Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 03:11 PM

276 posts, read 447,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Yes, people in NH drink a lot of beer, would you be happier if pot were popular instead?

Having lived in both Wisconsin and New Hampshire, my observation is that Wisconsin residents had a MUCH less responsible attitude about drinking and drunk-driving (in 2009) than what I see in New Hampshire now. While NH is often proud of our crazy politicians and strange customs, many Wisconsinites I met were proud of their elected officials records of multiple DUI arrests.

There's a suggestion that NH's high ranking for sales volume is partly sales to residents of Massachusetts, Vermont, and Maine, driving down the rankings for Massachusetts sales even though a portion of beer sold in New Hampshire is consumed in MA/VT/ME by tax evaders.
I have a Wisconsinite co-worker who was dismayed when he moved to a more populated area (DC metro) that he had to stop drunk driving because there were a lot more cars and a lot more police. He said in Wisconsin he just set the cruise control to the speed limit and drove home.

Not to besmirch the good people of Wisconsin, but it's certainly an interesting take on things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 04:07 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,536,268 times
Quote:
Yes, people in NH drink a lot of beer, would you be happier if pot were popular instead?

Having lived in both Wisconsin and New Hampshire, my observation is that Wisconsin residents had a MUCH less responsible attitude about drinking and drunk-driving (in 2009) than what I see in New Hampshire now. While NH is often proud of our crazy politicians and strange customs, many Wisconsinites I met were proud of their elected officials records of multiple DUI arrests.

There's a suggestion that NH's high ranking for sales volume is partly sales to residents of Massachusetts, Vermont, and Maine, driving down the rankings for Massachusetts sales even though a portion of beer sold in New Hampshire is consumed in MA/VT/ME by tax evaders.

Uh yes I would be happier.. Not too many violent homicides committed under the influence, same for forcible rapes, child molestations, spousal abuse, bar fights etc

Old 07-31-2013, 06:43 AM

238 posts, read 314,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge1 View Post
try harder! who is #2? Wisconsin?
According to this map Wisconsin is #5.

The data for the map came from The Beer Institute.

"Beer... Now there's a temporary solution." -- Homer Simpson.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:24 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,681,946 times
Quote:

Yes. I have seen many violent mean drunks not so with potheads.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:47 PM

139 posts, read 350,929 times
legalize pot and tax it and a lot of the financial shortfalls will disappear(imho)

Old 07-31-2013, 06:18 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,340,975 times
Quote:
Why Yes I would

Old 07-31-2013, 07:25 PM

820 posts, read 1,014,994 times
There is certainly a problem with alcoholism,pill and drug addiction in NH. Alcohol is relatively cheap here so that may be a contributing factor. Not sure how it compares with other states but on the bright side we don't have the meth problems like many of the midwest and west states.
One of my favorite movies,although sad is 'Affliction' with Nick Nolte. It is based in small town NH and alcoholism has a big part in it.It captures the feeling of small town dysfunctional NH life well but could work for many places.

And BTW in my opinion "pot" is addictive and just as much a problem. Although it is not as responsible for driving accidents,diseases and ruined families as alcohol it is still all too easily abused by irresponsible teenagers and adults here turning them into psychologically addicted potheads with serious motivational and personality issues.This is true all over the U.S.

Abuse is clearly the problem, in my opinion,,not the substances themselves.

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 07-31-2013 at 07:39 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 07:43 PM

611 posts, read 1,202,861 times
Well, apparently NH ranked #4 in the top stoner states as well. Maybe the drunks are too stoned to cause too much trouble ;P

4. New Hampshire*Pictures - CBS News

Old 08-01-2013, 05:57 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,213,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinut74 View Post
legalize pot and tax it and a lot of the financial shortfalls will disappear(imho)
While I think any person should be allowed to ingest or consume whatever they want without government intrusion, giving the state government MORE money will only cause the state government to grow and their need to consume even more taxes will increase.

Giving the government more of our money never works out for us, well those of us who actually pay taxes.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:07 AM

820 posts, read 1,014,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
While I think any person should be allowed to ingest or consume whatever they want without government intrusion, giving the state government MORE money will only cause the state government to grow and their need to consume even more taxes will increase.

Giving the government more of our money never works out for us, well those of us who actually pay taxes.
I agree with this.More taxes don't equal better living or quality of life.They just create more unnecessary and incompetent bureaucracy usually. Of course some taxing of the American citizen is necessary but a less is more approach should work more efficiently.

But heavy taxing of harmful useless substances such as tobacco and hard alcohol I have no problem with.The govt. should not be in the business of enabling alcoholics and nicotine addicts by selling the product cheap.Prohibition doesn't work obviously but on the other hand providing easy access and cheap costs only make it easier for problems to develop.

Having a law against planting a weed in your garden if you want to makes absolutely no sense.Eliminating the need for unscrupulous and criminal suppliers is a first step to the solution.

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 08-01-2013 at 08:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire