Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 05:33 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times

Advertisements

So, how does it actually feel to know there are an increasing amount of people collecting welfare at a higher rate of compensation that don't actually do much to improve their situation "enjoying' their paid vacations and supporting their substance addictions ya its New Vegas whoo hoo party it up!
But seriously, here is a link to an article that may require further evaluation.

Study claiming some NH welfare recipients get $37k a year raises eyebrows | New Hampshire Politics

Old 09-01-2013, 06:10 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,277 times
Wait... did you actually read the article?

Disregarding the fact, for a moment, that this study comes from a partisan think tank...

Quote:
a state welfare official says few, if any, get that much because they aren't eligible to collect from every available program.

"The study is structurally unsound," Terry Smith, director of the state Division of Family Assistance, said Friday.
Quote:
Welfare recipients receiving TANF are required to be involved in work-related activities for at least 30 hours a week, or 20 hours a week for parents with children younger than 6.
Quote:
The primary cash program for the poor, according to the study, is called Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).

Smith said TANF provides a monthly cash payment of $675 for a household of three in New Hampshire. Last week, there were 7,926 people in the program ... including 5,551 children, he said.
7,926 people on welfare = 0.6% of the NH population ... most of whom, as the article notes, are children - and many of whom are disabled, as mentioned later. Yes, clearly these freeloading moochers are stealing most of our paychecks.

The widespread myth of the drug-addicted "welfare queen" is a convenient political tool, but it's not based in factual evidence. In states that have implemented substance testing for welfare recipients, about 2% of applicants have tested positive, a rate lower than the general population.

Why don't we demand to drug test politicians or police officers, who cost taxpayers much more per person?

In the aftermath of one of the worst meltdowns of the financial system in history, politicians and lobbyists are keen to distract us from the real cause of our bankruptcy by turning us against the poor and other easy targets. I agree that there's certainly room for reform and improvement in our social assistance programs, but claiming that most welfare recipients are living the "high life" off of your paycheck is just wrong.

Last edited by Verseau; 09-01-2013 at 06:20 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 06:39 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Wait... did you actually read the article?

Disregarding the fact, for a moment, that this study comes from a partisan think tank...

7,926 people on welfare = 0.6% of the NH population ... most of whom, as the article notes, are children - and many of whom are disabled, as mentioned later. Yes, clearly these freeloading moochers are stealing most of our paychecks.

The widespread myth of the drug-addicted "welfare queen" is a convenient political tool, but it's not based in factual evidence. In states that have implemented substance testing for welfare recipients, about 2% of applicants have tested positive, a rate lower than the general population.

Why don't we demand to drug test politicians or police officers, who cost taxpayers much more per person?

In the aftermath of one of the worst meltdowns of the financial system in history, politicians and lobbyists are keen to distract us from the real cause of our bankruptcy by turning us against the poor and other easy targets. I agree that there's certainly room for reform and improvement in our social assistance programs, but claiming that most welfare recipients are living the "high life" off of your paycheck is just wrong.

Well said. People living in those low income housing places aren't living it up at all they are depressing awful places to live.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:52 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Any of you can quote all the studies that you want, but there are people out there who have learned how to WORK the system. I'm not proud of the fact that someone I'm related to is COMPLETELY dependent on public programs. Hasn't worked in years, decades, actually, and doesn't look for work, is NOT disabled, not social security. They live in a very nice 2 bedroom apartment (even though they lost custody of their only child due to substance abuse) complete with clubhouse and swimming pool--that they pay less than $300/month for, all utilities included (except cable) thanks to Section 8/voucher. Has an EBT card and proudly tells all the friends on facebook about the lobster, scallops, etc. that they are having for dinner. Full medical and completely free, even got braces for the daughter's teeth, yes, fully paid by the system. Lost their drivers license a year or so ago (after running an 80+ year old person off the road and blowing a .26), yet even after losing custody of a child and a drivers license, ALL programs are still in place and life is good when you're dividing your time between sitting by the pool and going to the beach all summer long while the rest of us work... If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it.

I just had to add this in, since I'm getting ready to write a check for the 150 gallons of oil that was just delivered to my house on Friday: I mentioned that utilities are included-this means FREE heat, right? In winter, while many of the working people that I know are taking steps to conserve every ounce of fuel that they can by caulking and taping up plastic over their windows (the type that you tighten up with a hair dryer), the person I referred to above opens up the windows to keep the air 'fresh' in the house because they smoke inside. When I expressed my surprise at why the windows were open when it was well under 32 degrees outside, the answer disgusted me: "Heat is free, so why not??"

Last edited by Valerie C; 09-01-2013 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: Had to add something in..

Old 09-01-2013, 10:59 PM

351 posts, read 271,510 times
It is very uncommon for someone on welfare to receive that much. I once heard from somone that they only get $50 weekly from welfare or $200 monthly. Also, I found out the more children you have the more welfare gives to your family. There are many programs which the government offers. For disability you will receive more depending on the amount of children you have. Once the child turns 18 the amount you will receive on disability lowers. It is best to do your research even just to be curious like I was. My friend was on welfare and told me that once on it was very hard getting off. It must of been she relied on it too much. She was in an abusive situation then had no choice but to turn to assistance. She is now doing better and has a job.
Most people on welfare I assume receive section 8 housing. In certain cases either the full or partial rent amount is paid for them. Welfare collecters mostly live in the projects while others live in better places. I did hear of someone on welfare who had a job which paid them cash. I am not too sure of that situation, but it seems very rare.

Overall, welfare does not give too much, and I am sure we would never be able to live off of that (I know I couldn't).

Old 09-01-2013, 11:29 PM

72 posts, read 138,061 times
There is no question the system is being abused. We should be making it harder, not easier to get welfare. There should be a limit on how long you can collect on these handouts. I am reading about people using EBT cards here in NH to buy cigarettes. There should be a limit on what can be bought with EBT cards. These are our tax dollars! This isnt a study, this happened in Peterborough! Drug testing is a good idea. I am randomly drug tested where I work. If I fail I lose my job. It should be the same for people taking money from the state. The police are doing a JOB, and without looking it up, I'm sure they are randomly tested too.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:34 PM

72 posts, read 138,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Well said. People living in those low income housing places aren't living it up at all they are depressing awful places to live.
They choose to live there.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:37 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Yes, there are drug addicts out there. Heroin, meth, prescription pills and stuff I have never heard of.
What do we do - shoot them?
Put them in jail at taxpayer expense in our over crowed prisons?
What about the disabled veteran. I've seen some walking around. Or the violently raped woman. That whole PSTD thing is fake anyway isn't it. Just a con to get welfare money.
And all of those old people. That 85 year old grandmother should retrain herself and get a job. Instead of living in that dumpy single wide.

I have a neighbor who has a friend who knows someone on welfare. Those people drive a Lincoln and a Cadillac. Have a summer home on Lake Winnipeaukee. Take vacations in Europe. All on welfare money.
It's a fact.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:39 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Yes, there are drug addicts out there. Heroin, meth, prescription pills and stuff I have never heard of.
What do we do - shoot them?
Put them in jail at taxpayer expense in our over crowed prisons?
What about the disabled veteran. I've seen some walking around. Or the violently raped woman. That whole PSTD thing is fake anyway isn't it. Just a con to get welfare money.
And all of those old people. That 85 year old grandmother should retrain herself and get a job. Instead of living in that dumpy single wide.

I have a neighbor who has a friend who knows someone on welfare. Those people drive a Lincoln and a Cadillac. Have a summer home on Lake Winnipeaukee. Take vacations in Europe. All on welfare money.
It's a fact.

Thats how it usually goes. I used to deal with many on welfare and they had old ugly cars or no car, crummy apartments, no clothes or shopped walmart, never took vacations.....not a life I was jealous of one bit.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:50 AM

238 posts, read 315,276 times
What percentage of the people on welfare are abusing the system?

What percentage of the money dedicated to welfare is wasted?

How much money/effort would it take to reform the system and would that money exceed the projected savings from reforming the system? (e.g. how much would our taxes go *up* if there was mandatory drug testing for all welfare recipients?)

How many people would still be able to game the system after said reforms are enacted (e.g. switch from welfare to disability -- you may have heard that nearly 1 in 4 residents in Hale County, Alabama collect disability checks from the Gov. http://www.offthechartsblog.org/wp-c...-28-12bud1.jpg)

How many people who actually need welfare would now fall through the cracks should said reform be enacted? Is everyone OK with letting some legitimately needy people become destitute? Or is there some magic bullet reform that will only hit people abusing the system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: