Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:31 AM

29 posts, read 64,189 times

Advertisements

We're considering NH after my husband retires from the military. Commute won't be a big issue, since we're hoping to live off of his pension with small jobs here and there. Schools need to be good, but homeschooling is always an option for us. (kids are in charter school now here in CA.) I'd love a town with a local, sustainable movement, a bit artsy perhaps, with family stuff to do. Price can probably vary, since we shouldn't have any debt when we move, so mortgage and monthly bills for electric/etc will be the only bills we pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 12:31 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,046 times
When you say artsy the only two towns in NH that come close are Exeter and Portsmouth, both very nice places to live.

If you're coming from southern CA and never experienced a new England or new england like winter before you're going to think you've moved to Siberia.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:19 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
You are in for a huge culture shock if you are moving from California to New Hampshire.

The population of San Diego is more then the entire state of New Hampshire.

You had best decide whether you wish rural living or city living.

And best to rent a place before purchasing.

Not sure where the nearest PX/Commissary is.
There is one VA hospital in Manchester and a few satellite offices around state.
The Old Soldiers Home is in Tilton. This is where you can dump your husband when he gets too old and cranky.

There are multiple threads about schools and opinions are all over the place.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:10 PM

OK...

I'm actually from Boston, and we've lived pretty much all over, but thanks for the warning, I think?
We would like something between rural and city living. I am more a fan of rural, as we enjoyed the space in TN, but I like being able to get to good places to eat. We have an RV and will be staying in that before buying.
Really I'm just looking for info on where the more community oriented places are. Thanks.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:11 PM

I will check out Exeter and Portsmouth, thank you.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:16 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,169,472 times
I'd also recommend looking into the Hanover/Lebanon area - definitely bigger on the local/sustainable front out here compared to other parts of the state with less agriculture, although farther removed from urban areas than, say, the Seacoast. The college brings the arts with it. Keene might be an option to consider in this category as well, but I'm unsure about the schools.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:23 PM

Thanks, I will definitely look into those. They sound like my cup of tea.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:28 PM

611 posts, read 1,204,583 times
I believe Peterborough is known for being an artsy town. It's close to Keene for shopping. I don't know anything about the schools though. I would also back up Verseau's suggestion of looking into the Hanover/Lebanon area. You will find plenty of cultural activities for a small town and the schools are well rated. White River Junction is across the river and has the VA hospital.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:18 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Hanover/Lebanon is too isolated.
Hanover is a nice quaint New England town only because of Dartmouth College. RE prices are high.
And other than the College and the hospital quite isolated. Lebanon is an old mill town that has seen better days. Carter Work Clothes was a big name manufacturer in Lebanon - but long gone now. Urban Renewal of the 1960's killed the downtown Lebanon area.

Take a drive in the triangle between Newton, NH - Kingston, NH - and Kensington, NH. Beautiful country rural towns/areas - yet near enough to the sea coast and highways to Boston and to Maine.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:59 PM

73 posts, read 118,703 times
Peterborough and Portsmouth are probably the two most "artsy" NH towns. Portsmouth is on the coast whereas Peterborough is in the foothills of the Monadnock mountains. Peterborough is the more "rural" of the two, for sure, but it definitely has a community-feel to it, and lots of cool little shops and art galleries, etc.

Also, I kind of doubt anyone coming from CA is going to perceive real estate prices as being "high" anywhere in NH, by comparison. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire