Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:54 AM

893 posts, read 1,201,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have to pay higher insurance rates to compensate for the folks that are too cheap to by auto insurance. I am not exactly happy about that.

If you cannot afford to insure yourself and your car you cannot afford to drive.

This is not correct. Cars can be bought fairly cheap (I just bought one for $2000 in July), and when you pay that little for it, it doesn't make sense to pay for insurance on it. It would be cheaper for me to just buy a new one (for a similar price) if it were ever ruined in an accident than to pay insurance on it for several years so that it could be "fixed" or whatever. Especially since I am a good driver who has never been in an accident, which means it is unlikely to happen in the first place.

Unfortunately, I don't live in NH so I have to pay for bare minimum coverage, but I like that New Hampshire allows you to not get scammed into paying that if you don't want to. I hope it comes across the border into Maine, where I just moved to.

Anyways, just because you overpaid for your car and want to protect your investment doesn't mean that people who were smart and bought a cheap car should also have to pay, so that your coverage is cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 11:14 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,878,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
This is not correct. Cars can be bought fairly cheap (I just bought one for $2000 in July), and when you pay that little for it, it doesn't make sense to pay for insurance on it. It would be cheaper for me to just buy a new one (for a similar price) if it were ever ruined in an accident than to pay insurance on it for several years so that it could be "fixed" or whatever. Especially since I am a good driver who has never been in an accident, which means it is unlikely to happen in the first place.

Unfortunately, I don't live in NH so I have to pay for bare minimum coverage, but I like that New Hampshire allows you to not get scammed into paying that if you don't want to. I hope it comes across the border into Maine, where I just moved to.

Anyways, just because you overpaid for your car and want to protect your investment doesn't mean that people who were smart and bought a cheap car should also have to pay, so that your coverage is cheaper.

Don't think one is quite up to date on car insurance terminology.

"Collision" is an optional or extra insurance coverage. Nothing to do with basic insurance.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:42 AM

491 posts, read 1,367,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
This is not correct. Cars can be bought fairly cheap (I just bought one for $2000 in July), and when you pay that little for it, it doesn't make sense to pay for insurance on it.
Glad you can replace your own property. It cost over $50,000 to treat (not fix) my wife's soft tissue injuries after getting rear-ended at a stop light by an UNDER insured driver. $2000 to fix her car which was just cosmetic. Do you have that much $ sitting around? Neither did the driver that hit us. We hadn't been in an accident before. And we didn't plan on getting rear-ended that day.

This was just a moderate fender bender. Imagine if the cars were total losses and/or loss of life or limbs.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:00 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,105,070 times
my son was hit by an uninsured motorist while riding his bicycle - thousands of dollars in medical bills for ME, nothing for the woman that hit him because she didn't have a pot to **** in.

She was furious that I turned her into MV for driving without insurance and causing an accident with personal injury. They pulled her license (not sure for how long), but it made no difference, she drove anyway.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:28 PM

324 posts, read 710,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
These are 2011 figures according to the website Insure.com:

To see how your state ranks, here is the full list of states and average insurance costs for each:
1. Michigan, $2,541
2. Louisiana, $2,453
3. Oklahoma, $2,197
4. Montana, $2,190
I paid $1100 on two new vehicles in MT in 2005-07

Quote:
8. New Mexico, $1,896
Paid $995 on a brand new truck there in 2008-09

Quote:
14. Wyoming, $1,714
Paid $1000 on two new trucks there in 2010

Quote:
17. Georgia, $1,670
Paid $1200 on a new truck there in 2011

Those are with State Farm

Quote:
29. Florida, $1,476
No way, no how - FL is waay more expensive

Old 08-10-2013, 10:47 AM

611 posts, read 1,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
I paid $1100 on two new vehicles in MT in 2005-07

Paid $995 on a brand new truck there in 2008-09

Paid $1000 on two new trucks there in 2010

Paid $1200 on a new truck there in 2011

Those are with State Farm

No way, no how - FL is waay more expensive
If I remember correctly, these were 2012 figures. Clearly, they will vary. I paid less for insurance in Washington than my friend in a neighboring county simply because there was a higher rate of vehicle thefts in her county. Either way, my point is that NH does not have sky high insurance rates due to higher number of uninsured motorists. Although it makes for a sound argument that NH citizens would not be insured because legally they do not have to meaning the ones that choose to be insured would pay more to cover the cost of the uninsured....the data does not back this argument up. Our rates tend to be toward the lower end of average or even below average and the number of insured drivers is fairly average as well.

In other words: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,874,048 times
You have to be crazy insane to not have insurance. With oput any if you are rear ended stopped at a red light, that accident is your fault.

AND you are required in NH to have CASH in excess of 100,000 I think in escrow to avoid having ins.

it ain't life for free or Die here

Get ins or start walking.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:09 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,105,070 times
'AND you are required in NH to have CASH in excess of 100,000 I think in escrow to avoid having ins.'

name the law that says that. Any moron can skip insurance if they choose to.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:21 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,874,048 times
My ins said so to me..... They also told me that if I had none and was hit already stopped it would be my fault.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:46 PM

611 posts, read 1,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
My ins said so to me..... They also told me that if I had none and was hit already stopped it would be my fault.
Of course your insurance told you...they will only gain by telling you this. I agree that it is financially prudent to carry insurance, I don't have a team of attorneys or a stock pile of money at my fingertips so it is worth it to me to protect myself from financial ruin. But, I do think that what your insurance told you was incorrect. The following is from DMV.org and the only info I could find at nh.gov was that the state could force a driver to carry an SR-22 due to their driving record.

Unlike almost every other state, New Hampshire does not automatically require motorists to carry an auto liability insurance policy or provide some of financial backing in order to drive a vehicle within its boundaries.

However, you may be forced to carry liability insurance if you have:
  • Been involved in an accident.
  • A conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Multiple reckless driving convictions.
  • A traffic violation conviction that triggers a review.
Ways to Establish Financial Responsibility

If the state does insist that you prove you're financially responsible enough to operate a vehicle, your only option is to carry acceptable levels of bodily injury and property damage SR-22 liability insurance. You'll likely have to carry the coverage for three years, although the terms vary.

New Hampshire Liability Insurance Requirements for Private Passenger Vehicles

To meet the Division of Motor Vehicle's (DMV) insurance requirements, you must have at least the following protection:
  • $25,000 of coverage for injuries or death occurring to one person in an accident.
  • $50,000 of coverage for injuries or deaths occurring to more than one person in an accident.
  • $25,000 of property damage coverage per accident.
Those who aren't required to have this coverage should consider doing so. In fact, financial professionals recommend having much more insurance protection than this to cover your financial assets and protect your future. Accidents can be costly, and may result in lawsuits that could devastate your financial health.

Additionally, the DMV can suspend your license if you're liable for an accident and can't pay for the injured party's property and medical bills.

See our Types of Coverage section to learn about the kinds of protection available to you.

Proof of Insurance and Financial Responsibility

To prove that you're covered by acceptable levels of protection, you'll need to show your insurance certificate or identification card.

Be aware, though, that if you let your SR-22 coverage lapse, your insurer will notify the DMV.

Penalties for Failure to Maintain Financial Responsibility

What happens if you have no proof of insurance due to you not having a current policy?

Your license and registration could be suspended. You'll then have to demonstrate proof that you now are carrying acceptable levels of liability insurance, and pay any related reinstatement fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire