look in E. Concord which is somewhat rural. Look at Chichester which is right next to Concord.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:38 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,561,453 times
Try Dunbarton just SW of Concord.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:53 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,106,463 times
Webster Lake in Franklin is also beautiful, if you can find a property there. Tilton has Silver Lake, equally beautiful.

I second Dunbarton - very rural and quiet but close to most amenities. Maybe you'll find something on Gorham Pond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire