Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 01:27 AM

72 posts, read 137,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Another point of welfare is ALL the money and support given to welfare recipients is spent on purchases of food, goods and services. These purchases devolve to the bottom line of many, many industries with agriculture being the most heavily subsidized. Yes, the direct recipients benefit from the payments but their suppliers and the banks and the owners eventually benefit more.

I an in my late 60's (definite miracle) and have been working for over (I had a step father that traded food for work) 60 years. Yet, I am not concerned that a few choose to "work the system". At least they are spending what they receive and that benefits our economy far more than hoarding the stock market and investment bums do by sequestering their money in offshore "banks". IMHO the top 1% are the real American Welfare Class. Like the "Welfare Cheats" they also do not have to work for a living but are paid far more.
I would rather spend MY MONEY on MY OWN FOOD. Welfare was established as a helping hand. Not a life style. What you are saying doesnt make any sense.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
I did not say BC works 50% of the time. 50% of pregnancies are unintended, and the majority are failed methods of contraception.

google is your friend. Unintended pregnancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

an annual one BILLION dollars in corporate welfare to companies like Wal-Mart.
Wal-Mart: The Ultimate Corporate Welfare Queen | Alternet

Amazon, Staples, Apple, Dell, Office Depot, Walmart, Sears, Office Max, Liberty Media Corporation, CDW Corporation, Best Buy, Newegg, Netflix, Sony USA, Granger, Costco, Macys, Victoria Secret, LL Bean, Target and SystemMax are as close to slave labor as you will find. These companies avoid paying taxes and get around labor laws by only hiring temps.

The corporate share of the overall tax burden has declined as the labor force’s share has increased.

Corporate taxes need to be reformed to ensure that the profits of American multinationals are taxed by the United States when those profits are earned. Congress could do something, like ending procedures that allow companies to easily shelter profits abroad.
All these companies have employees. So they have to pay employees to work. Slaves werent paid. I worked Mcdonalds going to college so I could get a better job. If you are still working an entry level job when your 30 is your problem. There should be a life time limit on welfare. If you have 3 kids on welfare, again your problem not mine. If you cant afford to have kids, then wait.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I like the Danish welfare system. In order to collect benefits, the recipients must also become street sweepers, as in using a broom to clean the sidewalks of litter.

But seriously, out of wedlock babies are used by women for extra public handouts and/or trying to tie themselves to the baby daddy. And instead of just paying them cash benefits, they should only get training in order to get better job skills to make more than minimum wage. I'm about teaching them to fish, not giving them free cans of tunafish.
Another good idea. The only thing stopping it is are the lazy ass people that use the system. If you REALLY need it, its our responsibility as a society to take care of these people. These woman that are having 2 or more kids, no father etc dont deserve it.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:50 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Here's another suggestion, those on welfare, food stamps and/or living Section 8 housing should have their voting rights suspended until they start being productive citizens again.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:08 AM

238 posts, read 315,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
Add in powdered milk, and I remember that too.

-Mike
Rice. My father refuses to eat rice to this day because too many of his childhood meals consisted mostly of government supplied rice. His father was an alcoholic. I'm sure denying my relatives assistance would have magically fixed everything. Funny how my father managed to raise a family and instill a proper work ethic in all his children.

Because there are some bad apples in the bushel (I'm still looking for real numbers here, anyone got any?) some people want to discard the entire bushel, cut down the apple tree, rip out the stump, and salt the earth. It's a bit overkill IMHO.

Miu, I'm surprised you haven't contacted Valerie C to get her to name names so you can report them.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:13 AM

238 posts, read 315,160 times
Quote:
...Corporations are the Welfare cheats in this country, not the children.
Think by Numbers » Government Spends More on Corporate Welfare Subsidies than Social Welfare Programs

Taxpayers support corporations at a rate twice as high as supporting the poor.
Exactly.

There seems to be this growing perception that a large fraction of welfare recipients are morally inferior. Yet business malfeasance routinely gets a pass.

If we accept that poor people are somehow morally inferior then what are we to think about the business owners who knowingly dump carcinogens into our air, water, and soil? What about those companies who cook their books or embezzle from the pension fund? What about the billionaires who cheat our country out of millions of revenue by hiding their money overseas?

Shouldn't we also find these people morally repugnant? Perhaps even especially repugnant since they're more likely to be better educated, come from "good" families, were already wealthier than 98% of the population, and so on?

Or maybe we should accept that a certain fraction of the population are cheats and scoundrels regardless of socioeconomic background? I would say they all deserve to be treated with the same level of scorn. Why white collar criminals so often get nothing more than a slap on the wrist boggles my mind when the damage caused and number of lives they impact far, far exceeds that of the common street criminal.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:18 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,265 times
Quote:
Here's another suggestion, those on welfare, food stamps and/or living Section 8 housing should have their voting rights suspended until they start being productive citizens again.
The lowest income levels have the lowest voter turn-out. Taking away voting rights isn't much of an incentive to those that are least likely to vote.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:23 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
Quote:
very judgmental to believe these are not productive people - most people have jobs, but if you are only making minimum wage, you can qualify for aid because it's needed

they are unfortunate, not criminals.

Slaves used to receive housing, clothing and healthcare. These items are now considered luxuries.

it's a very slippery slope you describe - should housewives be banned? how about the unemployed?

what about the working woman with 3 illegit kids who refuses to marry because she's better off financially for income tax purposes without claiming her partners income? what about the deadbeat dads that refuse to pay child support? Should they be banned from voting too?

just put the poor, the ill and disabled, the elderly in jail.....out of sight, out of mind.

That's ^ satire, for those unable to figure that out.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:02 PM

Slaves also had no rights. They were owned by other people. The could never work and make a better life for themselves. There are people unwilling to make a better life for themselves or their children. That's the difference. In this country if you work hard and make good decisions, you can do anything you want. No one is holding you back.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:34 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Quote:
very judgmental to believe these are not productive people - most people have jobs, but if you are only making minimum wage, you can qualify for aid because it's needed

they are unfortunate, not criminals.

Slaves used to receive housing, clothing and healthcare. These items are now considered luxuries.

it's a very slippery slope you describe - should housewives be banned? how about the unemployed?

what about the working woman with 3 illegit kids who refuses to marry because she's better off financially for income tax purposes without claiming her partners income? what about the deadbeat dads that refuse to pay child support? Should they be banned from voting too?

just put the poor, the ill and disabled, the elderly in jail.....out of sight, out of mind.

That's ^ satire, for those unable to figure that out.
Very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: