Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:41 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times

Advertisements

Thinking Manchester will be losing population the quickest in NH. Don't see any allure of residing in a place like that.

It now has at least four large building/store vacancies including Shaws, two stop and shops and Lowes. There are also countless other vacant store buildings that have been vacant for quite some time. The business climate apparently stinks there. Doesn't seem like very many start up businesses that are successful there.

I see a lot of large Gatsas signs for the mayor voting. Can anyone tell me what is appealing about this mayor and what he does to help the city? It seems to be a 'secret' ( Don't worry I won't tell anyone).

So what is it about the place that makes it so lousy for business? Why so many vacant stores? Is it just the companies themselves fault for failure to provide viable products and services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 07:59 AM
SFT

79 posts, read 207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Thinking Manchester will be losing population the quickest in NH. Don't see any allure of residing in a place like that.

It now has at least four large building/store vacancies including Shaws, two stop and shops and Lowes. There are also countless other vacant store buildings that have been vacant for quite some time. The business climate apparently stinks there. Doesn't seem like very many start up businesses that are successful there.

I see a lot of large Gatsas signs for the mayor voting. Can anyone tell me what is appealing about this mayor and what he does to help the city? It seems to be a 'secret' ( Don't worry I won't tell anyone).

So what is it about the place that makes it so lousy for business? Why so many vacant stores? Is it just the companies themselves fault for failure to provide viable products and services?
I really like Manchester. I worked there for a while and still visit the area when I can.

I don't think that a few vacant stores means that the city is falling. Realistically, it was just a "correction" of the local market. Those companies thought that the area could support it, but in fact they were not needed, or could not run their businesses efficiently.

The area is no major hub like Boston, but there certainly seem to be some successful businesses in the area.

As far as the housing goes, nothing can truly be overpriced for very long. This is all a matter of supply and demand. If nobody wanted to live there, the prices would be low. If the prices are too high, there will be little demand. Manchester is within a commuting distance to the Boston-area (if you can't find work in Manchester-area), is a comfortable drive to the lakes, mountains, and ocean.

Let the numbers speak for themselves (taken from BeanGroup, likely taken from elsewhere):

Berlin:
Median Price : $69,170
Days on Market(avg.) : 252

Manchester
Median Price : $176,108
Days on Market(avg.) : 81

Salem
Median Price : $264,036
Days on Market(avg.) : 102

Boston
Median Price : $586,281
Days on Market(avg.) : 105

Notice a trend here? Homes in Manchester are moving in a third of the time that homes in Berlin are. Extreme example? Maybe, but people are buying homes in Manchester for some reason!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:42 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,652 times
Yeah, the OP just posted some of the chain bussiness's that are failing, im not so sure how this means manchester is failing..

lowes, stop and shop, shaws, failing bussiness everywhere, not just manchester.. Manchester looks pretty alive and active to me. Drive through Berlin or any other medium sized mill city in new england and tell me manchester is failing...

Old 08-22-2013, 09:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Manchester has some very neat neighborhoods like the north end of Elm Street. It also has the west side near Catholic Medical Center. The Old Mill buildings are full of service and industrial tenants and the surrounding industrial tracts are nearly full and more are being developed. The failure of the big retail stores were caused by national corporate misjudgment than the local market. Manchester even has its own rush hour.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,432 times
You know, I'm surprised at the OP's take on Manchester. I'm by no means a big fan, and I'm disturbed by what appears to be an increase in crime. That said, though, the Elm Street area and Amoskeag mill area are absolutely thriving compared to just 5 years ago when I lived there. I chose to rent there when I first moved to NH and didn't know where to live, so I just picked the biggest city. I'm now in a very different area, but part of me would really like to return to Manchester - despite the crime in parts of the city - because the downtown is actually now bordering on "cool." (And I say that having lived in a couple very large and "cool" cities. I know Manchester is nothing like those cities, but it now does have a small pocket of niceness - nice shops, stuff to do.)

I don't think failure of chain stores based far outside of Manchester (or NH) is indicative of some sort of problem in Manchester. There are too many Lowe's and similar stores in the area, and I think that the new Market Basket (a store which I personally can't stand, but people seem to love) drove business away from both Shaw's and Stop & Shop. A city the size of Manchester can only support so many empty big box buildings... they're built new for a specific store, the store goes out of business, what else can you put in? We already have all the major chains. The Circuit City space in Concord has been vacant for probably 4+ years.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:33 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
You know, I'm surprised at the OP's take on Manchester. I'm by no means a big fan, and I'm disturbed by what appears to be an increase in crime. That said, though, the Elm Street area and Amoskeag mill area are absolutely thriving compared to just 5 years ago when I lived there. I chose to rent there when I first moved to NH and didn't know where to live, so I just picked the biggest city. I'm now in a very different area, but part of me would really like to return to Manchester - despite the crime in parts of the city - because the downtown is actually now bordering on "cool." (And I say that having lived in a couple very large and "cool" cities. I know Manchester is nothing like those cities, but it now does have a small pocket of niceness - nice shops, stuff to do.)

I don't think failure of chain stores based far outside of Manchester (or NH) is indicative of some sort of problem in Manchester. There are too many Lowe's and similar stores in the area, and I think that the new Market Basket (a store which I personally can't stand, but people seem to love) drove business away from both Shaw's and Stop & Shop. A city the size of Manchester can only support so many empty big box buildings... they're built new for a specific store, the store goes out of business, what else can you put in? We already have all the major chains. The Circuit City space in Concord has been vacant for probably 4+ years.

I agree 100%, i like you comment on "bordering cool" i agree, go down elm street on a summer night around 8pm, its a pretty happening scene! (for what its worth)

Fortunatly the lowes that opened and closed in all of what a year in hooksett? is now being turned into a bass-pro shops. I hate when these large chain companies feel the need to completely bulldoze forest to build new buildings while there is an empty suitable building nearby that could be re-worked to meet their needs.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,432 times
That is good to know about the empty Lowes! It drove me crazy that they developed the area only to almost immediately go out of business and leave the building sitting empty.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:31 PM

123 posts, read 247,690 times
...hard to shed a tear for a "big box" store that fails.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:48 PM

491 posts, read 1,372,459 times
I'd like it if owners of stand-alone retail buildings had a contract that said they had to level the building if it stays empty for 2+ years. These cheap steel/concrete buildings are disposable and usually get torn down or massively re-done when a new chain moves in anyway. I'm not saying a park should be built, just remove the building so it doesn't become a graffiti billboard until they next store moves in.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:15 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Yeah, the OP just posted some of the chain bussiness's that are failing, im not so sure how this means manchester is failing..

lowes, stop and shop, shaws, failing bussiness everywhere, not just manchester.. Manchester looks pretty alive and active to me. Drive through Berlin or any other medium sized mill city in new england and tell me manchester is failing...
Agreed! A couple of years ago Lowes closed their Haverhill, MA store. It did not mean Haverhill is failing, it meant Lowes miscalculated and put that store too close to their nearby store in Salem, NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire