Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 09:18 PM

9 posts, read 16,193 times

Advertisements

UGGGH!!! Thanks for the heads up on that Kara-- I do plan to get my BSN (and hopefully CRNA after that). Right now, I just need a marketable skill to feed these hungry babies of mine. So, LPN it is for now. I appreciate the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 11:45 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,872,134 times
Having been a patient at Dartmouth Hitchcock Hospital I do ask all technicians where they obtained their training. Some departments provide their own training. So I would not completely give up on Dartmouth Hitchcock Hospital. I have no idea about pay scales though. If you get your foot in the door you may get way ahead of others seeking higher level jobs.

If you do not know how to make a real good resume then hire someone.
If you do not know how to provide a good interview then take some training from a professional.

You have to look good on paper and look good in person.

I was employed at one large installation and I purposely made sure that I never used a sick day. At the end of this 3 year job I went to personnel and asked for a letter stating such. I got the letter on company stationary stating that I had a perfect attendance. That letter made a difference for the next job.

Also do some volunteer work. I volunteered at a local hospital for 3 hours after work one day per week. That also helped me with employment and advancement.

Join at least one civic organization. Some charity. Anything. Lions Club. Kiwanis Club, Shriners, or even the American Legion. If possible become an officer of such. All looks good on a resume.

Yes, time makes such quite difficult. But it does help.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:03 PM

Also good advice-- right now, I'm simply trying to get through school. Balancing that with family life is a career within itself!

Old 07-28-2013, 01:53 PM

7 posts, read 11,215 times
We are also looking at relocating to NH in about 3 years when I graduate with my BS. I'm still a little unsure on all the towns but IMO southern NH is the perfect location. Close to both the ocean and the mountains and around an hour from Boston. Boston is an awesome place to visit for cultural activities that some of these small towns may not be able to offer. I'm pretty sure both you and your wife should be able to find jobs in your fields just about anywhere though for me being within commuting distance to Boston will be a big plus!! I'm looking around the Nashua/Manchester areas. Derry is looking nice to me but people are saying that the property taxes are too high so I'll keep doing my research. Good luck!!!

Old 07-29-2013, 12:12 PM

611 posts, read 1,199,952 times
You can work at Dartmouth Hitchcock with an ADN. I have heard they went through a period where they were trying to only hire BSN's but the area is too rural and there is too much of a nursing shortage to make this remotely possible. I work with many ADN's in a critical care setting.
OTH, across the country the job market has gotten rough for LPN's. Nursing homes seem to be the biggest employers as most hospitals have gone away from the old nursing model of the RN overseeing LPN's and CNA/LNA's on the floor. I haven't run across any LPN's at Dartmouth and I could count on one hand how many LPN's worked in the 12 story hospital I came from.

I would highly recommend at least getting your ADN before making the move. You should not have any trouble finding work after that no matter where you choose to relocate in the area.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:00 PM

64 posts, read 127,694 times
Good to hear, lady fern. I count my blessings that I did not get that job as I LOVE the one I have now.

King Badger, I echo the advice to get a bit of further education in nursing before coming here. I work in extreme northern NH and I believe that in our entire organization we have three LPNs. We are a critical access facility with four clinics, with about 350 total employees.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:42 PM

Sounds good, guys-- thank you!

Old 07-31-2013, 11:30 PM

73 posts, read 118,369 times
Just so the OP is aware - there are lots of hospitals in NH aside from Dartmouth. That's obviously the one in our state that has the most notoriety, but there are LOTS more. Nashua and Manchester each have two hospitals (in addition to the V.A.). There are also hospitals in Rochester, Dover, Portsmouth, Concord, Wolfeboro, Exeter, Littleton, North Conway...the list goes on beyond those, I'm sure. And there are plenty of SNFs and other facilities beyond acute care that would hire nurses, too. I have friends who are RNs but do not have a Bachelors degree, and they are employed as RNs, so not all hospitals here require a Bachelors degree; maybe the competition has gotten more intense in this economy, I don't know.

I don't understand the "lack of cable/internet" thing people keep mentioning. I'm a lifelong NH resident and I grew up in an uber-small, rural town on the edge of the lakes region (population=3000) that didn't even have its own high school and was a half hour from the nearest grocery store and we were able to get cable TV starting in 1989. Even my relatives on sparsely-inhabited dirt roads in Effingham ("middle of nowhere" type of place) had it by the very early 90s. Internet wasn't around way back then, obviously...but my small hometown "in the sticks" got it by 1998 or so.
Never had that issue living anywhere in the Seacoast either. I'm near the Monadnock region now in another rural/farm town and cable/internet is available for everyone I know around here too.
So...those comments just really surprise me. My experience tells me that unavailability of cable/internet is not an issue in the vast majority of places one would move/live in NH.

Last edited by maire8; 07-31-2013 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-01-2013, 07:34 PM

64 posts, read 127,694 times
Where I live (just 6 miles out of Lancaster), we do not have cable available. We have DISH and we just got high speed internet through FairPoint. Before July we had HughesNet which absolutey sucked.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:19 PM

73 posts, read 118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kara3967 View Post
Where I live (just 6 miles out of Lancaster), we do not have cable available. We have DISH and we just got high speed internet through FairPoint. Before July we had HughesNet which absolutey sucked.
Wow, interesting! Must be something about the western side of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire