Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 01:10 PM

11 posts, read 15,474 times

Advertisements

Let me start off by saying I've read nearly all the posts about the various towns in the southern NH area. But, it's our turn to visit/plan our relocation from Iowa! We will be visiting NH next weekend, so hope to narrow our list of areas to see with your help. This will be our second move as we are originally from Georgia. We are in our early 30's with one child.

My husband's job will be relocating us. His job will be based from our home, but he will travel in southern NH and north Boston/MA. As far NE as Manchester, as far NW as Dover, and as far south as Lynn, MA.

Based on geography, centrally locating ourselves within his territory would be Hampstead/Sandown area, which I am drawn to!

Here are basically our general requirements: family friendly, great schools (or a Christian private school within maybe a 30 minute drive for our 6yo), and hopefully a single family home under 300k. Would love to have new construction if possible, or something with New England charm , and lastly a good gymnastics facility with a boys program (also within a decent drive of 30-45 min max).

So far the towns we are considering are: Amherst, Auburn, Epping, Sandown, Chester, Fremont, Danville, Hampstead, Goffstown, New Boston, Barrington, Deerfield, and Lee.

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 01:53 PM

21 posts, read 28,569 times
Amherst

Old 10-06-2013, 02:54 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
"As far NE as Manchester, as far NW as Dover, and as far south as Lynn, MA."

Manchester is in the middle, but in the southern triangle. Dover is on the east coast...can't really go much further east.

New Boston, Goffstown and Deerfield are not that close to Hampstead...

Old 10-06-2013, 06:50 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,007,799 times
Here is a link to the gyms that offers boy's gymnastics:

NH Clubs - Men's Gymnastics, New Hampshire

Old 10-06-2013, 06:52 PM

Thanks so much for the link, that's a HUGE help!

Old 10-06-2013, 06:53 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Amherst...

Where in GA are you moving from I might be able to give you GA/NH comparisons.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:06 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,007,799 times
Amherst, Goffstown, and New Boston will be long drives when your hubby needs to get to Lynn, Mass.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:07 PM

You all think we can find something decent under 300k in Amherst? We would like 3 bedrooms and need a home office space (could be the formal dining room). Just don't want something that will need a lot of work.

flyonpa - we lived in many suburbs of Atlanta, but when we left we lived in Alpharetta. We also owned a property in Dawsonville (N GA mountains up 400) which is more rural. We enjoyed that area and slower pace.

Thanks for your feedback!

Old 10-06-2013, 07:21 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Wow, to bad my dad's house is not ready to be sold in Amherst, sounds perfect for you.

If he need to 'travel' alot closer to The Everett Turnpike the better (you will want to get a E-Zpass toll transponder for your cars) .

Amhert school i would say are close to Alpharetta/Roswell Schools.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:38 PM

I think we will be in the market to purchase sometime between mid-November and end of January. We can take advantage of corporate housing if needed which is nice. Glad to hear schools are comparable. He works in the auto industry and will be travelling from dealer to dealer in the NH/MA area. 10 dealers in all (5 in NH and 5 in MA). He actually travels a LOT more here than he will there...his furthest dealer is 3 hours ONE WAY here. He often stays overnight 2-3 weeks a month. So it looks like most of the towns in southern NH will provide more 'home time' which we are all looking forward to.

With his career path, we estimate only to be in NH for 3-5 years. We have been in Iowa for nearly 3 years. We purchased an older home here, which we love, but have had to do some major repairs. Because we are now moving, we won't see the return on those investments. That's why I'm leery of buying something older, unless most the big ticket items have been updated/replaced. Hence why I am drawn to new construction in some of the other outlying towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire