Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:35 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
To be honest, I cringed when reading that the OP has a nail salon business. I was fine with the clothing business, but nail salons run by Asians is just not something I am proud of being a part of as an Asian American woman. No matter how trendy their products. Asian nail salons are just a negative stereotype for me.

Maybe the college girls will want their nails done.
But from what I see in NH is that the adult women don't get all gussied up like they do in the Boston Metro area... and actually I hope that the simple NH style will never change. So I hope that the OP eventually finds some other type of business to do in NH. Anyway, I recommend Manchester, or Nashua and the Southern NH area where it's populated by people working in the Boston area.
Gee Aptor Hours, I did say that college girls might be potential customers for a nail salon.

I guess that the question is... are there enough potential customers there for Need4Seasons to have a successful business in Hanover, successful enough for him to pay his business bills and pay himself enough to support his family and the mortgage/property taxes on a house? How much does the average nail treatment cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 09:52 PM

128 posts, read 293,235 times
Default Maybe not

Quote:
Gee Aptor Hours, I did say that college girls might be potential customers for a nail salon.

I guess that the question is... are there enough potential customers there for Need4Seasons to have a successful business in Hanover, successful enough for him to pay his business bills and pay himself enough to support his family and the mortgage/property taxes on a house? How much does the average nail treatment cost?
From looking online, there is only one or two nail salons in the entire state with several hair salons offering nail services and from the feedback I am getting, maybe a nail salon business will not do well with the limited interest in such service. Thank you for all your input.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 PM

Unhappy Connecting with the locals

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I'm gonna guess that you have dreams that will not be fulfilled in New Hampshire.

If you are making a living and paying your bills with what you have now - then stay put.

You seem to be successful where you are presently. Too much of a gamble dumping all with:

No business education.
No marketing studies.
No written business plan.

In a state that is mostly rural. The state capital city of Concord only has a population of about 34,000.

Gamble it all away if you wish. I have seen too many relationships - too many marriages - gone.
Right here in New Hampshire. In attempts at starting small businesses.
I never said I did not have the three items you highlighted, I just didn't mention the business plan because I thought with me detailing my extensive business background that it would be self explanatory. We are a little less than a year away from our relocation efforts so I wanted post questions here as a way to connect with locals and people who are familiar with the area. It's always better to have the human connection than solely relying on data and statistics alone.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:35 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Seasons View Post
From looking online, there is only one or two nail salons in the entire state with several hair salons offering nail services and from the feedback I am getting, maybe a nail salon business will not do well with the limited interest in such service. Thank you for all your input.
Your research is flawed. Looking up "Nail Salon" on Yelp in the zip code 03063 (Nashua), I get 16 salons in Nashua with "nail" in the name. Two or three of them I can walk to from my house. This doesn't include dozens of other salons that don't have "nail" in their name but probably provide nail services. In addition to the 16 I found in Nashua, there are many more in surrounding towns like Hudson (stripmall haven) and Merrimack. It took me longer to type this post than do this Yelp search.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:59 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
Your research is flawed. Looking up "Nail Salon" on Yelp in the zip code 03063 (Nashua), I get 16 salons in Nashua with "nail" in the name. Two or three of them I can walk to from my house. This doesn't include dozens of other salons that don't have "nail" in their name but probably provide nail services. In addition to the 16 I found in Nashua, there are many more in surrounding towns like Hudson (stripmall haven) and Merrimack. It took me longer to type this post than do this Yelp search.
So in your opinion, does Nashua need another nail salon business?

Old 10-02-2013, 07:23 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,459 times
Quote:
So in your opinion, does Nashua need another nail salon business?
I have no idea. There are many businesses which I don't understand the size of the market. This is why I don't have the guts to start my own service business. I just can't imagine having enough volume to cover expenses and still match the salary I get working for a company. I talk myself out of it every time the thought crosses my mind.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,955 times
Quote:
I never said I did not have the three items you highlighted, I just didn't mention the business plan because I thought with me detailing my extensive business background that it would be self explanatory. We are a little less than a year away from our relocation efforts so I wanted post questions here as a way to connect with locals and people who are familiar with the area. It's always better to have the human connection than solely relying on data and statistics alone.
He doesn't want two more conservative votes in NH.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:12 PM

Smile I'm not surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
I'm not surprised that I'm not able to pull up much because the search engines don't particularly focus on Alaska. When ordering online we regularly get, "We ship to the US only" or "We don't do international shipping". I spoke to the school in Manchester but haven't had a chance to follow up or call the state for further information as we have a huge time difference. Plus I am juggling running my current businesses and taking care of our 16 month son. We are still in our infancy stage of researching doing business in NH but fitting in what we can on our free time. Thanks!

Old 10-03-2013, 07:27 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
"I spoke to the school in Manchester but haven't had a chance to follow up or call the state for further information as we have a huge time difference."

What is THE SCHOOL in Manchester?

Old 10-03-2013, 09:04 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,432 times
Quote:
I'm not surprised that I'm not able to pull up much because the search engines don't particularly focus on Alaska. When ordering online we regularly get, "We ship to the US only" or "We don't do international shipping".
?? I know some search engines have algorithms which show you relevant/local results first, but I can search for any random thing in NH from, say, Europe, and still get full results. Your search engine shouldn't somehow hide the many nail salons in NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire