Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 07:26 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
But any liberal minded area is going to make a bit more of a challenge to live frugally.A funny paradox dont you think?
Ummm... aren't conservatives the frugal ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 08:41 AM

193 posts, read 533,907 times
When I say that Portsmouth is pricey, I mean simply the house prices, bang for the buck. The tax rate in Portsmouth is actually pretty good compared to many surrounding areas, and consumables are not overpriced as they are, say, in York Maine. Basically, $350K might find you a small house with no yard in Portsmouth, while for the same amount you could find a larger house with a yard further from the coast. You pay to be closer to the beach.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:26 AM

371 posts, read 1,161,422 times
Another point is that some of the old topics on this are comparing the Portsmouth are to other parts of NH.

The cost of housing in the Portsmouth (eastern rockingham county) in more expensive than the rest of NH (except perhaps a couple second-home pockets are the lake)

Just do a search and compare a the kind of house you can get in the Manchester area to around Portsmouth - much more house

Old 08-26-2010, 12:16 PM

257 posts, read 619,136 times
The cost of living is high on the northern seacoast, but is fairly reasonable on the south end--especially here in Seabrook. If you are not fond of taxes, Seabrook is just about the best place in the country to live in, IMHO.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:35 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The seacoast towns, along with a couple of towns inland, are in NH's "green" as in dollars green belt so housing prices are higher and have stayed so for the last few years. The town is still somewhat affordable and is a very neat place to live.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:16 AM

80 posts, read 276,008 times
Default I don't get it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Have been reading this board's old postings, and, more than once, has someone brought up the fact that the Portsmouth area is pricey. Exactly what do you mean that it is expensive? Are the costs of things (toothpaste, movies, food, etc.) tourist trap pricey or what?
I did a cost of living comparison with Portsmouth vs. Austin, and Sperling's Cost of Living Comparison had Austin at a tad higher than Portsmouth!
Little confused as to what all of you mean by Portsmouth is expensive. Please explain for those of us who aren't there.
I have wondered this same thing. Perplexed and waiting for an explanation. I liken this to my grandpa's statements Of "back in my day bread only cost...".
I have lived here for the past year and a half after moving from California and living in CO, WA, OR. In my experience it is hardly pricey, actually I am saving money living here.

Another poster explained it as maybe being a comparison to other parts of NH and I would have to agree. If you are basing that solely on a cost to cost comparison of real estate and what you get for your money. Although I would then find the statement "the Portsmouth area is pricey" a little short sided. Yes, there is a premium to be paid for location, that is a fact no matter what locale we are talking about. In defense, Portsmouth has a lot going for it and rightly so real estate should cost more here than in other parts of the state.

I pay approx 2.3% in property tax living in the Seacoast area, which people here think is high. I paid most recently 1.5% in CA, however along with that I paid 8.25% sales tax on everything, approx 9% in state income tax, my homeowner insurance was double the cost, car insurance almost double, car registration was about $70 more a year and the list goes on. It cost me more to live in California, you get my point.

I'll pay the 9% meals tax, fill my belly at a fabulous non-chain local restaurant and remain perplexed.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:43 PM

193 posts, read 533,907 times
As a comparison, if we were talking about states rather than towns, I would say that California is pricey. Naturally, you are paying more to live in California, just as you are paying more to live in Portsmouth. It's not meant to disparage the town -- quite the opposite, I'm sure most people think Portsmouth is wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire